1 ... 5 6 7 8
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/20/19 3:48 p.m.
dculberson said:

Expecting laws to stay the same forever is not reasonable. Laws change, and sometimes those changed laws affect people that are already living somewhere. I could come up with dozens of examples from mundane to enormous. It doesn't make it unreasonable. Nice of you to know what "the issue" is. To me, "the issue" is people that seem to want to live like animals.

RevRico has a problem with a neighbor with roosters, and rails against him and threatens to kill the roosters. Then also says, people should be able to do whatever the hell they want on their own property. Which is it? Because the two are not compatible.

It's quite simple really. I should have added an asterisk, but let's break it down. People SHOULD be free to do what they want. Whenever, wherever, but especially on their own property. Provided they aren't being a vajajay to others. 

I would rather every single house on my street be packed with rusted out hulks of metal than have a berkeleying rooster around. Why? Because no rusting hunks of metal wake my kid up at the asscrack of dawn or echo their berkeleying noise all through the valley all goddamn day long. That's crossing the "being a vajajay to others" line far more than some broken down cars or some old tractors that don't make any noise. Hell, I'd rather have the loudmouth drunk and her dog that never shutup move back in over a rooster because that doesn't echo and didn't start till noon, and that bitch tried to have me arrested for trespassing on MY OWN property. 

When you are affecting the lives of others, you have a problem. I don't really see how some junk is really negatively affecting others, but I also don't know why people voluntarily live next to each other in neighborhoods where this could become an issue. People suck, why the hell would you want to live near them or be surrounded by them?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/20/19 3:55 p.m.

oldopelguy said:

In the case of the roosters there's a noise issue that actually affects RevRico.  In the case of a junk car unless it is actually leaking something that affects the neighborhood it is only affecting people who choose to look at it and get offended. 

Nope.  Even if Pheller is not at all offended by the junk car pile in his neighbor's yard, it is impacting the resale of his home, his finances, and his flexibility to leave.

oldopelguy said:

I personally think that a yard full of faded plastic child toys is way worse to look at than a car, but I am clearly in the minority there. Would anyone argue that trying to ban playschool stuff wasn't a dick move?

I would absolutely argue banning kids stuff is the wrong approach.  I am 100% on board with a 'don't leave kids stuff scattered about your yard' rule because it looks like trash and does devalue neighboring homes, just as keeping automotive trash on your property does.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/20/19 4:23 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

hey guys, check it out.   people are arguing on the internet and no one is changing their position.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/20/19 5:23 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

hey guys, check it out.   people are arguing on the internet and no one is changing their position.

False. I've left the house several times during the course of this thread. laugh

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/20/19 5:33 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Nope.  Even if Pheller is not at all offended by the junk car pile in his neighbor's yard, it is impacting the resale of his home, his finances, and his flexibility to leave.

I get that even if the house was bought at a lower value because that sort of thing was already common it is affecting the value. However, if you go into that sort of situation willingly and then try to change it, you should expect pushback. On the flip side of that, if the home values are depressed because of the neighborhood, taxes may be low. So, cleaning it up may very well also affect people's finances, and they wouldn't see any return on that unless they sold after a property value increase. 

The bottom line is that living in a society is fraught with compromise, things that piss you off, things that piss other people off and things that just don't make sense sometimes.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/19 5:39 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

I'd call it a philosophy discussion. We all have differing ideas on how things should be run. We will never agree, but it doesn't hurt to hash it out every now and again. It opens the mind and make you take a critical look at your own beliefs. 

We pretty much fell out where we usually do, so at least we are consistent. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
6/20/19 6:22 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

And i do the same. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
6/20/19 6:40 p.m.
Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/20/19 6:57 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Again, Pheller, i am glad to file a complaint as a potential buyer.  

So you’re willing to file a complaint against someone you’ve never met,  in regards to a property you’ve never seen,  on behalf of someone you’ve never met,  based on a thread on an Internet forum?

How would you plan to file the complaint?  Would you be honest and use your real name and address or would you lie about that as well as about being a potential buyer?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
6/20/19 7:13 p.m.
Cotton said:
Justjim75 said:

Again, Pheller, i am glad to file a complaint as a potential buyer.  

So you’re willing to file a complaint against someone you’ve never met,  in regards to a property you’ve never seen,  on behalf of someone you’ve never met,  based on a thread on an Internet forum?

How would you plan to file the complaint?  Would you be honest and use your real name and address or would you lie about that as well as about being a potential buyer?

He sees it as a philosophy discussion....

He also made up some random elderly guy and told me to "read the thread"

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/20/19 7:24 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

problem solved.

This thread is already a "dumpster fire."   How about we add to it the topic of building a wall (even if it is a green wall.). 

You know, to the make the neighborhood great again. 

Edit: since someone might not get the "humor" and sarcasm, let me be clear that we should not add these points

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
6/20/19 7:28 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/20/19 8:11 p.m.

I find this thread fascinating as I look diagonally across the street at my neighbor who is constructing some sort of structure in his front yard while blaring music loud enough that I can feel in the far opposite corner of my house at 9pm.  The structure has no foundation/slab but appears to be at least 15x15ish, and I can guarantee is not permitted in any way.  Its *probably* right at the legal limit for shed sizes if he is smart, but I have my doubts about that.

If my son is awakened by his music I won't hesitate to call the cops.  I don't have the energy to go over there and 'discuss' this with him, and the police have stopped by many many many times for noise complaints in the past - he is well aware of the rules.

I'm undecided on what to do about the structure, but I'm sure it will make selling my house fun in the spring.  sad

I learned the hard way that my next house will be somewhere in city limits with stronger ordinances, and/or a small HOA.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/20/19 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

He didn’t make up the elderly man. Maybe a reread is in order for you?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
6/20/19 8:33 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

He said the house was owned by an elderly man when he moved in, and this guy came after and started piling up stuff. That is 100% wrong. The guy was already there and it was already starting to be full of junk. 

Pheller said it was managed/rented by the current owners father, not that the father lived there. Maybe the current guy is 35 and the Father died at 55?

Please show me where Pheller said an elderly man lived there, I must be missing it. 

Edit: I just read through it. Pheller never says an elderly man lived in the house, the first mention is buy justjim, and a few others say the "junkyard" guy moved in AFTER Pheller did, so Pheller was getting screwed by "the new guy", which is not what happened.  If you read, the "junkyard guy" moved into the house before Pheller bought his, (but not long before) and the yard was already a mess (but hidden by snow?)

You are now the 2nd person telling me to "read the thread" who is wrong about what they are reading, maybe you should lean to comprehend what you read.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/20/19 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Can we just agree that there has been change across the street and it is not for the better?  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
6/20/19 9:27 p.m.

if not shrubbery then how about a neighborly talk?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/20/19 10:18 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:You are now the 2nd person telling me to "read the thread" who is wrong about what they are reading, maybe you should lean to comprehend what you read.

Maybe you should work on being an established member of a community before you start being a jerk to the active members of it.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/20/19 10:23 p.m.
dculberson said:
Steve_Jones said:You are now the 2nd person telling me to "read the thread" who is wrong about what they are reading, maybe you should lean to comprehend what you read.

Maybe you should work on being an established member of a community before you start being a jerk to the active members of it.

So he is the one being the jerk?  You are overly condescending to him, “Maybe a reread is in order for you?”,  yet you’re the one that’s wrong,  but instead of just admitting it you come back with that.  Well,  that’s one way to handle being wrong apparently.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/20/19 11:20 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

He accused someone of having "made up" an elderly man that was definitely in the thread. I pointed out that he was not made up. Yet I'm the wrong one? He said: 'He also made up some random elderly guy and told me to "read the thread" ' which was completely false.

I get it you support the junky yard, that's your right of course. But please don't confuse a person's position on the discussion with civility.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/21/19 12:12 a.m.

Sure, we all have the right to be jerks, maybe let's try to be humane to our fellow man.

I feel like some of us our losing that.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/21/19 6:34 a.m.

IBTL?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/21/19 7:37 a.m.
dculberson said:

Yes, because that's worked so well for you sad

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
6/21/19 7:48 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Cotton :

He accused someone of having "made up" an elderly man that was definitely in the thread. I pointed out that he was not made up. Yet I'm the wrong one? He said: 'He also made up some random elderly guy and told me to "read the thread" ' which was completely false.

I get it you support the junky yard, that's your right of course. But please don't confuse a person's position on the discussion with civility.

Please show me where anyone mentions an elderly man before the guy I said made him up. He doesn’t exist until that point. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/21/19 8:24 a.m.

Just as an update, I did call the cops on my neighbor last night.  He lived there before I moved in, and was violating the law.

Please proceed to tell me this is a 'dick move' smiley

1 ... 5 6 7 8

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
c6r0kBs5cAEO4LPm3gh70GYc6Hu565dEpekILZcqtjfvb5CGb08be0AAYtvqQufK