1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22
aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
4/10/13 3:37 p.m.

Mrs Aussie and I are enjoying many fine ales from the house of Bellls tonight in Ft Wayne at JKODonnels

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Dork
4/10/13 9:56 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

unfortunately so. Very little to choose from locally and I've pretty much tried all that the local stores have to offer. Whenever I make a trip to louisville I try to hit up some liquor stores there and bring home something(s) new.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/10/13 10:42 p.m.
mtn wrote: Had a Third Shift Golden Lager, or something like that last night. 12 pack bottles. I would describe it best as "Meh". I got it because it was on sale. If I see it on sale again, I might get it again. I won't be pouring any down the drain, but I don't want to get home right now to drink another.

Follow up to this post: It is called "Third Shift Amber Lager".

I feel cheated with this one. I bought it at the store without knowing anything about it other than it was brewed in Texas. Then I start seeing advertisements on billboards. And on TV. Turns out it is a MillerCoors product. So much for helping out a craft brewery.

Ok, back on the beer itself--stuff is foamy. Open a bottle, and if you take a drink fast at all it foams up. If you set it down on the counter so it makes even the slightest tapping sound, it foams over. Really annoying. Probably just an issue with a small batch, but either way I'm not getting any again.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/11/13 12:04 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

Is it way overcarbonated?

if not, That wont be a small batch issue. It either happened from transport/storing, or it is an issue with a whole barley crop worth of malt.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/11/13 12:12 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote: In reply to mtn: Is it way overcarbonated? if not, That wont be a small batch issue. It either happened from transport/storing, or it is an issue with a whole barley crop worth of malt.

No, its not. I did a google search to find if anyone else had the issue, but nobody has posted about it if they have. Not every bottle either, and if I pour it into a glass it is fine. So the easy solution is to pour it into a glass, but the easier solution is to not buy it again.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/11/13 2:34 a.m.
mtn wrote: No, its not. I did a google search to find if anyone else had the issue, but nobody has posted about it if they have. Not every bottle either, and if I pour it into a glass it is fine. So the easy solution is to pour it into a glass, but the easier solution is to not buy it again.

Sounds like it was handled poorly somewhere in the distribution line. Whatever. Sounds like it isn't good enough to worry about.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/11/13 8:32 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
mtn wrote: No, its not. I did a google search to find if anyone else had the issue, but nobody has posted about it if they have. Not every bottle either, and if I pour it into a glass it is fine. So the easy solution is to pour it into a glass, but the easier solution is to not buy it again.
Sounds like it was handled poorly somewhere in the distribution line. Whatever. Sounds like it isn't good enough to worry about.

Pretty much. I sent an email through the MillerCoors site seeing if I can't get my money back, or a voucher for something. Mostly because I'm annoyed that I thought I was buying from a craft brewery when I was buying from Miller.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/11/13 9:56 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote:

I had the same problem recently with a Great Divide smoked porter, and about $40 worth of Cigar City that I bought in Tampa. See also: Neither were good enough to buy again anyway. Also learned while in Tampa that Cigar City is owned by the same shady dude who owns all the titty bars. That was enough to seal the deal for me. Jai Alai is the only beer I've had by them that I thought was worth a E36 M3 anyway. Had a pricey BA somethingeruther by them that was a berkeleying pour because it tasted like a liquid 2 X 4.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
4/11/13 10:44 a.m.

Tried a new local brew yesterday: Neshaminy Creek Brewing - Leon Russian Imperial Stout.

Not bad, but a little on the hoppy side (bitter) of what I like in a good stout. Potent too, at 11.6 ABV. A local bar near me was the "first tapping" site and was selling it in little 10-ish oz glasses. I'm glad I wasn't driving.

speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
4/11/13 3:54 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: This thread just drives in the point that none of the beer places within a 100 mile radius of me carry anything more than the boring domestic light beers. I'm über jealous of the stuff I'm seeing in this thread.

I moved to Northern California a couple of years ago - I should post a picture of the average gas station beer selection here. It tops a lot of the grocery stores I went to on the East Coast.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/13 8:08 p.m.

I think Scott would be proud that his thread has stayed so active. Tonight marks the 1 year anniversary of his death.

I raise my beer tonight in Scott's honor, gone but not forgotten.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
4/15/13 12:38 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I think Scott would be proud that his thread has stayed so active. Tonight marks the 1 year anniversary of his death. I raise my beer tonight in Scott's honor, gone but not forgotten.

Oh man...

To Scott!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/13 1:54 a.m.

I went to buy some Shiner Bock saturday and Walmart was out. I bought Lone Star Bock instead.

It wasn't that great.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/16/13 3:27 p.m.

Big update. I've been driving to Alpharetta every weekend and there's a Total Wine there, sooooooo:

We had a bunch of Stouts that were all pretty tame.

On Sunday, mrs. poop and I had a Rogue Chocolate Stout...Meh. It definitely had a little spicy kick to it, which I like with a stout, but it was way thin, and I can't stand that. BUT, it finally happened...I had already opened a Burton Baton when mama cracked open the stout, and I had 3/4 of a glass yet, so I said "berkeley IT" and mixed the two. IT WAS REEEEALLY GOOD!!! Or "berkeleying delicious" in mrs. poop's words.

Yesterday we tried Left Hand "Wake up Dead" Imperial Stout, which was REALLY good for the money. Big boozy deliciousness.

Yesterday afternoon I had to drop my guitars off for setup and stopped by this TOTALLY RANDOM hole-in-the-wall liquor store for a bottle of whiskey. They had a surprising selection of craft beers, but nothing that blew my mind...until.....

Near the cooler, away from the other craft beers, there's a shelf with a sign that says "singles." The bottom 3rd of the shelf is obscured by boxes of other stuff. There was some decent stuff on the top 2/3rds, lots of DFH, though nothing I haven't tried. I moved one of the boxes, and WHAT_THE_BERK!?!?

6 bottles of Brew Dog Paradox (Isle of Arran batch) and 3 Mikkeller "Big Worse."

My dumb ass should've bought all of it, but I haven't tried the Big Worse yet (barleywines are hit or miss for me, though I've never had a beer from Mikkeller that I didn't like,) and while the Paradox Speyside is seriously one of the best berkeleying beers I've ever had (top 5?) at roughly a dollar a freakin ounce, that's a big crap shoot. So I grabbed 2 of each and called it a day. I'll report on one after tonight

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/20/13 7:56 p.m.

Well, Brewdog has berkeleyed me for the last time. I don't understand how their beers can be so inconsistent, but I just drank $12 worth of liquid ass. NEVER AGAIN!!!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/13 8:01 p.m.

Had some old Rasputin on tap yesterday and thought of beer baron. It was delicious.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/20/13 8:33 p.m.

So, remember that issue I had with the third shift where it was foaming almost immediately? I called them and they're sending me $5. Which I won't be spending on that.

Anyways, the other night I went to my fridge wet my whistle. I unfortunately see that I am out of everything but what my friends left at my apartment some time in January, which is all Bud Light and Busch Light. I'm about to pull out one of these, when I spy in the back of the fridge another beer that had been left from the same party. A Goose Island Matilda, bottled in November.

It was a really, really good beer. Tasted good, not boozey, apple, banana, orange, pear(?), but unfortunately, wheat. I just do not like wheat beers. I don't like fruity beers, but that part worked on this one--it was the wheat taste that came through that I just cannot convince my pallet to like. Oh well.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/20/13 8:41 p.m.

You don't like wheat beer? Sinner!

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/20/13 8:47 p.m.

Eh. Me neither, though goose island does make some good E36 M3. We slayed some kind of barrel aged stout unicorn from them a couple years ago. It was a real treat.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/20/13 8:48 p.m.

Drinking a Budweiser right now. I'm the sinner...

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/20/13 9:05 p.m.

Drinking Evan and Evan to get the taste of that Brewdog out of my mouth.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/20/13 9:11 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Drinking a Budweiser right now. I'm the sinner...

Meh. I might get grilled for it in this thread, but I am honestly happy drinking just about any cold beer. There are very few that I don't like--Keystone and Glick come to mind, and they are very bad.

Right now I'm drinking Moosehead. Small step up from Bud, and it was on sale at $10 for a 12 pack, and it had a $5 mail in rebate when you bought 2. So I bought 2.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/13 9:12 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: You don't like wheat beer? Sinner!

Wheat beer is no good.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/20/13 9:24 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Meh. I might get grilled for it in this thread, but I am honestly happy drinking just about any cold beer. There are very few that I don't like--Keystone and Glick come to mind, and they are *very* bad. Right now I'm drinking Moosehead. Small step up from Bud, and it was on sale at $10 for a 12 pack, and it had a $5 mail in rebate when you bought 2. So I bought 2.

Not a damned thang wrong with that. PBR is my go-to for "I've had too many whiskeys...I need to sober up...slowly."

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
4/20/13 9:28 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
mtn wrote:
Meh. I might get grilled for it in this thread, but I am honestly happy drinking just about any cold beer. There are very few that I don't like--Keystone and Glick come to mind, and they are *very* bad. Right now I'm drinking Moosehead. Small step up from Bud, and it was on sale at $10 for a 12 pack, and it had a $5 mail in rebate when you bought 2. So I bought 2.
Not a damned thang wrong with that. PBR is my go-to for "I've had too many whiskeys...I need to sober up...slowly."

I turn to the cheap E36 M3. We all do. Natty Light is helpful when Back 40in when drunkardness is to be avoided.

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xp2OLfpWigixZMqUPLVygW9YP1dBi2CMG7gbtgpl8jEVcmI725mqzi68thNBwukR