1 ... 22 23 24 25 26
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/21 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Fladiver64 (Forum Supporter) :

Glad it made it down there safe. There was a sauce to go with the rub but the jar broke before it got in the box lol 

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/21 1:00 p.m.

I got mail from over seas!!!!

preach (fs)
1/30/21 1:32 p.m.

Opened to this:

Which revealed:

A small car, a bunch of a red substance (paprika), a jar of pista (also paprika), a bottle of beer, and a bottle of liquer that Bill told me is horrible but Hungarians love it.

Apparently everything is sold by the foot over there:

Second layer:

Clutch tool, RTV?, oil guage, bearing, filter, 2 chocolate bars!

Third:

Saab 93 vid, Lada? Magnet, carpenter pencils, some pins, a sparking device, a lanyard from a tattoo place, and some more goo

Fourth:

A tree that smells like a wonderful butt, a sticker that looks like a race track but is the outline of the city Papa, a Papa magnet, a Lada magnet, and a race magnet

Next:

Hungarian auto trader, and a Lada sales book?

Lastly:

i'mnot12yearsoldi'mnot12yearsoldi'mnot12yearsoldi'mnot12yearsold

Thank you Hungary Bill!!!

preach (fs)
1/30/21 1:36 p.m.

And from the email inventory which includes 2 recipes for the paprika paste and powder! So awesome as I am a foodie and used to be a chef for a living!!!

Ok, box was taped up this morning, but lets see if I can remember what I put in there.

Toy car:  Nothing special.  I was walking through the gas station one day and it caught my eye, it goes in the box :)

Craft beer:  This is local to the area.  I've had some of their other beers but not this one. I figured I'd grab two and open mine when you got yours

Bottle of Unicum:  this is quite possibly the worst thing you'll ever put in your mouth voluntarily.  Jagermeister is quite the joke out here because it's seen as medicine.  Well this stuff is like the herbal version of jagermeister and it is awful.  People here drink it though.  They drink it when they're sick, just for kicks, whatever.  So yeah.  Pour yourself a shot and knock one back!  Just have some water or something to chase it with.

Bag of paprika:  Half kilo?  either way.  Out here we got through these bags way faster than I can explain.  That's local farmers market stuff and I'll send you my chicken paprika recipe and gulyas recipe later

Gulyas krem and tube of paprika:  These are used in my gulyas recipe that I'll send ya.  It's like a gulyas starter kit.  Make it once and you can get the flavor.  After that you can make it yourself with a good beef or pork soup base, and some paprika cream.

Milka bars!  Absolutely delicious chocolate.  You can actually find those in the states sometimes but these are my two favorite flavours and they're awesome.

Eros pista (little jar of Paprika paste).  This stuff is delicious in gulyas.  add a teaspoon and it'll give it a nice spice.  If you like it, add it to just about any soup.

Clutch Release bearing:  Regift.  I have absolutely no idea what it goes to (E46 BMW?) 

Hungarian Auto trader:  Man, I was so bummed I couldnt find one with a Lada or a Trabant section!  9 years ago that would have been half the magazine.  Now a days only the old guys who have owned the exact same car since 1980 drive the cool communist stuff.  If you find something you like in there, let me know and I'll pick it up for ya :)

Retro Auto Magazine:  These used to be gas station staples a decade or so ago.  Every month they'd highlight a different eastern bloc car.  I bought my Lada 2105 and stopped for gas on the way home and there it was featured in that months magazine!

Fiat Polski magnet:  Saw it, bought it, threw it in the box.  We had two Polski fiats out here.  The "little polski" (126), and the "big polski" (125).  People used to wait almost 10 years for their Lada and I dont think the line was much shorter for the 125p.

Sticker that looks like a race track but isnt:  This is the outline of the country before WW1.  Being upset at the treaty of Trianon is very much a thing out here and if you enter into a conversation about it with a hungarian you very well may be taking your life into your own hands.  It's not uncommon at all to see cars drive around with the sticker that depicts what hungary used to (or should, depending on audience) look like.  Furthermore, Bratislava isn't Bratislava because it's "Pozsony" (the original Hungarian name for the city), the list goes on...  Yikes

Papa city magnet:  This is our main town square.  It was taken from a turret of the "Golden Griff Hotel" which was once a very popular place.  It hosted big Hungarian names like "Bela Bartok" who was a famous Hungarian composer.  I just thought it was a nice shot.

random pencils:  That's what happens when you leave a box open in the garage.  Stuff gets tossed in :)

Oil gauge:  Regift from last year.  I think there was a sale at Harbor Freight or something?  almost 10 people received one of these.

Good times, and I think I got everything!  Hope you enjoy!

now for the recipes:

Chicken paprika: 

boil 4 chicken thighs (or two breasts) in water or chicken broth until tender enough to shred.
Make sauce from 12oz sour cream and one can of cream of chicken
add paprika to the sauce.  Start somewhere around 4tbsp and work your way up from there (probably twice that amount).  Salt to taste.
Add shredded chicken to sauce and heat.

Serve over egg noodles.

Gulyas

1lb pork or beef.  Beef is traditional but seldom used due to the high cost.

1 tube gulyas krem

1 small tube paprika krem

3 small onions, or one and a half large ones (this thickens the broth)

4 carrots (peeled and chopped)

2 parsnips (peeled and chopped)

4 or so potatoes (peeled and chopped).

I usually start with the pork and onions with a sprinkle of garlic and just enough water to cover them.  Once the pork is completely through and the onions are beginning to cook down, I'll add the carrots, parsnips, gulyas krem, paprika krem, and just enough water to cover everything.  Once those are about half done, I'll add the spuds and (you guessed it) just enough water to cover them.  Cook it all until everything's soft and enjoy!  Add a little of that stuff in the jar in your bowl when you eat and see what you think :)

Super cool!

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/30/21 1:37 p.m.

Lots going on.  Box arrived early this week, finally took photos.

I tend to browse the forums not logged in and with cookies disabled.  So I have to close the stupid friggin' ad for the trackside companion in every.  single.  thread.  @#$%^&*.  Opened the box and it was one of the first things I saw.  That got a solid laugh.

Also in this pic, 3 various lanyards, a craftsman light repair kit that may be older than me but happens to include the same little cr123 battery i handle hundreds of at work, that was amusing.  A pen, a nerf dart, some hose clamps, paint can opener, plasti-steel jb weld, an Arai keychain, a few stickers, some oil drain plug gaskets, wire nuts, and a Porsche teambuilding bracelet.  (wtf Porcsche?)  And a hot wheels Fairlady Z.  I love this color.  The craftsman socket thing has me puzzled, need to look up what it is.

A screwdriver, everyone's favorite harbor freight flashlight, a factory five racing CD/DVD, bottle opener, adhesive/velcro (i've been needing to grab another pack of this stuff, yay) and a soldering iron.

A 'rona guard and...a repair manual i truly hope i never have a use for.

And now we get to the ballast.  An oldsmobile horn button, distributor from a 1984 GM ... something.  Random sprocket, random coil and random chrome 'vent'!

A handful more decals and Subaru SVX owner's documents.  A driveshaft yoke.  And whatever this large rusty bearing/carrier type thing in the center is.  Can't say I have seen anything like it on anything I have worked on.  What is it?

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/30/21 2:07 p.m.

Ohhh the socket is a lighted extension, complete with replacement light kit.  Packaging was destroyed and I hadn't read it.  Figured the replacement kit shown above was just a random box-filler but it is actually quite relevant.

Insert socket or extension to complete the circuit and it's a light!

No really, i am WAY too amused by this being a thing, and back in the 90's.  Patent was filed in 1998.

Excuse the potatovision phone pic but it works pretty well.

Full patent here which I got a kick out of reading.  They focus on utility and replacability of internal components compared to existing versions and sure enough this thing is rock solid, simple, and very easy to replace any part.  http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5826968.PN.&OS=PN/5826968&RS=PN/5826968

wawazat
wawazat Dork
1/30/21 2:49 p.m.

Glad it got you a chuckle!  
Much of this stuff is pass thru from previous gifters though I added the big heavy Ford 9" rear end bits in honor of the original intent of getting my shipping money worth.  The SVX stuff, lanyards, lot of the stickers and sprocket were my additions to your box o crap!laugh

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/31/21 2:05 p.m.

That lighted socket was a gift I received a long time ago and never used. Seemed a good thing to pass along. Glad to see it works! The Olds horn button and chrome vent are pass alongs I had. I see the distributor is making the rounds, It's NOS for a 1985 iron Duke.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/31/21 2:08 p.m.

This is the first year I didn't photograph my box before mailing. Haven't seen it here, hope it didn't get swiped off the porch.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/31/21 4:36 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

This is the first year I didn't photograph my box before mailing. Haven't seen it here, hope it didn't get swiped off the porch.

I hope whatever "live" thing is in it is okay, wherever it is.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/31/21 4:43 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I hope whatever "live" thing is in it is okay, wherever it is.

I wasn't sure anyone noticed me posting that.  

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/21 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) :

What's funny is the battery in the socket is a little weak but works.  The battery from the refresh kit is almost completely dead.  Understandable,  that's a 20+ year old battery!  Amazed it works at all.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
2/1/21 12:30 a.m.

Finally got around to the unboxing. Extra long rambling video to follow.

Big thanks to OldOpelGuy for the weirdness and the useful stuff and the weird stuff that may prove useful later.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
2/1/21 9:28 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

The sample tubes are leftovers from an Amazon purchase that involved not paying enough attention to how many were in a package.  I needed 35, I got a kitchen trash bag full of them. Let me know if you come up with a use for them. 

The yellow thingies you grouped in with them are way more useful; they are vents for plastic gas cans. Drill a hole, pop one in, and bam, your new gas can functions like the legendary ones from days gone by.

The orange thingies in the bag with the skinny lanyard are waterproof splices for an underground pet fence antenna wire. That whole baggy is stuff that went with the system we installed at a previous house.

Most of the swag is forwarded stuff from previous years. My life does not include glamorous automotive swag, just random golfing stuff from power companies like what's in the water bottle. 

The first aid stuff is all reasonably fresh and should be good to use. After some surgery complications I realized that our first aid situation wasn't up to snuff and I went a little overboard with the bulk purchasing. Better to have it and never need it, right?  The Hazard Fraught case isn't bad for keeping it in one spot, though the latches are a little bitey.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/21 1:48 p.m.
preach (fs) said:

I got mail from over seas!!!!

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, man I'm so happy that made it (and in one piece!).

So a bit more on that bottle of awefulness I sent ya (have you tried it yet?).  When I got here for the first time, I thought the bottle looked cool as hell!  Plus it was all over the stores (it was close to Christmas at the time) so of course I had to try this (unfortunately named) bottle of Hungarian liquor!  The next time I was eating at the hotel I asked the waiter what it tasted like and he said it was an "herbal Jaggermeister"...

Yeah...  Even back then I could drink almost anything without a chaser.  Not so much with this stuff.  It'd make an awesome prank if you had some friends over devil

And that is a BEAUTIFUL Kukri, by the way.  I've wanted one of those for years!

preach (fs)
2/2/21 4:11 p.m.

I have not tried it yet. Oddly looking forward to it though.

Kukri is from Nepal for real. Made out of a "Jeep" leaf spring. I think it was all of $50.

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/4/21 5:46 p.m.

This seems to be dying down some, still haven't seen the box that I sent out (admittedly pretty late) posted up.

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/5/21 5:49 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

Still waiting on a box, out here. Is it the same box?

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/5/21 6:18 p.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) :

Still waiting on a box, out here. Is it the same box?

I don't think so, no. Sorry! I hope yours arrives.

russde
russde GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/6/21 6:02 p.m.

I've been remiss, but super busy. My box arrived awhile ago and I haven't posted it...so here goes.

A well decorated, veteran box, about to be violated by my trusty Spyderco Endura

Stickers, a Mass license plate and some plastic...things

Lots here. Awesome green dead blow hammer ( I literally keep telling myself to buy one, and forgetting when I'm in an appropriate store ),  a knife that has seen some drywall duty (made me lol), plastic hole covers, a nut driver and a bit driver, a vacuum and an oil pressure gauge, a (?) compressor crankshaft/connecting rod assembly?, and an 'I have no idea but it reminds me of a distributor plate'.

A 550lb chain hoist that found me imediately thinking "Oh, I can lift _______ with this"

Sockets (no 10mm that I have found yet), screwdrivers, more plastic hole plugs, metal band clamps (that don't come apart once you put them together (oops), and two psychedelic lug nuts

Another literal lol, an FL400 oil filter...and because I always expect the worst...the next pic shows it's new ;)

Many thanks to my secret santa...it was great fun opening this. The BMW matchbox is going on my mantel (and I"m not a matchbox fan, just love that 3.0CSL)...some will find it's way to another GRM'r and some will be well used and appreciated in my garage.

Russ

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
2/7/21 12:43 p.m.

lookie what I got!   It came a little bit ago but I have been gone.  Just returned.  But I'm having a hard time uploading pics. So I might do this piecemeal. 

a lovely little note sets the stage for much promise.  
I love me some Morris minor and need to get mine going. 

More to come when I can upload some more

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
2/8/21 9:58 a.m.

my wife was stoked for this one!   We will see if it's not too old since it was waiting for me for a while.  

haha I love this.  I am looking for the rest of the collection!

At least 40 hp here

the hot wheels are awesome and ill be using them for setting up sequences at work.  The lure brings back memories that I should be making with my kids.  

and the bag will be very useful and I'll definitely find a reason to fill it up. 

more to come (~5 mins per pic to upload from my location....)

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
2/8/21 12:30 p.m.

now this is a nice little haul.  The little rack will likely be very handy.  And the guppy multi tool and zip ties will have a new home in one of my work bags. 

nice thermostat - what's it for?  Maybe I'll have to get one! And the single bolt will be filed away in the correct drawer for future use. 

One more pic to come

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
2/8/21 12:48 p.m.

and last but not least, more cool stuff!   A usb cigarette adapter that will join my other work tools, a new 10mm wrench, a self-adjusting crescent wrench tgat may or may not self-adjust, a great license plate and a super cool plate frame!   A great score indeed!

In reply to jfryjfry (FS) :

I'm glad to see you're having fun with the box. I'll bet the sourdough will be fine, just feed it with a mix of 50% water and 50% all purpose flour. If it doesn't survive, I'll send out another. Just let me know when it's a good time for you to retrieve it from the mail.

The thermostat? I have no idea what it fits. The 10 mm wrench and driver are a substitute for sending a 10 mm socket, as is my custom.

Zip ties, who can't find a use for them? The push fasteners are always useful to have around. The adjustable wrench, that's something that came in a box from previous years. Always important to recycle!

I know that the E36 M3 service kit says "Collect them all." Let's just hope that the 2020 version is the only one.

I wish I would have sent more hot wheels. Now that I'm cleaning my garage out I found the box that I had them stashed in. I love the idea of you being able to use them to set up scenes. Wally was the source for the bus, of course. I'm really glad I sent it so that it gets put to an awesome use.

Thanks for the update. Let me know if you need more sourdough.

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JJ0bQ9ZJvZKRHUcEkrCSIHiQWpSGsHUZ7DyrcRPyHMe3GHWUTmqgjJu8QyPPOI3b