Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/10/22 11:58 a.m.

So, i want to be more handsfree driving. 

I use my android phone for gps, music streaming and personal stuff, and my iPhone for business. Often simultaneously. 

Aftermarket stereos with screen mirroring or android auto will set the connected android to default, and not allow handfree bluetooth of the iphone. 

Kenwood can do dual bluetooth without screen mirroring though. So thats an option. 

However, id like a better solution than hanging my phone for the map display. 

Any ideas? I see the cheap gps huds on Ebay and Amazon,  no idea how they work. 

Maybe a standalone external screen? 

Im out of my depth, and crutchfield cant get me there from here apparently. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/10/22 12:20 p.m.

Our new Durango has dual phone connectivity that allows one phone to do android auto or carplay and the other to run phone through bluetooth.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/10/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

Unfortunately I am at the mercy of the aftermarket on this one. I am outfitting my new to me 2006 Prius to do what I do for work

karussell
karussell New Reader
2/11/22 4:05 a.m.

I think aftermarket HUDs only display RPM and speed. There was a HUD called Navdy(navigation, music control, and etc), but the company went bankrupt a couple of years ago.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/11/22 7:44 a.m.

In reply to karussell :

Man, that looks exactly like what I want!

Theres another out there now thats similar, but doesn't seem to be able to split output between bluetooth on stereo and hud. 

I think what i want may actually not exist anymore. If it ever did in the aftermarket. 

Wonder if its possible to split signal out of the phone. Video to a standalone screen for gps, and rest to the stereo? This would potentially allow me to run both phones via bluetooth, and still jave a bigger nav screen. 

Alternatively, is there a way to slave the iPhone through my android so that all the calls come to my android or are made through it? Then i only have to hook pne pho e to the car. 

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
2/11/22 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I know for the first gen Mazda 6, there was a screen that could replace the bin in the top of the dash. Could also get a nav system, had a port that you could hookup a computer to.  I don't know if the Prius has a similar space like that.  
Something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Android-10-1-Car-Stereo-Radio-GPS-Navi-WIFI-MP5-Player-For-Mazda-6-2004-2014-/154607052209?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Honestly, I would probably put a magnetic mount on the drivers side for the android gps and just run it there.  Then connect the iPhone to the main stereo. I put in a dual USB port in one of the switch blanks on the driver side of my Venza and have a goose neck magnetic mount in the space between the little triangle window in front of the door and the gauge pod

my phone goes right above that vent. There are some nice telescoping mounts that let you get it out far enough that it isn't a long reach. Just need to have the gps volume up to hear. 

the_machina
the_machina Reader
2/11/22 8:59 a.m.

Another crazy idea:

Grab a cheap android-auto compatible stereo, and use that for maps, music, personal messages for your android.

Grab a cheap bluetooth speaker-phone (like this: Amazon.com: beyerdynamic PHONUM Bluetooth/USB Speakerphone - Beamforming Mics with 360° Voice-Tracking, Active Noise Cancelling, Compatible w/All Leading Platforms and Hardware Including Zoom, 12 Hour Battery : Office Products ) and stick it on top of the dash using some velcro.

When you get a work call, you just mute your stereo using the button on the steering wheel and talk through the speaker-phone, all hands free.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/11/22 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Wxdude10 - Mike :

Thats actually a really good idea! I hadn't considered adding a usb port over there, and had hated the idea of cables laying everywhere (drives my ocd nuts). That added usb port would allow a short, tidy charge port and the phone in my line of sight for gps. 

Genius!

Dusterbd13-michael
2/11/22 9:36 a.m.

In reply to the_machina :

I never thought of that! This is why i love this place. Ideas other than the ones in my head. I yet stuck on a solution and can't see options. 

Thanks!!!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/11/22 6:23 p.m.

ProClips makes a left hand mount for the Gen2.  I have not used but they have a good reputation fro years past.  

Another offer:

Dusterbd13-michael
2/13/22 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Wxdude10 - Mike :

Do you have a link to the usb port you used?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/13/22 11:01 a.m.

The Toyota size seems to be somewhat common over the years but slightly different in size  in some years/models.  Like there was a common size and then an update to that common size.  However, this one quickly found on ebay says 2006 Prius compatible.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401600397968?fits=Make%3AToyota&hash=item5d813fc290:g:6cQAAOSww5lfhpjp

In the second page of questions someone answered that yes, this is correct for 2006 Prius

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CTOKI06/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01CTOKI06&linkCode=as2&tag=certified106-20&linkId=d3939e0c1bc43f8d85ebd83531e2a6d6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cGXwwW7ekuwHzfDj1relIupBmRzLSHAjcR2YdqqWBzG10nB5gSFfeGUZD7Ut0fC0