1 ... 19 20 21 22
ryanty22
ryanty22 Reader
5/2/14 10:59 p.m.

Tonight for me was Guinness Black Lager, pretty good, tastes like guinness but not as heavy as the leaded stuff

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/2/14 11:03 p.m.

Tonight was.... a lot of beer. Surly Blakkr (a black IPA, figure that out) Flat Earth Cygnus Porter(makes for awesome with breakfast style eats) and a bottle of Strawman from Angry Orchard. That's about all I can get out coherently.

ihayes
ihayes New Reader
5/3/14 9:36 a.m.

On a recommendation i tried theobroma. Supposedly based off the Aztec chocolate drink that only the kings were allowed to have, or some nonsense like that. Not what I was expecting at all but very good. Nice flavor, color, has a faint pleasant chili taste on the back of your throat. I didn't pickup the cocoa nibs at all.

.. but damn it's expensive

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/4/14 6:43 p.m.

Troegenator goes awesomely with steak. Jus'sayin'.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/5/14 9:11 a.m.
Beer Baron wrote: Troegenator goes awesomely with steak. Jus'sayin'.

That is my current favorite, so yummy.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Dork
5/5/14 10:04 a.m.

Tried this on a whim last week, and want more:

Lazy Magnolia said: Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/14 11:25 a.m.

I tried the Full Sail Brewers Share Berliner Weisse a few weeks ago. Excellent!

Not my picture:

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/14 8:51 p.m.

Red Hare Brewing Mongo Brown.

It was fantastic. Very malty with a good hop balance. I wish I could get this stuff back home.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
8/20/14 11:44 a.m.

Anyone in Columbus who wants to come to a fun beer event tomorrow, Thursday is going to be our big release party for beers from the new brew house here at Zauber Brewing! We do German and Belgium styles, so we will have our Kolsch, Red Alt, Hefeweizen, and Belgian IPA on tap.

Come check it out and I'll give you a tour through the brewery. It's located at 909 W. 5th.

zbeers.com

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/20/14 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Where you at Beerfest on Saturday?

Edit:

I will drag a guy from work and stop by tomorrow.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/20/14 12:26 p.m.

Kronenbourg 1664

I am addicted to this stuff right now

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
8/20/14 12:53 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: In reply to Beer Baron: Where you at Beerfest on Saturday? Edit: I will drag a guy from work and stop by tomorrow.

I was out of town this past weekend. I do have a fest this weekend though.

(5th, not High)

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
8/20/14 8:17 p.m.

Had a Dogfish Head/Victory/Stone Saison du Buff tonight. Got better as it warmed up - a little spicy and maybe a touch caramelly, but not in an off-putting way. Good hot weather beer.

That makes 164 new beers tried this year.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/10/14 4:02 p.m.

Up from the depths! On my trip out east, I was treated to several different brews I couldn't get locally, a couple the locals can't even get locally, and possibly my new favorite beer. Ever.

First off, Lancaster milk stout. Solid milk stout, lots of coffee, a little stout bitter on the back end, nothing shockingly remarkable, but not bad.http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/743/3960/

Next, there was the sun king wee mac. A Scottish ale from Indianapolis. Totally sessionable. The fact that bww charged an arm and a leg for them kept me from being blackout drunk on the stuff. I was gifted two more cans from sf1. They're hiding in my beer stash.http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20672/52042/ Then, onto the chase beers. I've heard miraculous things about 3 floyds brewery, and from the two beers we managed to get, they earn it.

First, we sampled the gumballhead. Advertised as a wheat, we figured that it would be the safest of the two, since a lot of breweries lately are just backing the hops truck up to the vat and going for broke. This one was a TOTAL surprise. It punched me right in the jaw with that hops citrus flavor, but in the best way possible. And unlike a traditional IPA/ hop bomb, it finished clean. There was no lingering bitterness, just a nice, clean end. Not the right beer for as cold as it was, but damned if a 12er of that wouldn't vaporize in summer. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/9478/

After that, we got into another 3 Floyd's offering, their jinxproof. Now this was what I expected. Pretty hoppy up front, clean through the drink, weirdly almost minty bitter finish. Not sure if like. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/50443/

Then came.... The stouts. On the recommendation of the ale house guy in Indy, I got myself a sun kind starfish offensive. Mother of balls was it good. Heavy coffee.of the nose, hints of chocolate, hint of bitter roast at the finish, and black as night.[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/IMG_20141101_133020_zpsvaucpblv.jpg.html][/URL]this is the LED on a gs3 at full blast, and that's all the light that got through. It was an impressive beer. I would have called it the winner of the weekend, except for what happened next.http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/20672/142257/

Now what happened next what wholly unexpected. While Ben and I were at the beer store (which had an impressive selection of buttman magazine, as well as an array of 40s) and a woman recommended left hand brewery milk stout nitro. So, we grabbed some. And.... Well.... Yeah. Its the best thing ever. It pours darker and cloudier than starfish. Thanks to the nitro, your encouraged to basically dump it into the glass as hard as you can. The head builds almost like a volcanic eruption, and once it's there, it does not go away. Seriously its like pudding.[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/IMG_20141101_220126_zpsqkchaxe4.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mndsm/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-11/IMG_20141101_222034_zpsxwelc2ug.jpg.html][/URL] that was probably a 20min beer. It drank almost like a milkshake. I can't properly describe this stuff. It's like if beer and chocolate milk had a love child and you then made a beer shake out of it. Yep. I'm in love.http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/115076/

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/14 4:07 p.m.

Man, I wish my local Carl's Jr served that.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/10/14 4:29 p.m.

Came.with my extra bigass fries.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/15 6:24 p.m.

I don't normally get IPAs. I have had a few that were super bitter, and were like drinking a Christmas tree.

I'm having a Shiner Wild Hare IPA, and it's actually not horrible.

Can someone suggest a few IPAs that might impress? I normally prefer stouts and porters.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
2/8/15 6:47 p.m.

IPAs really aren't my thing either. But, if you can find Founders Devil Dancer Tripple IPA. Very good

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/8/15 7:57 p.m.

I've been getting IPA latly too, guess I 've gotten burned out on stouts. Try Griffin Claw Raggedy ass IPa or Bolevard's pop up session. Sam Adams Rebel is good too.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/15 9:21 p.m.

I am simultaneously pleased and sad that Pigeon's thread is still with us...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/15/15 7:57 a.m.

(Bump for popular demand.)

I finally got around to trying Sierra Nevada's Nooner Pilsner. Really excellent. Crisp, clean, refreshing, but flavorful. This is what most of the Pilsner's in Germany are pretending to be. I think this may edge out Summerfest. It's going to be living in my fridge for a while.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/15/15 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron:

Guess I need to check that out, I like a good Pilsner.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/15/15 10:08 a.m.

Raleigh Brewing's Hidden Pipe Porter is an amazing coffee flavored brew with roasted malt flavor and a sufficient hop bite.

It is my new go-to beer.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
6/15/15 12:22 p.m.

Bragging Time: I finally got a chance to tap the first keg of my barrel aged Holiday at a brewfest on Saturday. I hadn't had it before. It was delicious. The spice notes I got with malt/hops/yeast manipulation in the base beer (no actual spices) are still around, but there was a nice bonus of vanilla and coconut from the barrel. Really tasty.

One guy who was coming up asked what he should drink. I told him, "This is the best beer at the festival today. If you find something better let me know."
He rolled his eyes, "HaHa."
"No, I'm serious. This is the best beer at the festival. If you find something better today, let me know."
Then he tried it... "Holy E36 M3. You're not joking."
"No. I'm not. If you find something better today, come back and let me know."
He did not come back. Or at least not to report a better beer.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/5/15 6:58 p.m.

Trying it for the novelty after a day off dry fitting cabinets. I'm not sure if I like it. I have really enjoyed beer with peppercorn, but sriracha, I'm on the fence.

1 ... 19 20 21 22

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wWjwfmDO6kjQ6fDO73mwwHFdsndw9A4gwUNQDj5kGYj4ZsGBzsQtHS88ncXT2ndE