stroker
stroker UberDork
9/15/20 9:46 a.m.

I'm thinking of applying for a job with Grizzly tools.  Anyone have any experience with either the products or the company?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/15/20 10:04 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

I've used some of their stuff (mills and lathes). It is pretty well sourced or spec'd Chinese machinery from my experience.  Working for a tool company has it's perks, not all of those test samples get broken during testing wink

WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter)
WonkoTheSane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/15/20 10:12 a.m.

I've used the products plenty, and they've always been a quality piece of Chinese manufacture.  Think a higher end, better researched harbor freight for bigger tools.   They're mostly popular with the woodworkers, although 6 or 8 years ago they were looking to get into the lower-end metal side.  I don't know how that's going.

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
9/15/20 10:24 a.m.

I've messed around some with Grizzly lathes and benchtop mills. I'd say they are a great way to get into hobby machining but are generally regarded by machinists as cheap import tools. I think for the price they are pretty reasonable. No idea about what it would be like working for the company however. 

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/15/20 10:59 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

I'm not familiar with them but I am also not a machinist.  So, I googled a little for company background and found this video story  of a self made man. Interesting and probably good pre-interview fodder.  

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
9/15/20 11:46 a.m.

My experience with Grizzly is rebuilding/repairing a few of their items from the 90's.  The fact that they had rarely needed items for a 30 year old Rong Fu mill drill on the shelf, charged a not exorbitant price for them and shipped them promptly gave me a good feeling about them. The whole interaction was a positive one and made me look further into them for future equipment needs. 

I recently pulled a Grizzly 6X96" edge sander out of a scrap yard and brought it back to life. I didn't have to order anything from Grizzly but am confident I could have 

stroker
stroker UberDork
9/15/20 12:20 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

In reply to stroker :

I'm not familiar with them but I am also not a machinist.  So, I googled a little for company background and found this video story  of a self made man. Interesting and probably good pre-interview fodder.  

Yeah, I watched that video, too, which is a large part of my enthusiasm for getting the job.  I hope they respond to my application.  If not, I'll have to haunt them mercilessly...  <bwhaa, hah, hah.... >  smiley

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/20 12:23 p.m.

I have a Grizzly G0704 benchtop mill that I converted to CNC. It's been a decent machine for what I paid for it and it's paid for itself many times over at this point. They have spares available at reasonable prices. I also have a chinese 13"x40" gear head lathe that's identical to one that they imported in the late 90s. I was able to buy bearings from them when I couldn't find them anywhere else.

As stated above Grizzly has a decent reputation in the home shop woodworking world. They occupy the market below Delta and above HF. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/15/20 12:26 p.m.

I have used their metal working tools. They were decent hobby machines. The customer service and ordering process was great. The catalog and website are excellent too. It gives me the impression that it is a well run deal. 
NYN

edit;

All my experience is with their metal working tools. I have been told by friends that their woodworking side of the house is higher end. I was / am happy with the tools I had from them (mill and lathe). I say hobby as in it isn't a Mazak or a Mori when you are in the metal working stuff. That said the price reflects it too, the equipment is a very fair deal. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/15/20 1:06 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I own mostly Grizzley shop equipment because I've found them to be affordable and acceptable quality.  They are the best or cheapest. But solid  decent performers. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/15/20 1:10 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

I have a couple of Delta pieces and found them well below Grizzly except in price. The Delta Bandsaw has me perplexed.  Trying to get replacement parts and dealing with shoddy construction has me just about ready to throw it away. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/20 1:41 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to CAinCA :

I have a couple of Delta pieces and found them well below Grizzly except in price. The Delta Bandsaw has me perplexed.  Trying to get replacement parts and dealing with shoddy construction has me just about ready to throw it away. 

I guess I should say that they aren't up to USA made Delta/Rockwell/Powermatic machines of old. Most of those brands have been sold to conglomerates and are just imported machines with a premium label these days.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
9/15/20 2:01 p.m.

I nearly bought a Grizzly table saw about 20 years ago.  I went with a Jet.  The quality was slightly better, I think.  20 years later, I still think the same, but both have improved.  Grizzly now is high enough quality that I'd consider buying.  The quality gap between grizzly and the premium brands isn't that much any more.  Grizzly has improved, and Delta (the 800 lb gorilla, back then) has decreased.    

Of course, grizzly is more than just table saws, but those seem to be the crown jewel of the woodshop. 

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
9/15/20 2:25 p.m.

We ran a lot of their woodworking tools at the custom woodwork and cabinet shop I worked at while in college.  Of the top of my head I think we had an edge sander, jointer, large planer (both with spiral heads), two table saws, a drill press and other misc smaller items.

I never had any issues with them outside of standard wear and tear.  They were all easily serviceable and parts were easy to get.  I do remember the planer arriving with a thick layer of shipping grease though and ruining my pants and shirt in the process!!

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
9/15/20 3:07 p.m.
CAinCA said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to CAinCA :

I guess I should say that they aren't up to USA made Delta/Rockwell/Powermatic machines of old. Most of those brands have been sold to conglomerates and are just imported machines with a premium label these days.

Good statement. That's what I found with my Jet bandsaw. It was made between various owners and the new ones don't keep parts for the old ones. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qRbhxJW8ojjtXsFIjDk7JZjotPeVON9LCcoEeKQfsPLbCF7JBLS4FS4F02BuY7be