1 2 3 ... 22
pigeon
pigeon Dork
7/25/11 8:27 p.m.

With all the beer fans here, I think it would be fun to have a weekly (?) online beer tasting. Rotate around and pick a beer that's generally available and a bunch of us share tasting notes and impressions, wine tasting style. Any takers?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
7/25/11 8:32 p.m.

In

Paul B

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/25/11 8:34 p.m.

In, depending on weekly finances (college kid without a regular cash income from August through May)

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/25/11 8:54 p.m.

Sounds fun. local micro-brews in or out?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/25/11 8:57 p.m.

That is an AWESOME idea. I am in like Flynn.

We either need to find widely distributed beers or break it up into a couple regions, like East/West Coast.

Now the tough question is: where do we start? What should the first beer be? How do we decide? I think weekly is a good rate to do them at.

I think executive decision on beer selection. One person chooses and we take turns after that. Since Pigeon came up with the idea, I think he should make the first choice.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
7/25/11 9:02 p.m.

Uh, even better: grassroots beer exchange.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
7/25/11 9:04 p.m.

July 28th Nashville Beerfest.

4 hours, unlimited beer, $35 Zeplin sized liver and embarassing facebook photos - priceless

flountown
flountown Reader
7/25/11 9:21 p.m.

I'd be game, I have a local take-out place with a couple hundred bottles to choose from...

I figure start with something that is a bit more common and accessible. I wish we could pull off a beer exchange, but those are hard enough with personal friends, let alone an online community. My friends and I once came within one case of a perfect beer exchange, but one guy bailed an hour before it started. Otherwise, we had 23 unique cases, it was amazing...

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/25/11 11:48 p.m.

Off the top of my head, the following can be found almost anywhere:
AB and assorted products, Miller/Coors and assorted, Sierra Nevada, PBR, Leinies, Heinekin, Becks, Carlsburg, Dos Equis, Shiner, Corona, Sam Adams, and Fat Tire.

Possibly the following:
New Glarus, Great Lakes, Goose Island, more craft beers.

I'd suggest starting with one of these, and then figure out what the next few weeks if we want to get into "better" beers that might be harder to find. Between these beers mentioned, we have at least a year of beer, and at least 15 weeks of what I would consider "good" beer.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/25/11 11:59 p.m.
mtn wrote: Off the top of my head, the following can be found almost anywhere: AB and assorted products, Miller/Coors and assorted, PBR, Leinies, Heinekin, Becks, Carlsburg, Corona,

No.

Sierra Nevada, Dos Equis, Shiner, Sam Adams, and Fat Tire.

Some strong (and not so strong) potentials here.

Possibly the following: New Glarus, Great Lakes, Goose Island, more craft beers.

Better Ideas.

I would suggest things like: Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA, anything by Unibrau, Bodingtons, Arrogant Bastard, Allagash, Chimay.

Yeah, you might need to go a little bit further out of your way than the local grocery mart, but there aught to be a good liquor store in your region that carries them.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/26/11 1:20 a.m.
Salanis wrote:
mtn wrote: Off the top of my head, the following can be found almost anywhere: AB and assorted products, Miller/Coors and assorted, PBR, Leinies, Heinekin, Becks, Carlsburg, Corona,
No.

No Hoegarrden (AB), Peroni Tyskie or Blue Moon (MC)? Geez, tough crowd.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
7/26/11 6:50 a.m.

I'm in also, but a write up of the selected beer should be a part of the nomination even if it is lifted from the suppliers website.

I will have trouble finding many of the interesting ones but am willing to take on the challenge. (Damn podunk towns)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/11 7:07 a.m.

We should do this every morning.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/11 7:12 a.m.
Woody wrote: We should do this every morning.

I concurr! Guess what beer I'm drinking right now ...

Give up?

Abita Root Beer

FlightService
FlightService Dork
7/26/11 8:43 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I concurr! Guess what beer I'm drinking right now ... Give up? Abita Root Beer

Lightweight

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/11 9:23 a.m.

I am in, sounds like fun. Plus, for my 40th birthday a couple of weeks ago my wife went to World Market and got me 40 bottles of beer, 28 different kinds.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/11 9:34 a.m.
FlightService wrote: Lightweight

jealous Abita Root Beer is DA BOMB!1!11

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/26/11 10:58 a.m.
mtn wrote:
Salanis wrote:
No.
No Hoegarrden (AB), Peroni Tyskie or Blue Moon (MC)? Geez, tough crowd.

Last time I had blue moon, I woke up naked on my bathroom floor.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/26/11 11:58 a.m.

This is a capital idea.

We might also consider a weekly theme rotation:

Week 1: General domestic beers (Sam Adams, etc)

Week 2: General import beers (Moosehead, Dos Equis, etc)

Week 3: Regional domestic beers

Week 4: Local Micro-Beers (aka: free for all)

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/26/11 1:29 p.m.
mtn wrote: No Hoegarrden (AB), Peroni Tyskie or Blue Moon (MC)? Geez, tough crowd.

I didn't realize Hoegarden was AB. Not too surprised though. I've got no problem with that, Peroni, or Blue Moon. I guess I should say that I'd like to limit it to craft beers. Something like Pilsner Urquel might even be interesting.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/11 1:38 p.m.

The only issue with craft beers is avaliablity.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/26/11 1:41 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: We might also consider a weekly theme rotation: Week 1: General domestic beers (Sam Adams, etc) ...

I really like this idea. Makes a bit more sense than all of us trying to find the same beer. I think a weekly theme and target one or two breweries within that theme would be good. The crazy beer afficianados among us can try a seasonal or special release and people in areas of limited selection can still find a flag ship.

I think Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams are a perfect two breweries to start with.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/26/11 1:45 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
mtn wrote: No Hoegarrden (AB), Peroni Tyskie or Blue Moon (MC)? Geez, tough crowd.
I didn't realize Hoegarden was AB. Not too surprised though. I've got no problem with that, Peroni, or Blue Moon. I guess I should say that I'd like to limit it to craft beers. Something like Pilsner Urquel might even be interesting.

Pilsner Urquel is, IIRC, a Miller product these days. Or at least imported by them. These nicer beers owned/imported by the big boys are more than likely available everywhere.

Salanis wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: We might also consider a weekly theme rotation: Week 1: General domestic beers (Sam Adams, etc) ...
I really like this idea. Makes a bit more sense than all of us trying to find the same beer. I think a weekly theme and target one or two breweries within that theme would be good. The crazy beer afficianados among us can try a seasonal or special release and people in areas of limited selection can still find a flag ship. I think Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams are a perfect two breweries to start with.

I agree with this statement.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/26/11 1:57 p.m.

I think we can work around must the "issues."

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/11 2:15 p.m.

Another way to do it would be for everyone to pick a beer they want to try and post a review so others can try it if they can find it.

1 2 3 ... 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
09nlab7Jio54sUM1cqRBGwJB4lGzuTfSwDm1bg4d5EP7WZKtZ9XEJvUGP2V0PPyC