1 2
QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/22 3:32 p.m.

What is your favorite day of the week? Mine is Tuesday. 

On October 31, 2021 my wife and I started eating healthy to lose weight. We were both well into the 300lb range and it needed to change. We were active. Our tests like cholesterol and A1C all came back healthy but we were big so we aggressively attacked our carbohydrate, sugar, HFCS, fat and calorie intake. We did very well. Both of us have lost at least 100lbs. 

Hurray us!

With this new regiment we adopted a healthy taco Tuesday. It's really the best gastronomical day of our week. We both are great cooks but something about our southwest combinations just makes me smile. 

Tuesday August 30 was an excellent Taco Tuesday. Shredded beef, low fat refried beans, home made guacamole and salsa fresh out of our garden.

After dinner I felt stuffed. Which is odd because I didn't really eat a lot. We watched a show with the children, I took a shower and we watched another show as we laid down to bed. 

Please understand that we are in bed early, like by 8pm. The alarm goes off at 3:00am and I'm at work at 4:30am for 10-12 hour shifts. 

I felt off at 8:30. Tacos? Gas? I'll wait till poop o'clock and be right as rain. By 10:30 I was certain it wasn't gas. I was experiencing pain from my neck to my upper abdomen and from my right bicep to my left. Uncertain of what it might be I went and drank a large amount of water and downed a couple Naproxen Sodium. 

11:30 was decision time. I woke Kelly up and we were off to the ER. I described my experience and the good people quickly ran me back. BP was 185/139 pulse rate 33. That's not good. Checked the electricals, pulled some oil out for testing, and started diagnosing the issue. Hour 1: nothing conclusive. Obviously something was wrong but troponin was at 20 indicating no heart attack. BP still way high. Hour 2: troponin level hits 44. Uh oh. Time for nitro!

The Hospitals in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek are related, they share resources and since the pandemic and manpower shortages they have shifted specific services to one hospital or the other. The coronary care unit for Bronson hospital is in Kalamazoo. I was in Battle Creek. 

So my BP was stabilized. We still didn't know what was going on and now we were waiting on a bus to Kalamazoo. Since Wally doesn't control this particular bussing system I had to wait until Thursday at 7:00am.

At 2:00pm I went in for a heart cath to determine what was actually happening. 100% blockage of my Right Coronary Artery and two more spots that had more than 50%. Two stents immediately to open up the 100% blockage, scheduled the others for 2 weeks out and 24 hours later my wife is driving me home wearing this shirt. 

I want to thank all of you that reached out while i was down. I've got about four weeks of "required down time" because it was a heart attack after all. 

The bottom line is don't lose weight, don't create cliche' dinner days and water is bad. 

Or

Listen to your body, because even if you feel great and are doing better something inside of you can try to kill you.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/22 3:36 p.m.

Holy crap! I'm glad you're okay!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/22 3:36 p.m.

Heart attack and all from that picture I can tell you've lost a lot of weight since I last saw you.  Rest and listen to the doctors.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/3/22 3:37 p.m.

Geez!

Glad we're getting a full story from you instead of a short blurb in the papers. Glad you're walking around and wearing stupid t-shirts.

In reply to Beer Baron :

And best of all, no thread titled QuasiMofo!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/3/22 5:41 p.m.

Heart attacks scare me.  The average person can't predict em.

Found out today that one of my wife's older cousins (60s) died of one 4 days back.  He had always been on the heavier side,  300+lbs.  Within the past 4 years he dropped 120ish lbs and was looking great. 

Completely unexpected. 

Glad you caught it in time.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
9/3/22 5:43 p.m.

Yea, J, good to know you are ok. Whew. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/22 6:11 p.m.

Holy cow!  Glad to hear you are alright. 

Sometimes you just need to listen when your own body is telling you something.

Take it easy and take care!

Scott

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/3/22 6:25 p.m.

Damn, dude. Glad you're on the mend. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
9/3/22 6:43 p.m.

Nobody our age should be having coronary events.    Glad you caught this one in time!

Probably time for another stress test....

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/22 7:40 p.m.

Wow> I'm glad you're still on the right side of the dirt.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
9/3/22 7:49 p.m.

Congrats on living thru it!

I had the bad one and died in the ER 2 years ago, the good news being I was in the ER so the trained people and right machinery were right there - a set of jumper cables and they got me going again. Then into the cath lab and one stent later I'm right as rain again!

I was never overweight and had good bloodwork, my cholesterol was 50 good over 35 bad, so no issues there either and still I managed to get a clogged LAD - the one that can kill you!

My only point being - listen to you body - it will tell you when something is wrong - then act on it before it's too late!

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/22 8:09 p.m.

Wow, glad for both that the cath lab was able to get things stented ooen quickly!!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/3/22 8:52 p.m.

Quadruple bypass at 58.  Never a second of angina, definitely out of shape.  Generally healthy, 50 pounds overweight, non smoker, self employment stress levels. Went to the doctor and basically insisted on a stress test, failed, cath lab, failed, 8 weeks later, on the table.  Widowmaker left decending artery 93% blocked.

Why did I go?  Dad died at 56...

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/22 8:53 p.m.

Let's hear it for modern medicine! I'm glad you're doing well. 

I'm a few weeks away from 67, you've definitely got my attention. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/3/22 8:59 p.m.

Heart caths are berkeleyin weird. That is all. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/3/22 9:48 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Heart caths are berkeleyin weird. That is all. 

Yes they are.  The tubes squeaking around inside my neck were very odd.  Doc insisted I couldn't hear anything, and I was stoned out of my head, I suppose.  Maybe just felt it, but I'd swear I heard it.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/3/22 9:58 p.m.

Very glad to hear you're (mostly) OK, John. And I have to wonder if you'd still be with us if you hadn't already taken those steps to get healthier. IOW, good job and keep it up.

And it's yet another warning that I need to do something about my own fat ass.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/3/22 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, true, but by far the biggest contributor to coronary artery disease is genetic.

Lotsa skinny folk die from heart attacks, too, so if your fat father died early, your skinny ass isn't remotely immune. (The generic you, not you.)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/3/22 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Yeah, I was laying there and apparently I'm fairly resistant to anesthesia, because I was WIDE awake watching the screen and hearing the thing click in chest. 0/10 do not recommend. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/4/22 8:53 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

And best of all, no thread titled QuasiMofo!

+more

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/22 2:57 p.m.

Oh man!!! So glad to hear you're ok!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/4/22 3:12 p.m.

Holy hell!  Be good to yourself Harold.  This makes me say Jmf'ingB!  

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
9/4/22 3:31 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

Is there a major win thread?  If not then this is it.   Kudos for taking the signs seriously and getting to the ER.  Rest up and good luck in the coming weeks with the additional procedures.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/4/22 4:24 p.m.
tremm said:

Glad to hear you went immediately and were cared for.

Are heart problems something you can test for? Like, can you get an XYZ checkup every 18 months or something, before the stage where you start noticing symptoms yourself?

Yes, but a lot of it is pretty expensive.  Family history?  Stress?  Smoker? Fat?  Male? Talk to your doctor about a stress test from about about age 50 or so...  there's a lot of dudes drop off their perch in the 55-65 year old range, and it catches them by surprise.  You might get lucky and have a little wakeup call.  I would have been dead before I hit the floor where my blockage was.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3ReOeFBRz4VgW9u54tnQk1eM7hrd9LoGLShHUQD6pmvKMC5u4SiqUwm46yME5hfr