1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Puddy46
Puddy46 New Reader
6/6/22 8:43 p.m.

Just got back from a trip to visit my brother in Illinois, and prices ranged from $4.79 to $5.25 for the trip, with the typical price between $4.99 and $5.09.  Except for the station that is  literally the closest to my house, which was $4.67.   

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/6/22 8:53 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

How soon before we have a "Cash for Guzzlers" program where you can trade your big SUV in for an EV. You know it's coming.

That would require manufacturers to have piles of unsold EVs sitting on lots all over the country.  Most of the reason for Cash for Clunkers was as an incentive to get consumers to buy new cars.  Considering manufacturers are selling cars faster than they can build them, that's not really an issue. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/22 11:09 a.m.

Anyone else thinking about hoarding up gas to save money on future price increases? I have 6~10gal storage capacity...

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/7/22 11:12 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

I'm waiting with cash in hand for big suv prices to drop.  It happened after Katrina.  

I'm already seeing this, at least with the older suburbans. 

...and if you can't afford to put gas in it you can live in the damned thing.

6/7/22 11:13 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Anyone else thinking about hoarding up gas to save money on future price increases? I have 6~10gal storage capacity...

I could fill the tank in the motorhome and then siphon it out as needed to the scooter or the Miata.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/7/22 11:17 a.m.

The Apprentice drives a Tundra, is spending $800/month on gas right now and asked about my Echo on the weekend. The one he'd previously laughed at.

I then looked to see what people were asking for them and was not surprised to see more than a few almost 20 year old Echo's with $5000 asking prices

6/7/22 11:19 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

...wanna buy my old Geo Metro? The one with the three cylinder engine? devil

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/7/22 11:35 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

How soon before we have a "Cash for Guzzlers" program where you can trade your big SUV in for an EV. You know it's coming.

I positted this exact question a couple of pages ago.  ;-)

Just filled up my K3500 for $4.85/ gal yesterday.  Most of the other stations are just about to crest the $5 mark.  14 gallons, according to fuelly that tank was 12.8 mpg.  Not too shabby for a crew cab long bed 4x4, on a tank I towed two cars with. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/22 11:44 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

ug, I really hope not!! If people start doing that it would be an environmental disaster in the name of saving a few cents!

GameboyRMH
6/7/22 12:16 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
GameboyRMH said:

ug, I really hope not!! If people start doing that it would be an environmental disaster in the name of saving a few cents!

From all the Hummers with trash bags full of gasoline in the back burning down, or something else? laugh

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/22 1:00 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Hahaha.

No, just storing large amounts of gas in mostly open to the atmosphere containers would allow LOTS of icky to evaporate.

This is why charcoal canisters and evap systems are a thing, because sizeable amounts of pollution come simply from gasoline evaporating unchecked.

Heck, in the early days of EFI, Jaguar ran all it's fuel lines through the AC before returning to the tank because the fuel would otherwise get too hot and the fuel would evaporate out of the tanks. (Seriously! Jaguar couldn't pass US emissions without doing this).

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

From what I've been hearing over the last 6-months or so something in the fuel formulation has changed, causing gas to go bad in as little as 2-months. I guess that might explain why my mower(which was serviced less than 2 years ago) needs a shot of ether when I need to start it every few weeks. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
6/8/22 1:47 p.m.

gas prices in my area are at 5.30 for regular unleaded now, in southeast Michigan. 

It cost me $50 in May in electricity for both of my cars. Not sure how much I drove but I'm sure it's a lot more than 10 gallons of gas would get me. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/22 7:37 a.m.

It's the start of hurricane season here. This is usually when I turn over my store of generator gas. I've got about 36 gallons of ethanol free, with Stabil in it, plus another eight in the generator. 

I don't think I'll change out the fuel! I ran the generator a few days ago and it started and ran fine.

The tank on the GMT 400 is nearly full as well, although it doesn't have any stabilizer in it, plus it's also E 10. 

Cheeks
Cheeks New Reader
6/9/22 8:50 a.m.

we just hit the 5 dollar mark here in PA, 4.99 everywhere now 

like others, I'm waiting for the diesel market to drop like a rock and will scoop in and buy a dmax when the time is right 

wae
wae PowerDork
6/9/22 9:12 a.m.

I've started running the numbers based on how much driving I have to do every month what with the kids and all.  If all I did was take the kids to school, pick them up, go to church on Saturday, my mom & dad's on Sunday, Kroger once a week, and went to the shop and back 3 days a week, I could save over $450 a month based on the current electricity costs and Costco gas prices by ditching the Excursion and getting something electric.  Even with diesel at $5.27/gal, the Merc would save me $235/month right now. 

I'm starting to get a little bit serious about maybe just forgetting about ever towing anything again and getting something cheap, small, and electric.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/22 9:43 a.m.

I'd just be happy to track down the leak on my excursion. That first quarter tank just disappears and I have fuel smell for days after a fill up. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/22 10:46 a.m.

I wasn't happy about the price when I bought my 08 civic coupe last month.

That's changed. Filled up last night, calculated 30.4 mpg from my combined commute and town driving. It's rated at 26/34 on the fuel economy.gov site, and I got 33 on two consecutive tanks driving 80+ on a road trip.

The Ralliart would get 23 +/- on my regular driving, 25 at those speeds on the highway. 

edit: diesel pump next to me was stopped at $100. Seventeen gallons. Too bad for the brodozer crowd, but sucks if you really need  a diesel. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/9/22 11:51 a.m.

My daily-driver ND Miata is averaging 1,000 miles/month and 34 MPG on premium. $130/month in gas. Mazda corporate has been sending me customer surveys since buying, and one of the questions was "At what gas price would you seriously consider a BEV or PHEV to replace your current vehicle?" and honestly I didn't know. If it doubles again to $10/gal, that's $260/month. I think I can afford that. 2 years ago it would have been $75/month. I would try to WFH a lot more often to bring mileage down before selling this car. But what if it triples to $15/gal? That's over $400/month, which is approaching new-car payment territory. That's probably when I would sell or stop DD'ing my Miata.

So, GRM, I wonder - what price/gal would gas have to hit, long-term, for you to seriously consider BEV or PHEV to replace your ICE car as an everyday vehicle? 

volvoclearinghouse
6/9/22 12:18 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

edit: diesel pump next to me was stopped at $100. Seventeen gallons. Too bad for the brodozer crowd, but sucks if you really need  a diesel. 

You mean, like every single product that every single person uses in this country?

volvoclearinghouse
6/9/22 12:23 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

So, GRM, I wonder - what price/gal would gas have to hit, long-term, for you to seriously consider BEV or PHEV to replace your ICE car as an everyday vehicle? 

The problem is, this wouldn't be confined to just GRM.  If gasoline was $10 per gallon for everyone, then everyone would be out there shopping for electric vehicles. And suddenly instead of 600,000 EVs being sold per year here (last year's figure) the demand would be 10x.  Production would not be able to ramp up quickly enough, and prices for EVs would skyrocket accordingly- meaning, it would still make sense to keep driving your ICE car, even though the fuel is $500 a month, because the payment on the cheapest EV would be way more than that. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/9/22 1:30 p.m.

Gas is $5.25 in southern Indiana now. I have three cross country trips with an enclosed trailer behind my 8.1 suburban coming up this year....budget is going to be really tight. Guess I should have ponied up and bought a sprinter or something.

I don't think I'd ever consider a BEV to replace it though, because I drive across the country too much. And for a commuter I just want something cheap, and we are a ways away from the days of a $5k-$10k BEV with any kind of range. Until then, there are plenty of Civics, Insights, Geo Metros, and other tiny things with three pedals on the market that get the job done.

GameboyRMH
6/9/22 2:17 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

My daily-driver ND Miata is averaging 1,000 miles/month and 34 MPG on premium. $130/month in gas. Mazda corporate has been sending me customer surveys since buying, and one of the questions was "At what gas price would you seriously consider a BEV or PHEV to replace your current vehicle?" and honestly I didn't know. If it doubles again to $10/gal, that's $260/month. I think I can afford that. 2 years ago it would have been $75/month. I would try to WFH a lot more often to bring mileage down before selling this car. But what if it triples to $15/gal? That's over $400/month, which is approaching new-car payment territory. That's probably when I would sell or stop DD'ing my Miata.

Probably even more than that because I don't drive much, and most of the driving I do by mileage is recreational. Since I otherwise have no intentions of changing cars any time soon, right now it would take a truly apocalyptic gas price for me to shell out thousands of dollars for a used Leaf out of a sheer need to save on gas. I'm less likely to ever buy an EV to save on gas than I am to buy one to save on repairs or even just for fun/performance reasons.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/22 2:25 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Gas prices are really really far down the list of reasons we want an EV or hybrid. 

Most likely in 2 years when Thing 1 gets the civic, it will be replaced with a hybrid or full on EV depending on price, availability, and if it meets the wife's requirements for her next vehicle. Basically "bigger than the civic smaller than excursion, backup camera, heated seats". 

If I could have found the leaf donors cheap enough and convinced my friend NissanTech, I'd have already done my first swap when I had the Ranger. 

With Canyonero being an 8.5mpg (last tank from half full) pig, you'd think I'd want to replace it first. 870 miles in the past year, under 5k miles in the last 5 years across 4 vehicles tell me I need to worry more about rust taking it off the road than the cost of fuel. Even if fuel doubles, we still get lots of grocery points, and I plan my fillups around them already. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/22 2:51 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I'm in a similar situation. Since WHF started there are months when I only fill up the minivan tank once.  I was all about getting an EV when I was commuting - at that was before gas prices tripled. Mostly out of pure laziness of not wanting to buy gas.  However, my biggest hold-up is there isn't an EV that does what I need a daily driver to do - which is be a minivan or even a full-size van. Ford is building an E-Transit - for Europe. And apparently they do not have a timeline on when it will come to the US. Yay. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4UJFbwdgCyZLqSDdZE6ctwCTaQDzfCnfJMpkFVFAa84Pn4QVHuDLQQn7vXpfIvJB