Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/1/08 10:42 a.m.

I know a lot of us have said that we'd love to see a mazdaspeed5: basically a mazda5 with all of the fun parts from a mazdaspeed3 added on. well it seems that the folks and c&d have started just such a project

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/c_d_boss_wagon_vi_contest

sorry about the link to a "competitor" mag, but they're not even really in the same league as GRM anyways.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
8/1/08 11:31 a.m.

Hmmmm

C&D = 5 guys on one project car.

GRM = Per on 3 and 1/2 (4 and 1/2 if you count the neon twice) Tim on 1, Andy on 1, Lear on 1 and thats just the active 10, of the 30 on the board.

I know what you're saying and cool on them, I am just touting our boys

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/1/08 11:34 a.m.

which is why i said C&D isn't really in the same league as GRM

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/1/08 11:35 a.m.

Per has the project car skills of at least 4 mere mortals.

Josh
Josh Reader
8/1/08 11:44 a.m.

YES! This is fantastic, can't wait for the result. I am hoping that many others follow suit and there will be a simple roadmap for me to follow in another few years once my Mom gets tired of hers and sells it to me for trade-in value .

Wowak
Wowak Dork
8/1/08 11:48 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Per has the project car skills of *at least* 4 mere mortals.

Comparing Per to mortals is an insult.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
8/1/08 11:49 a.m.

I have a theory that a large percentage of car mag/rag writers wish their mag was as cool as GRM. They definitly poached the idea for this build from us. definitly!

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/1/08 11:58 a.m.
Josh wrote: YES! This is fantastic, can't wait for the result. I am hoping that many others follow suit and there will be a simple roadmap for me to follow in another few years once my Mom gets tired of hers and sells it to me for trade-in value .

they make it sound pretty straightforward like that the ms3 suspension just bolts on to the 5. i'm sure the engine/trans fits in the engine bay, but they might have to put a scoop on it or something to fit the intercooler under the hood. i wonder if the shifter in the 5 mounts the same as it does in the 3, in which case it would just take the shifter box and cables from the ms3 to make that work.

doesn't seem like this is a whole lot of work, definitely not another LSx solstice

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/08 12:26 p.m.

IIRC, it's not actually C&D staffers who are doing the swap. They're supporting a local school who's going to be doing it. Having C&D on board is a big step towards getting Mazda to kick in a few parts - like a car and a drivetrain :) Kudos to C&D for helping out, and big props to the school for taking this on.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/1/08 12:56 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Per has the project car skills of *at least* 4 mere mortals.

Per's project car skills are such that when Chuck Norris needed a car built, Per scissor kicked Chuck Norris in the head and the car was done.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/1/08 1:25 p.m.

When Per starts on a project car, does he yell "Hammer Time!" ?

Or is that just implied.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/1/08 1:36 p.m.

or would it be shroeder time?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/1/08 2:51 p.m.

Ha, you guys make me laugh.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/1/08 2:58 p.m.

I entered their "design the car" contest.

I hope they go for it.

jg

oldsaw
oldsaw New Reader
8/1/08 3:16 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: I entered their "design the car" contest. I hope they go for it. jg

^ Another reason you have "hero" status 'round here!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/08 3:18 p.m.

Solid, JG, you should get a job in the art field.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/1/08 3:40 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Ha, you guys make me laugh.

I don't see no smile, guys. But I too think it's cool that you scissor kicked Chuck Norris.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/08 5:12 p.m.

JG, you are awesome. I hope you win.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
8/2/08 10:29 a.m.
nocones wrote: Per's project car skills are such that when Chuck Norris needed a car built, Per scissor kicked Chuck Norris in the head and the car was done.

This has to go in the "Seen on the Board" section of the Mag... LOL

Mental
Mental SuperDork
8/3/08 12:48 a.m.
atlantamx3 wrote:
nocones wrote: Per's project car skills are such that when Chuck Norris needed a car built, Per scissor kicked Chuck Norris in the head and the car was done.
This has to go in the "Seen on the Board" section of the Mag... LOL

Along with the art submission by JG

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/3/08 6:40 a.m.

This is soooo cool, I've been thinking of possibly buying one of these and I've even located an '06 with a manual tranny at Carmax.com.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2iewzwpHmIK8Db88qtMyKVdbmt14Mp9MDZAAdrVCVq73dbT78hqSnPnm0wMJqZB5