PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/19 6:32 p.m.

My garage has drywall with only a single mudding on it from the builder.  I got to wondering, would something like herculiner work on drywall? I mean it sticks to everything, including hootii.  Is there a downside?  Stupid expensive? Not doing anything soon but wondering if anyone has done something similar?

Thanks!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/15/19 6:41 p.m.

Bed liner might work great, but if it doesn't meet code it will come back to bite you latercrying

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
10/15/19 7:02 p.m.

Biggest question is why anything other than paint?

Personally, I want slatwall panels or white standing seam steel

Bubbal
Bubbal GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/15/19 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

Consider FRP sheets, available at Lowe's.

PMRacing
10/15/19 7:22 p.m.

In reply to Grtechguy :

Durable, water resistant, fills imperfections so no extra mudding needed was my thinking.  Also available in colors. 

Turner: not sure about what code would be required to be met. Any idea?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/15/19 9:13 p.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

Where I live if it is not specifically permitted in the building and fire code it is not allowed, and if they find it you have to remove it. I doubt any bed liner was ever submitted for approval, so not allowed. Just paint the walls white to help with lighting, no need for more than paint on drywall.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
10/15/19 11:16 p.m.

What about whiteboard paint?  Plenty bright to light up the garage and gives you a place to make lists, notes, etc. 

-Rob

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/16/19 6:13 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I've never heard of paint being fire code approved. 

PMRacing
10/16/19 6:25 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I'm lazy and dont want to do another coat of mud and sand everything. wink 

Plus I think buying a whiteboard is cheaper than that type of paint for the quantity needed for my garage.  Of course bedliner paint might not be that cheap either...

This is a thought exercise currently. I still need a deck on our house before I can put more money into the garage.  But if this idea has legs, I'll save it for when the time comes. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/16/19 6:33 a.m.

Just paint it.  Easy to touch up if you need to do so.  I haven't painted mine yet and dont care. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/16/19 7:30 a.m.

I do know they advertise rhino lining for the exterior of houses. It sounds like a bad idea to me on the outside due to moisture trapping (you do not want to hold moisture in wood siding!!) but that says to me it can at least be applied to and expected to be durable on vertical surfaces. 

you could go ahead and paint without another layer of mud. No it won't be smooth but neither will bed liner. I also hate mudding but a garage wall isn't a gallery so no big whoop on a lumpy wall. 

i do like the idea of the FRP sheets. We use those around mop sinks at work and they're really durable and bright and easily cleaned. I bet you could use them as a white board too. Might be pricey. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/19 7:36 a.m.
dculberson said:

I do know they advertise rhino lining for the exterior of houses. It sounds like a bad idea to me on the outside due to moisture trapping (you do not want to hold moisture in wood siding!!) but that says to me it can at least be applied to and expected to be durable on vertical surfaces. 

you could go ahead and paint without another layer of mud. No it won't be smooth but neither will bed liner. I also hate mudding but a garage wall isn't a gallery so no big whoop on a lumpy wall. 

i do like the idea of the FRP sheets. We use those around mop sinks at work and they're really durable and bright and easily cleaned. I bet you could use them as a white board too. Might be pricey. 

Just to add on, these sheets are ~$30 per sheet at my local hardware store. In the interest of science, I did a little heat test on some to make sure it would not melt. I did not get around to a flame test, but it does not melt with heavy application of heat gun.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/16/19 9:38 a.m.

When I built my shop, all my wood-shop-teacher-colleagues strongly recommended just doing the whole thing in plywood "Then you can hang all your stuff on the walls."

Except I don't do wood, and I don't want to clutter the walls with stuff.

Drywall was cheaper than the plywood, but not adding in the 16 buckets of mud it took to finish it to my level of satisfaction.  My shop is my "creative space" and the finished and painted drywalled space brings peace to my world.  I would probably just do plywood if I were to do it again (certainly easier and faster and more durable), though I've gotten VERY good at drywall having done it....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZgS7wBzZdHCkAOPrDHb3jaEFmCWX7q2cu0d5H0tfKaCq3mJUo5rrLxfyGKmXhjrb