1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28
matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
1/23/22 3:51 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Wow, cool score on calipers. If you get a chance, could you measure pin spacing and bolt on those carriers? I am always on the lookout for ways to abuse more parts.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/22 5:25 p.m.

Ok, onward to the contents of my box:

Strange messages...

Hmmm, I think I’ve been made.

Ooo! Let’s dig in!

Yeah, I think I’ve been successfully stalked. Nice bag, lanyard, and patch!

Neat! Mega Squirt Stuff™. I don’t have any plans to use this, but if I was 30 years younger I would go nuts.

Perhaps my package comes from a VW person? (not sure about the shift knob id, though)

Nice mag light. I used to have one just like it. Also the cool Lufkin “Wizard” tape. Love the cool silver color on the tape.

A door handle (actually, I have no idea what tool it is), and a really cool thing I have again have no idea what it is. It can be used by hand but there is a chuck in the handle for? Certainly not a cordless drill to power it. No clue. Also a Snap-On belt buckle!

In the miscellaneous stuff a nice insulated tumbler, lanyard, a bottle koozie with magnets on the back. A motherboard jumper (actually, I’m building a new computer for my wife. Could come in handy.) And a (maybe?) genuine hockey puck. Cool to me, because I’ve never held one before.

In the racing area, a dash plaque, a Dale tin box, and the neatest durn Bell helmet for a leprechaun.

Fully kitted out as well.

Always appreciated; stickers!

Yay!, mystery box giver person! Thanks!

Edit: Bag of fish food in the background not sent by mystery box giver person.

P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff)
P5Racer (formerly BMWGeoff) GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/23/22 5:34 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

That looks like a Hamilton Bulldogs puck, once an NHL farm team, and now a junior team.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/22 7:20 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Hey! I resemble that hot pink tape! Uh, remember.  Yes.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/22 4:10 a.m.
moxnix said:

Our box arrived last week, but we were terribly behind on getting our box shipped until this week.  But it is now in the safe hands of the postal service and now we’re treating ourselves to the contents of this year’s box.  

Hmm, I wonder who it could be from….

Opening the box, we found plastic bags!!!  I know it’s hard to recycle these at present, but had not considered this as a method until now.

Under those plastic bags, the goodies were revealed.  In classic GRM NYG tradition, we have stickers:

Followed by peppers and leaves of unknown origin:

Do I want peppery food?  Because this is how I get peppery food:

Some beverages to go with those meals:  I can figure out the first one but no clue what exactly the second one is.

I’m rich!! 

Parts of unknown purpose:

A RAM cell phone holder.  It sort of fits my phone so I might have to try it out.

The final layer: Hot Wheels, wooden and metal containers, expired electrical tape, a rock-crawling competition DVD and a new magnet for the fridge,  

I assume the wood has the hungarian equivalent of Live Love Laugh on it but I don't feel like using google translate to check.

Thank you Hungary Bill!!

Awesome!!!

So the peppers and paprika powder are from our local market (locally grown and smoked), same with the tea leaves.  I have no idea if those leaves make good tea, but the lady REALLY wanted me to buy them (so I did, and pawned them off on you laugh)

The jar labeled "Eros Pista" ("Strong Steve") is spicy paprika paste and goes WONDERFULLY in just about any soup (a dab'll do ya).  If you have a good beef stew recipe, that's where it's best.  The tubes of stuff are for Gulyas makings.  Unfortunately, Mrs. Hungary bought the spicy Gulyas stuff  but if you dont mind spicy, here's two recipes to get you started using all that paprika

Real deal chicken paprika (Csirke Paprikas)
Cook about 5 chicken thighs (bone in).  I usually boil them in water or broth until they're soft.  Peel from the bone and put in sauce (below) and simmer.

Sauce:
One small thing of sour cream
one can of cream of chicken
a bit of garlic
About 1/8 cup of that there paprika (start at 4tbsp and work your way up.  dont be shy)
salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over cooked egg noodles.

Good stuff

For the Gulyas:
1lb of beef cubes in a gallon of water until they're cooked through (you can brown them first if you prefer)
add the full tube of that gulyas krem and half a tube of the red paprika toothpaste (piros arany translates to "red gold"). 
Add in a chopped onion, about 5 chopped spuds, 4 sliced carrots, and 2 sliced parsnips and cook em down till they're soft.  You can add beans, but you'll have to soak em overnight (bab gulyas).  Salt pepper and garlic to taste.

Enjoy!

The clear liquid in the little jar is "Palinka" and was made by my neighbors.  It's liquor and tastes like gasoline, and people drink it here like it's going out of style. 

The doo-dad with the air fitting is an air vaccum, the black box was sent with a used CB I ordered.  It threw my SWR readings in an unfavorable direction so I disconnected it and sent it out of country.  SWR has been spot on ever since.

The wooden sign was made by a buddy of mine locally.  It says "Danger, vicious dog", which is exactly what we asked for but Mrs. Hungary absolutely does not like the depiction of the bulldog for some reason.  Obviously that had to be sent out of country too.

The tape:  That stuff is F4 tape and it's like duct tape on steroids.  We always have more than we can use at work, and I'm always happy to take the expired stuff.  Wrap it using a 50% overlap, stripe side up, and secure at either end.  This suff'll hold back just about anything, and has a nuts-o temperature rating.

And the bags...  Wouldnt you know?  I get all this stuff home and ready to pack up and the recycling had just gone out.  Not a newspaper in site to pack this thing with.  Plastic bags were all I could come up with wink

Good times

moxnix
moxnix Dork
1/24/22 8:07 a.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:
Awesome!!!

So the peppers and paprika powder are from our local market (locally grown and smoked), same with the tea leaves.  I have no idea if those leaves make good tea, but the lady REALLY wanted me to buy them (so I did, and pawned them off on you laugh)

The jar labeled "Eros Pista" ("Strong Steve") is spicy paprika paste and goes WONDERFULLY in just about any soup (a dab'll do ya).  If you have a good beef stew recipe, that's where it's best.  The tubes of stuff are for Gulyas makings.  Unfortunately, Mrs. Hungary bought the spicy Gulyas stuff  but if you dont mind spicy, here's two recipes to get you started using all that paprika

The clear liquid in the little jar is "Palinka" and was made by my neighbors.  It's liquor and tastes like gasoline, and people drink it here like it's going out of style. 

The doo-dad with the air fitting is an air vaccum, the black box was sent with a used CB I ordered.  It threw my SWR readings in an unfavorable direction so I disconnected it and sent it out of country.  SWR has been spot on ever since.

The wooden sign was made by a buddy of mine locally.  It says "Danger, vicious dog", which is exactly what we asked for but Mrs. Hungary absolutely does not like the depiction of the bulldog for some reason.  Obviously that had to be sent out of country too.

The tape:  That stuff is F4 tape and it's like duct tape on steroids.  We always have more than we can use at work, and I'm always happy to take the expired stuff.  Wrap it using a 50% overlap, stripe side up, and secure at either end.  This suff'll hold back just about anything, and has a nuts-o temperature rating.

And the bags...  Wouldnt you know?  I get all this stuff home and ready to pack up and the recycling had just gone out.  Not a newspaper in site to pack this thing with.  Plastic bags were all I could come up with wink

Good times

Thanks for the recipes i'll have to give them a try.   I am good with spicy.  I hope the Palinka is better than the Unicum.  My wife likes tea so I guess she will get to try it out.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/22 12:23 p.m.

Mine is shown as delivered on Saturday

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/22 2:00 p.m.
moxnix said:
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:
Awesome!!!

Good times

Thanks for the recipes i'll have to give them a try.   I am good with spicy.  I hope the Palinka is better than the Unicum.  My wife likes tea so I guess she will get to try it out.

oh man.  I think just about anything is better than Unicum!! laugh

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/24/22 7:03 p.m.

Mine says it was delivered today blush Hopefully it was adequate!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/24/22 8:12 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

A bunch of things in your hoard look really, really familiar , but I didn't send them to you.wink

That is a Hamilton bulldogs puck from when they were an AHL team.

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
1/25/22 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

Ok, so looking at all the recipes you're posting up with stuff we can't get here, what spices did you use here that you can't get there?  The thought of having to change my repertoire of dishes because I couldn't get certain things is just hard to fathom.  I'm thinking I wouldn't have to worry about my Italian dishes, but would I still be able to do my Mexican dishes?  And since that's some of my picky daughter's favorite stuff, how would I keep her fed?  Dang!

demnted
demnted New Reader
1/25/22 8:02 a.m.

In reply to HoserRacing :

Either she'd get less picky or go hungry, no seriously I assume that there are ways to have most nonperishables shipped in.. May cost major moolah but if that is what you do....

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/25/22 9:20 a.m.

A box has arrived for me today at work! 

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/25/22 10:30 a.m.

Got my box on Saturday, finally have a chance to upload pics.

Ohboyohboyohboy

Nice note with a correct guess from a mysterious Idahoan.  Based on the swag within, I'm gonna guess....Antihero?

First layer:  disc brake rotor from a bike, credit-card multi-tool (handy!), and Dune Buggies and Hot VWs, which I grew up reading but probably haven't touched in 20 years.  Neat!

Huh?  Oh good, gnawing open the box made me hungry.  

Hmmm.   Not sure I'll be able to regift this, although I could use better wi-fi in my house. 

Next layer:  Quarter wrappers, hemp bracelet, potato-compatible (I hope) ethernet cable, and plug in something-or-other.

Zip-tie turbo kit!  I have not yet opened it, meant to but got sidetracked.

This is neat.  Not sure if I can use it, but it's like a manual speaker selector.  I'll figure out something for it.

Spark plugs!  CD!  Fuel Cap!  Chocolate Hot Wheels!  Chocolate Hot Wheels?

DVD of the missing Harry Potter movie, and a couple of GRMs from when I didn't have a subscription, including the now-infamous Camry track-car.

And finally, the omnipresent stickers.  I'm psyched, I didn't get any of these the first time everyone else did.  

Big thanks, Idaho.

1/25/22 1:42 p.m.

Yes it was I!

The weird plug in thing is a mouse deterrent. Why did I throw it in? I have no idea except it was the perfect size for the space I have left. I got the speaker selector in a box of gear and never used it so I know very little about it.

The cd is from my old band.

The spark plugs have a funny story, I walked it to get some for my caprice and the old guy behind the counter swore they were the right ones because he's worked on them for 50 years. If you open them......you will see he was wrong. The whole set cost under $4 too which should have been a dead giveaway for him.

Hemp bracelet is from my wife, her hang tag apparently fell off.

The potato is 2.5 lbs and funny.

The hot wheels is something my wife saw in the store and thought would be funny.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
1/25/22 8:54 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Yes it was I!

The weird plug in thing is a mouse deterrent. Why did I throw it in? I have no idea except it was the perfect size for the space I have left. I got the speaker selector in a box of gear and never used it so I know very little about it.

The spark plugs have a funny story, I walked it to get some for my caprice and the old guy behind the counter swore they were the right ones because he's worked on them for 50 years. If you open them......you will see he was wrong. The whole set cost under $4 too which should have been a dead giveaway for him.

The hot wheels is something my wife saw in the store and thought would be funny.

Y'know, I think you and I are the only active forum members residing in the Gem State; the funny part is that we are on opposite ends...

1/25/22 9:58 p.m.
Recon1342 said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Yes it was I!

Y'know, I think you and I are the only active forum members residing in the Gem State; the funny part is that we are on opposite ends...

You are probably right actually

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
1/25/22 11:51 p.m.

Box of goodies!!

At the first layer, A brake bleeding tool and packing peanuts!!

And then...

The whole haul! Was unable to take pictures as I was unboxing as I had a cat getting into the packing peanuts, then running with them stuck to him, then a dog chasing a cat running, then a dog trying to eat the packing peanuts...

There is a lot of goodies here, lugnuts, stickers, fuses, ridiculously strong magnets, a whole bunch of vacuum line connectors, couple gauge pods (may actually be handy, need to check present gauge sizes) bottle openers, seatbelt assembly that retracts better than the one in my BMW, a BMW rondel, looks like center caps for a mitsubishi, a variety of hardware, a rad cap post and two things that shall baffle me. Headlight bulbs and a container of cookies. The bulbs survived the entire journey here unscathed. The container of cookies got broken in transit.

Thank you JC (senders initials, uncertain of screen name) was a wonderful box to receive!!!

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/26/22 9:49 a.m.

My box is still pending shipping. It's about 95% full and awaiting a couple things. 

I did receive mine early this month. Super cool!

Box was heavily taped but still damaged just a bit.

Oddly, it is weighed at 31 pounds 4 ounces, but stickered as >35

In the top of my box... another box (a historic one!!)

On to the further contents!

Stickers!

CNC & 3D printed parts

copper tubing, piston, throttle body, Hot Wheels

tape measure (still in box!)

puzzle, coozies, fidget spinner (immediately grabbed by one of the kids), lanyards

brake rotors and a mysterious item protected by shop rags and zip ties

I don't see how to upload video, but this is neat! It's a 3d-printed double-doored container with carefully padded gold (er, 10mm sockets...) inside. 

It seems very Inspector Gadget with the gear and i'm very curious how it actually works but don't want to break it to find out...

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
1/26/22 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

That 3D box thing is super neat. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/22 10:53 a.m.

So, last night I finally had the time to open and go through the box that arrived here last weekend (presumably from hobiecr, based on an earlier comment :). 

It would appear that someone did at least a little bit of stalking. :)

Box opened! (I didn't have anything particularly interesting to open it with, unfortunately)

FIrst up: Books! Either the 'Deck Projects' book was a happy coincidence, or was the result of some really good forum stalking as we're working on getting things together for having a vacation cottage built (though I won't be building the deck myself). Hopefully I'll be able to take the E46 to autocross this year and have some use for the driving techniques book, and the novel (which I've not read) will likely get taken out to the cabin so I have something to read when I've blown through everything else I brought to read already (and so guests will have something to read as well).

Next layer: Several maps, including of my own state, which will likely get put into a cubby in the Infiniti (I actually still keep an Atlas of the US in the car when I head out away from town as a backup for the GPS), a drink coozie and... something that completely escapes me as to what it is. Hopefully I'll find out. (the other bolt and nut were at the bottom of the box) :)

Next up: Parts and Tools!

At this point I realized that I should probably no be putting some of this stuff on the bare wood table, so put down some protective paper towels...

FIrst up: An oil filter strap wrench, a heavy-duty computer-type power cord, a clock spring from an unknown car, and two.... offroad RC car tires, I presume? The clock spring may be something I actually play with in rebuilding the DMC- it doesn't inherently have a horn button on the steering wheel (you push in the turn signal stalk...), so I'm curious if I can engineer a way to use a clock spring and a newer steering wheel on it.

More assorted parts! What looks to be a motor and/or transmission mount assembly- looks somewhat like the ones from the Rampage, so it could be from a Mopar of some sort. A spring-loaded bracket mount, a Toyota sensor of some sort (I could probably find out what from the part number), what looks like a thermostat cover, a rather old-looking unopened can of Toyota EFI injector cleaner, and a half-full can of Nano-Polish.

Next up: a cute little carburetor! I'm assuming from either a larger RC car or from a lawn implement.

Tool Time! A mostly empty bit case, a wrench, an old (looking) wood planer to add to my growing but rarely-used selection of woodworking tools, and a few polishing/stripping wheels.

The ubiquitous selection of screwdrivers, including a very cute little wood-handled Philips one and one with six different bits in the handle. A marker light bulb. And a carb cleaning kit- which is something that I expect may come in handy as I have on several occasions needed the little pipe-cleaner-like cleaners that it comes with though ironically with probably putting a different engine in the DMC I won't have anything (automotive at least) with a carb shortly.

4 wrenches, a socket, another screwdriver, an air blaster (always useful), and a pair of angle cutters.

Clamps! One of the biggest spring-jaw clamps I've ever seen and two smaller ones- these are always handy, thanks!

Reaching the bottom of the box- several lengths of chain (look about right to use to hoist an engine or transmission), and a rechargeable USB headlamp! I imagine that had The Dancer been around when I opened the box and saw the headlamp that she'd have gotten quite a laugh out of it- I find them very useful and have one in the backpack we take out to the cabin to use when The Dog has to go out at night and she thinks I look ridiculous when using it- but at least I can see hands-free. :)

Thankfully, I noticed that some of the books were a bit uneven and looked inside them to find: a selection of stickers and a photo that I assume has some significance.

And finally: some music. I confess that I haven't put the actual CD in to listen to- largely because things that can play a CD are getting scarcer around the Ashyukun household (I think only our BluRay player and the external BluRay burner on my computer remain inside the house, and I think half of the vehicles still have disc players- the E46 & Infiniti I know do and the DMC does not but I can't remember if The Dancer's Colorado does)- but I did pull the album up in Amazon Music to listen to some of it. 

Thanks (presumably) hobiecr

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/22 11:19 a.m.

I could have sworn I threw some magazines in there as well.  The swag, magazines, and some of the stickers are from my first visit to PRI back in 2014 or so.  Also my first time meeting GRM staff!

The rotors are Miata parts, either NA or NB.  As an engineering student I was doing CAD work for a super sketchy local V8 Miata swap specialist that assured me he was checking my work and making sure it was up to snuff when it came to strength and fitment.  Things came to a head and I quit when I realized "up to snuff" to him meant they could be fabricated and there was no sort of strength testing of parts.  He had wanted me to design those hats for aftermarket rotors and they sat around for many years after I parted ways with him.  I realized they would be good ballast for the NYG box.

The machined parts are cut offs from my LS4.9 intake flange.

The 3D printed box is called a Venus Box if you want to google how it goes together.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/22 11:22 a.m.

I recognize the puzzle, I got that we lived in Germany, and the throttle body.  It fits a last gen SAAB 9-3 but don't use it.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/22 11:25 a.m.

It's called a Venus Box.

Apparently some other NSFW things are also called a "Venus Box" too ....

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/26/22 11:39 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

3d printed Venus Box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDE4vWX6Dz8

yes, very cool and mayy thanks for your stuff! I think there were also some magazines that did not get phographed. 

1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QYURDiJMHQA7SdvuG5Xtg4AFT5DEd3e4MPpsyuAyqaCQibJJV5hyYImg7SSObuXy