1 2 3 4
wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/10/10 7:34 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
griffin729 wrote: I'm paraphrasing here but: Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Understeer is when you hit it with the front.
HP is how fast you hit it and torque is how far you drag it.

if you've noticed that is my sig.... ( I, of course didn't come up with it on my own )

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/10/10 8:04 p.m.

'Stay in the throttle till you see God... then stay in it a little longer'.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/10/10 8:33 p.m.

Jay Leno on Top Gear. "You know, race car driving is like sex. All men think they are good at it."

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
3/10/10 9:52 p.m.

Never run out of grip, real estate and ideas at the same time.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
3/11/10 8:57 p.m.

this is funny though and great comments....

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/11/10 9:40 p.m.

"Oh E36 M3, this is going to hurt."

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
3/11/10 9:49 p.m.

"There's nothing I can't do with a race car" -Cole Trickle

(sorry everyone--I had to )

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
3/11/10 9:54 p.m.

These always bring me a smile:

announcer Barrie Gill to a sidelined Ronnie Peterson at the 1975 International Trophy (Silverstone) BG:Ronnie, what do you think of the race thus far? RP:I think that I should be in it..

Another good one from the Carrera Panamericana; I think that it was Clay Smith who said, after a reporter asked him what he would do if his Lincoln were to go into the crowd; 'I'd turn on the wipers.'

This last one is not a one-liner, and I'm also paraphrasing, but it is one of my favorites--

uninformed newspaper reporter, via telephone to Jim Clark: 'Mr. Clark, what would you say will be your most difficult challenge in this race?'

Clark: 'That would be...Hill'

Reporter: 'And which hill is that, sir?'

Clark: 'Oh, I'm sorry, It's Graham Hill.'

Reporter:'Thank you, and just how high is that one?'

CLICK

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/12/10 6:09 a.m.

A great race driver comfortably runs at 4/10ths while the competition scrambles to come up with more speed at 10/10ths.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/12/10 8:35 a.m.

borrowed cars are faster....

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
3/12/10 8:39 a.m.
Gubby wrote: "There's nothing I can't do with a race car" -Cole Trickle (sorry everyone--I had to )

I know Cole Trickle. He always goes to the outside. --Russ Wheeler

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
3/12/10 11:22 a.m.

"If you guys had any real balls you'd race back down this mountain!" --Michele Mouton, at the top of Pike's Peak after taking the overall win --Thus earning her place in the pantheon of immortals

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/10 12:27 p.m.
aeronca65t wrote: "Anything worth doing is worth doing to an excess."- Bolus and Snopes Racing (from Car & Driver magazine, back when it was good)

Funny, my roommate in university had the same slogan...

My favorite:

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy New Reader
3/12/10 9:14 p.m.

Ken Schrader, any number of times after he was hit by another driver: "It was half my fault. After all, I chose to be out there."

novaderrik
novaderrik New Reader
3/15/10 6:52 p.m.

"i didn't mean to spin him, i just meant to rattle his cage"- Dale Earnhardt, Sr after spinning Terry Labonte in turn 4 on the last lap at Bristol.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/10 7:09 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: "i didn't mean to spin him, i just meant to rattle his cage"- Dale Earnhardt, Sr after spinning Terry Labonte in turn 4 on the last lap at Bristol.

F-in Hammerhead....

Will
Will HalfDork
3/15/10 8:05 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: "i didn't mean to spin him, i just meant to rattle his cage"- Dale Earnhardt, Sr after spinning Terry Labonte in turn 4 on the last lap at Bristol.

Let's remember that was the SECOND time Earnhardt spun Labonte from the lead in that race.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
3/16/10 6:16 a.m.

"When in doubt... Flat out" Colin Mcrae

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
3/16/10 8:51 a.m.
Will wrote:
Let's remember that was the SECOND time Earnhardt spun Labonte from the lead in that race.

Yeah - coming from an Earnhardt fan, that was pretty blatant.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/16/10 9:22 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture said: "When in doubt... Flat out" Colin Mcrae

I always thought that is was "When in doubt...Throttle Out!"

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/10 9:59 a.m.
maroon92 wrote:
BobOfTheFuture said: "When in doubt... Flat out" Colin Mcrae
I always thought that is was "When in doubt...Throttle Out!"

How I heard it.

When in doubt and you ain't sure what it's all about, just stand on it.

Not about racing, but just because I can. Shut her down Rube, she's sucking too much mud.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
3/16/10 10:50 a.m.

I hope this is true. I read it about 35 years ago.

Jackie Stewart practicing for one of his first Grands Prix has the throttle stick going into the Curva Grande at Monza. Later at the press conference, he describes knocking the car into neutral, a big spin..."Just incredible I didn't hit anything. I thought it was all over, for sure."

The reporters sit there in awe until, from a corner of the room, Jim Clark asks softly: "So, Jackie, you ordinarily back off there?"

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte New Reader
3/16/10 12:52 p.m.

Taken from another website,can anyone give proper credit? "My drinking team has a racing problem."

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
3/16/10 1:23 p.m.
chuckles wrote: I hope this is true. I read it about 35 years ago. Jackie Stewart practicing for one of his first Grands Prix has the throttle stick going into the Curva Grande at Monza. Later at the press conference, he describes knocking the car into neutral, a big spin..."Just incredible I didn't hit anything. I thought it was all over, for sure." The reporters sit there in awe until, from a corner of the room, Jim Clark asks softly: "So, Jackie, you ordinarily back off there?"

FTW

/thread

novaderrik
novaderrik New Reader
3/16/10 9:46 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Will wrote:
Yeah - coming from an Earnhardt fan, that was pretty blatant.

he said it with that usual mischievous twinkle in his eye.. love him or hate him- you did not want to be in the lead with him a close second coming out of the last turn of the race...

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lojBDh4dVbjbmgczFdEgMZzTZGL3CcwFVZ0M98dgiG5fK6a6SOCw2nJZFFClgEoF