1 ... 11 12 13 14
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/14/22 5:38 p.m.

It's below $4 a gallon now where I live.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/22 5:07 p.m.
kb58 said:
frenchyd said:

Around here 87 octane is $4.79 while E85 is $3.59. For a $1.20 less a gallon  and only 2 miles per gallon less.  I keep on buying E85. 

I was under the impression that cars get much worse mileage than just 2mpg, but I don't keep up on the market claims. Here in SoCal, E85 is a very strange thing to see. Pricewise it looks like a deal, but it doesn't square with the reduction in mileage I experience in my turbo car. Once that's taken into account, it's actually a net loss for cost/mile.

How I drive really makes a difference in mileage.   When I first discovered the added power of E85. I was going down an on ramp to the freeway.  In the mirror I was going to merge next to a semi.  
 I floored it and for a second I thought I blew up  because suddenly there was black smoke.  I realized  I had just smoked my tires and in that second I'd gone from about 30 to over 75  !!!  
    Wheeeeee!  The next oil change my rear tires were worn an additional 2/32" Yeh, I'm just and old kid!!  
    Anyway if your car isn't set up for flex fuel it won't properly advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane E85 has over premium  ( 100+ -91-93 )  thus mileage will suffer  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/22 5:11 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
frenchyd said:

Around here 87 octane is $4.79 while E85 is $3.59. For a $1.20 less a gallon  and only 2 miles per gallon less.  I keep on buying E85. 

E85 is always 10 cents cheaper than 87 here.

I do note that the places that sell CNG are at $2.19 per gallon-equivalent.  

Years ago, the shop where I worked was gearing up to do CNG conversions for fleets because of tax breaks and a lot of the benefits seen with EVs with respect to "fueling at home" and reduced maintenance.  The tax breaks didn't materialize and the conversions faltered, although we did convert the shop truck to dual fuel.

I bet a lot of people are regretting not doing the conversions, now.

Local school buses went to CNG. They did have some problems but seemed to  have solved them.   The drivers don't like the CNG because they have to fill up every night versus  every. 2-3 nights with diesel.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/22 5:12 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Hmm--- we are still at $4.69 for 87 octane. And $5.49 for diesel. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/16/22 5:33 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

...and we have the Permian Basin and refineries in nearby Beaumont.

wae
wae PowerDork
7/16/22 6:04 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
frenchyd said:

E85 is always 10 cents cheaper than 87 here.

I do note that the places that sell CNG are at $2.19 per gallon-equivalent.  

Years ago, the shop where I worked was gearing up to do CNG conversions for fleets because of tax breaks and a lot of the benefits seen with EVs with respect to "fueling at home" and reduced maintenance.  The tax breaks didn't materialize and the conversions faltered, although we did convert the shop truck to dual fuel.

I bet a lot of people are regretting not doing the conversions, now.

Local school buses went to CNG. They did have some problems but seemed to  have solved them.   The drivers don't like the CNG because they have to fill up every night versus  every. 2-3 nights with diesel.  

I'm surprised that after the Carrollton crash they allow CNG busses.  I know they made gasoline busses verboten.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/22 6:21 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Hmm--- we are still at $4.69 for 87 octane. And $5.49 for diesel. 

It is kind of funny.  Local to me, stations dropped to 4.39 for 87.  One morning the BP I pass on the way to work was at 4.89, then was at 4.39 the next day.

It is 4.09-4.19 everywhere north of the midway point between Cleveland and Columbus, then jumped to 4.59 south of it.  Usually the price difference is backwards.

93 is still way over $5/gallon.  Gives me an excuse to drive the 87-drinking RX-7 smiley

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/16/22 7:40 p.m.

Thanks, daddy sheetz!

Honestly I'm not exactly sure why this was so cheap. I don't see anything in the news about anything past the fourth of july weekend cheap gas promo. I thought it might have been a grand opening promotion (this station opened like three days ago) but all of the columbus area sheetzes are similarly cheap, even the ones that have been open for months. Anyway, not complaining since my cheap fuel car is currently in the body shop so I'm "stuck" driving the 93 octane only cayman full time.

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/16/22 10:14 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

Where.  I will be in the western intersection of 270 and 70 tomorrow, I may take the Volvo and top up with some of that goodness...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/16/22 10:26 p.m.

Drove through Wisconsin and found 3.89. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
7/16/22 10:27 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

gas tax suspension?

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/16/22 10:56 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

Doubt it, I noted that 93 was $5.19 a half hour north of Columbus, about three-four hours ago...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/16/22 11:13 p.m.

Friday afternoon, Avon, OH Costco (West side of Cleveland) $3.89 regular. 

I had the Prius but I got the 4-5 gallons I could fit in.  Just the previous day I paid $4.78 in Central Pennsylvania 

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/17/22 1:02 a.m.

All of the greater Columbus sheetzes seem to be similarly cheap. I think there's one on the west side somewhere. And it's very much specific to them, not a universal thing unless they're somehow the only brand that have reacted to it.

Edit: looks like some of the other smaller brands (marathon, circle k) are starting to dip into the mid $4 range for 93 and <$4 for 87 at some locations, maybe it is something more universal and sheetz was just the first/most extreme to react to it. Or maybe it's sheetz starting to pull everyone else's prices down.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/22 1:43 a.m.

Seattle Costco today, $4.90/gal 87

Pete. (l33t FS)
7/17/22 1:21 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

There is a Sheetz right here at the corner (Broad and 270) but they are advertising 4.15 or something for 87.  They are also usually really busy.

It is amusing how regional fuel prices are in a given metropolitan area, I think I noted a 50 cent spread or something crazy in Cleveland.

It is usually Speedway bringing everyone else down.  And then there is a 50 cent off coupon you can unlock with a Speedway card (8175 points or somesuch)

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/17/22 1:32 p.m.

Went to Panama City Beach, saw 3.75 at a VP Fuels on US 231 and 4.09 on the beach itself.  Tallahassee seems to average around 4.20-4.30 depending on what side of town you are on. Costco here was 4.05 last Thursday. All prices are for 87 octane.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/5/22 7:55 p.m.

Is this the new norm?

In my area (CA) prices have dropped around $1 / gallon in the last month.   Just saw $5.30 at a local station.  CA gets about 1/2 its crude from outside the US, mostly from Saudi Arabia, Ecuador and Iraq, very little was from Russia (6%).  All is tankered in as there are no pipelines crossing the state lines (as far as I know). 

Crude Oil prices are around $95 / barrel (bounced around $115 one and two months ago).  Refinery use (in the US) is still high (which is typical, from what I can tell).  I am rather certain the huge spike a month ago was mostly speculation of large demand (which did not seem to happen).  If the Russia situation continues for a while more (which seems likely), I suspect the current prices might more be the "new norm"?

There is a report that says refinery capacity (world wide) will be increasing in the next year.  Russia has about 5 million b/d (importantly not really removed from the market, just only accessed by a few now) and there is expectation that 4 b/d will be added back in in the next few years.   So, potentially side-stepping Russia?  I am not sure this helps the US since I don't think the US tankers in refined product, so I suspect there is still potential for bad things with the less than motivated US refining market and the "less then helpful" (in this area) US energy policy.

As far as crude supply?  I don't know.  It never seemed that critical.  It may have creeped up a bit, and most of this, as noted previously, seems to be heavily driven by speculation of what might happen.  Maybe winter demand will be an issue?

There is the aspect of new sanctions on Russia, but I don't see how that would make zero any lower, and of course the freezing Germans in winter (unreliable gas from Russia), but I am not sure that affects the US, just Europe.

In its June 2022 Oil Market Report, the IEA expects net global refining capacity to expand by 1.0 million b/d in 2022 and by an additional 1.6 million b/d in 2023. New refining capacity growth includes several high-profile, high-capacity refinery projects underway, particularly in China and the Middle East, which could add more than 4.0 million b/d of new capacity over the next two years.

https://tankterminals.com/news/eia-new-refineries-will-increase-global-refining-capacity-in-2022-and-2023-china-leads/

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/5/22 8:07 p.m.

I finally saw a station that had gas for less than $4/gal.  But the local station near us is still at $4.09

Edit to clarify regular grade, not mid or premium 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/5/22 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

They're giving the stuff away at my local Sam's Club for only $3.59

At a new Sheetz opened this week in Lorain (30 minutes from me) their leading a pissing match at $3.38

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
8/5/22 8:55 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I want some of that over here & maybe I can start driving the Jaaaaag again.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/5/22 9:07 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

$3.50-3.70/gal between Franklin and Columbus this week, so there's hope.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/5/22 9:21 p.m.

Filled up the Infiniti for 3.58 @ Costco yesterday morning. Saw 3.48 @ Sam's Club this afternoon. The other stations are around 3.70 to 3.90 depending on where in town you are.  One Circle K is still at 4.17, not sure what's happening there as another Circle K on the same street about a half mile away is at 3.79.

North Florida (Tallahassee)

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/5/22 9:35 p.m.

My little area of SW Ohio still seems stuck at $4.339 and higher.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/5/22 9:44 p.m.

$4.98 for 91 this week.

Was $5.49 on 6/16.

SW PA

Still ain't happy. frown

1 ... 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2NIvQBXQ4U1p0OuBGvxMwGpW7Exm2eSxIHPjWobklgciYEO5VwmagL5poBt61tsl