1 ... 24 25 26 27 28
matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
2/4/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Should I use a chainsaw on the upper part or will that risk the chainsaw?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/4/22 1:53 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

Might want to actually use:

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/4/22 3:21 p.m.

My package arrived!  My package arrived!  My package arrived!

Unboxing to follow laugh

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/22 8:39 p.m.
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:

My package arrived!  My package arrived!  My package arrived!

Unboxing to follow laugh

So great is the joy that these postal dumpsters bring us.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
2/5/22 6:17 p.m.

Ok, here we go, the trusty hawk is back in play. It flips pancakes and slices tomatoes, too.

Hmm, not the first time I have used an angle grinder to open a NYG box...

But the first time it has been warranted.

A little judicious grinding and use of a body sheet ripper later...

Lots of awesome stuff!

Five Hot Wheels, including an old '76 CVCC Civic. We had a '78 growing up, with an 8-track player and a speaker in the front.

A very amusing flip book, I will keep that in the game. For anyone wanting a hint, vigorously rubbing sticks together causes combustion.

Some awesome HD twine stuff, I will definitely be putting that to use, a proper hand drill, and some useful tools.

Some really cool stuff in this part.  A sweet old chalk line, a regular old chalk line, a sweet old tape measure, adjustable wrench, vice grips, clamps, boost gage and a box with a plug and a dial. An adjustable output doohickey to replace my Vari-AC perhaps? Investigation will follow.

Big bearings, a couple big ball joints, a Craftsman ratchet in need of TLC, the cutest little carb I have seen this side of RC engines, and with a hose fitting and no real bowl. Chainsaw? A manifold from something, a tiny rotary actuator, a shock absorbing shaft coupler, some fine chocolate, and a funny little bit. Some kind of carbide drill? A dressing point for a surface grinder? And that 7/16" wrench is Snap-On!

Zip-Ties, old car mags, a 10mm socket, and a 1990 VW brochure.

Remember when the brochures at the dealer had real numbers for car geeks? I miss those days...  FYI, my third car was a 1990 Corrado, red, purchased wrecked from IAAI.  Sadly, there was more dollar value in damage done in the IAAI lot than in the collision that totaled the car.

The srewdriver will go in the kitchen drawer for general household stuff. The wrenches (and plier set!), ratchet, pliers, etc. will go to build up my oldest foster kid's toolbox. He is going to be an auto mechanic someday and I have been slowly building his tools and skills.  I have a chalk line, new in the package, and I am guessing I know why they don't make them purely round anymore, but that old one is a keeper, just for fun.

Thanks Indy - Guy! Awesome stuff. And the next GRM victim that does not need their box to go through customs is getting a welded box liner as a regift. And yes, it will be welded back shut.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/5/22 8:19 p.m.

It's a good day in Utah. Just got word that a flat rate box hit home today and the only reason I can think of is one of you lunatics. Opening it might be tricky. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
2/6/22 12:31 a.m.

Loot!

But first, a decorated box. 

looks like it barely survived the postal service, but survive it did. 
contents!

The kids will be so excited for more hot wheels. Pretty sure the innuendo in the book will go unnoticed too. 

lanyards in color

ballast. In this case it's a matched set of loaded calipers. I greatly appreciate the plastic. 

Various electronic doodads. A light, a charger, some sort of gps tracker? A thing for conference calls for if I ever make more than one friend. And a radio adaptor for a Toyota. Fairly confident I can find a good home for that. 

magnet trays, a stainless drawer, cable lock, strap wrench, some split loom, a cork coaster, keychain multi tool, and a Ford badge. Legit!

stickers (woot!) and bags to hold my loot.

And my favorites. Velcro cable straps, microfiber towels, and a rad picture of a mammoth which I have plans for. 

Thanks PA! This was a hoot. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/6/22 2:24 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

USPS definitely did a number on the box. The lanyards are waterproof, designed for taking cell phones to the pool or beach.

Calipers should be from a 2004 Cavalier. 

The cigarette lighter flashlight is HF, and i try to keep one in all fo my cars - handy. This is the new model, not the one that was recalled ~3 years ago. 

The GPS is a dongle for a PC or laptop - I used it with a car laptop mount and Microsoft MapPoint back in the day. 

The speakerphone actually works well - but I have others. Tried to sell it on FleaBay and had no luck. It's old, but barely used & works with Teams/Zoom/etc. 

The mammoth card was in a 5 or 6 pack of hand drawn cards. It's the last one I had.

Stereo adapter was a misorder not worth returning. It was M and I needed F or vice versa. 

Glad you liked it!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
2/7/22 1:39 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

RaceTruckRon gets credit for creating the metal box, I just decided to weld it shut when I sent it along to you.  The Chalk lines and boost gage are regifts from years past, as are the ball joints.  I tried to find a VW Hot Wheels to send you, but local shelves have been very low lately.  The VW flyer was the best I could do.

The little carb is indeed from a small two stroke chainsaw, and that's a Genuine Jaguar Wheel center cap (that the mounting tabs broke off), and the 3/16" thick plate with two holes in it, are an off cut from the TR4 LS swap motor mounts (the one that amputated my pinky finger) Don't worry, no blood got on those bits.

I'm glad some of the tools are going to make it into your son's tool box.  Enjoy.

(oh, and that license plate was on the Motor Home we purchased last year)

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/7/22 8:03 p.m.

Tripped over this on my way out to work this afternoon...

Looks like my GRM Groundhog's day hemisphere has arrived! Unfortunately, with my work schedule, I won't have time to film an unboxing video until the weekend so stay tuned for that.

Make sure to go back to my post on page... I dunno... 10 and vote for the unboxing location.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/7/22 8:46 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

You already know the answer is a pillow fort inside the Camaro. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/7/22 8:52 p.m.

It's rainy season and the camaro leaks, I'm not going to waterlog all my good pillows for a video...

2/8/22 9:45 a.m.
2/8/22 10:16 a.m.

Sorry, but due to the unique way my computer VS phone works I had to do this in two posts wink

So not as climactic as opening a box with a chainsaw could be, but I did manage to not destroy any of the cool contents in the process (of which there were MANY cool things in this beast.  I really do have to up my game here...).  Here goes:

First up were some drafting stencils which I think are WAY COOL and a tech pen set to go with (from West Germany!).  I'm seriously thinking about buying a slide rule now and showing my young whipersnaper Hungarlings how things used to be done laugh

Next up were some stickers!  My favorites are probably pretty obvious but the DirtFish and Racing beat stickers were right up there with them.  On my last visit to the states, I tried very hard to visit DirtFish but it just wasnt in the cards.  The Portland International Raceway lanyard was another super cool catch.

Next up was another lanyard (US Dept of State), a NASA schedule, bump stops, a fuel line adapter, FK Rod ends (snicker) chap stick, a collection of single gloves (hillarious!) a tri-pod, rubicks cube (which finally made it back to its motherland!), a couple more stickers and a pressure gauge that had me scratching my head.  It looks to have fittings similar to my compression gauge, but only reads to 15psi.  you gotta tell me what this is for because I'm dying to know!

Also included was a micrometer that looks to be broken (I promise the chainsaw didn't to this!).  If it was broken in the post, I feel terrible, but if it was sent that way, I'm laughing.

Next we had a beer mug from Otto's Mini (hereby dubbed as my official garage mug) with "Into the Orchard's" spiced cider.  Sorry I couldnt crack this now, I had to head to work shortly after the opening.  A headlamp (always a welcome addition) some rock auto magnets, and SCCA "Outstanding Competitor" in RallCross recognition, a spy remote (I need to check this out before the kids get home.  This'll be a HOOT), a multiwrench, subaru clutch fork, and an RS232 cable tester.

Hidden in the pioneer face plate case were two mazda lug studs, a 1/4" extension with a 9mm socket.  A 7/16 wrench of the Husky variety, a 11mm socket and a gear wrench I forgot the size of between when I took this and now (sorry.  I snuck in a nap).

Next up was 2 helmet bags, a virginia license plate to add to my collection and a variety of seriously cool hot wheels.  The GT40 was slated to be my favorite until I saw that Ford F1 pickup heartlaugh

And next up is the piece de resistance:

The Fart book is going to go over super well with me and the Hungarlings (farts are always funny) but we are 100% buying a PS2 to play GT4.  I used to spend HOURS playing GT1 before I kind of fell out of the video game scene and have been looking for an excuse to get back into things.  Since my kids are so young yet, they 100% get a hoot out of playing all our old games but I think these are going to be a crowd favorite (especially being fans of the GT40 as we all are).

Next was a PRI bag (that's going to be my new trackday tagalong bag) and a bag of something I couldn't identify... I opened the latter to have a better look.

Moxnix, you gotta tell me what that last thing was.

And for the record I did feel 100% dumb when I sent out your package without even realizing that I had just sent you one in June or July (honestly it feels like 100 years ago).  That's what a crazy year this has been.  Anyhoo, I hope your now lifetime supply of Paprika and unicum in some way compares to this box of awesomeness you sent my way. 

Thanks a ton!

moxnix
moxnix Dork
2/8/22 12:14 p.m.

Guage - It is a regift as are some of the other things.  It is just a standard tire pressure gauge without an end on it.  Something like this. 

https://www.ogracing.com/products/longacre-standard-tire-gauge-0-15-psi

The micrometer was sent that way.  I was digging around in the garage and noticed it was broken and said send it!

I think the lug studs are for an RX8.  A friend gave them to me when I was codriving another friends RX8 in autocross a while ago.

As for that last thing I have no idea.  It has been knocking around in my toolbox for a while and I have no clue what it is.  I don't know if it was an old NYG gift or just something that showed up some other way.

I think that is a lifetime supply of unicum.  I managed to get my dad and brother to try it last year but I need to find a bunch of other people to attack with it to use the rest of it.  The Paprika will be gone in a few years.  I am actually just about to sit down to a lunch of some Gulyas and I think we are planning on making the Csirke Paprikas later this week so that should use up a good bit.

2/10/22 12:53 p.m.
moxnix said:

Guage - It is a regift as are some of the other things.  It is just a standard tire pressure gauge without an end on it.  Something like this. 

https://www.ogracing.com/products/longacre-standard-tire-gauge-0-15-psi

The micrometer was sent that way.  I was digging around in the garage and noticed it was broken and said send it!

I think the lug studs are for an RX8.  A friend gave them to me when I was codriving another friends RX8 in autocross a while ago.

As for that last thing I have no idea.  It has been knocking around in my toolbox for a while and I have no clue what it is.  I don't know if it was an old NYG gift or just something that showed up some other way.

I think that is a lifetime supply of unicum.  I managed to get my dad and brother to try it last year but I need to find a bunch of other people to attack with it to use the rest of it.  The Paprika will be gone in a few years.  I am actually just about to sit down to a lunch of some Gulyas and I think we are planning on making the Csirke Paprikas later this week so that should use up a good bit.

Oh man, I'm so glad!  I would have felt horrible if it broke in the Hun posta system laugh

So that thing that we dont know what thing it is?  Google tells me it's an "underground cable splice", but for the life of me I can not figure out how I would splice a dang thing with it.  My grandfather used to work for Pacific Bell, I'm going to send some photos his way and see if we're on the right track wink

About the Unicum:  I'm almost embarrassed to say that I can drink that almost no problem by now.  The Hungarians usually use it as medicine, but for some reason it seems to be the shot of choice when we go out.  Bummer it tastes so dang bad though, as I always thought the bottle was super cool!

Thanks again!

2/10/22 12:56 p.m.

An interesting thing happened today...

Jo beszels magyarul!!!  laugh

"TREAT AS ABANDONED"  laugh

Opening scheduled this saturday 

HoserRacing
HoserRacing HalfDork
2/10/22 1:00 p.m.

An interesting thing happened today...

Jo beszels magyarul!!!  laugh

Opening scheduled this saturday laugh

I don't, but google translate does laugh

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
2/14/22 6:43 a.m.

Welp, the result are in and I hate you guys.

Locked in your trunk:     66%
In a pillow fort:                33%
Blindfolded:                       0%

So here it is: 

Not entirely sure who my tormenter was but given the knives/condoms/hand sanitizer, I think maybe they should be on a list somewhere.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/22 9:31 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl :

I forgot about the stick people flip book. I got it in my Christmas stocking the first year of my participation in the NYG.

I wasn't sure if it would be okay to send it, glad it's still in rotation. 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
2/14/22 9:35 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to matthewmcl :

I forgot about the stick people flip book. I got it in my Christmas stocking the first year of my participation in the NYG.

I wasn't sure if it would be okay to send it, glad it's still in rotation. 

I sure hope it is okay to send because it is definitely going out in next year's box. That is definitely a goody to keep in the game.

2/14/22 12:03 p.m.

As promised, here's the unboxing from this weekend:

First up is the Mexican food! 

I didn't even get half a chance to grab these.  The youngest Hungarling snagged them both and I made him share. 

I've never listened to any of Steve Martin's albums, but Jimmy Rodgers is RIGHT up my alley!

A harbor freight light (I actually LOVE these, but the non-HF ones are so expensive here) followed by some legos!  The kids went immediately to work on the legos wink

Found!

A heckin cool tumbler filled with treats!

Mrs. Hungary was pretty jealous of this, I predict she'll be claiming ownership here shortly.

Sing it with me, folks!  "East bound and dowwwwwwn, loaded up and truckin..."

No idea why those are upside down, but the "Muscle Car Files" is SUPER cool.  I've already started reading it.

Stickarz!

The youngest immediately claimed the "Cheaper Than Dirt" sticker and slapped it on his bed cheeky

The oldest was joined by a neighborhood friend and went to work on the legos (the youngest followed shortly after

And last but certainly not least, my new "Hoser Racing" T-shirt laugh

Later on that night, I 100% intended on pouring me a glass of brown stuff and kicking back to some Jimmy Rodgers, but I started the CD set while I was cooking dinner and by the time I was done I decided some home-made "fruit squeezins" would probably be more appropriate

Good (*hiccup*) Good times, and thanks Hoser!!

2/14/22 12:15 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

So here it is: 

Not entirely sure who my tormenter was but given the knives/condoms/hand sanitizer, I think maybe they should be on a list somewhere.

I was laughing so hard at that, my lunch almost came out my nose!!!!

Also, Moxnix:

I 100% just bought a used PS3 over the weekend to play those games you sent wink

moxnix
moxnix Dork
2/14/22 2:07 p.m.
Also, Moxnix:

I 100% just bought a used PS3 over the weekend to play those games you sent wink

Great I hope you enjoy them.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/22 3:19 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

So here it is: 

Note to self:

If I get AClockworkGarage next year include an even dozen bottles of hand sanitizer and a fluffy pillow

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MAq7FqRu49CN8IIcpmPDN1v8tvJvvQX5OPbRBMnRPnkRKJm4jgcyxEfwDM3ghGhb