1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/3/10 11:27 a.m.

I've never been one to wash, much less paint or do any sort of aesthetic mods to my cars.

But I had a thought to take my beat-to-hell foxbody 'vert that I've been putting a ton of suspension under and paint it with the Gulf Oil livery.

Now, I have no association with Gulf Oil, never been part of a race team sponsored by Gulf Oil, etc, etc. As the wife would put it, "I just think it's pretty".

Is this a 'kosher' thing to do? Are they any standards/regulations for how that livery should look, other than the colors involved, and general shape?

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
6/3/10 11:34 a.m.

Eric Heinrich contacted Gulf with a request for exactly that for his e30 M3 J-Stock racecar and actually got a response acknowledging their approval making it an 'official' of sorts gulf car

you might be able to find him on www.s14.net to ask who/how he contacted there. i'm going to an autocross that he's registered for so i'll ask him if i remember.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
6/3/10 11:36 a.m.

the Gulf colors look good on ANYTHING!! So, you have my vote on YES! also, no state regulations that i know of, atleast in Georgia...

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
6/3/10 11:44 a.m.

I love Gulf colors. And Petty colors. And Mets colors. I think I just like blue/orange combos

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
6/3/10 11:55 a.m.

I've been thinking of the Martini livery on my CRX but it seems so so wrong.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/3/10 12:01 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I've been thinking of the Martini livery on my CRX but it seems so so wrong.

Why's that? I don't really know the history of the Martini Livery, other than Keith using it on the Targa Miata.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/3/10 12:02 p.m.

This Gulf oil livery?

Too soon?

RossD
RossD Dork
6/3/10 12:03 p.m.

The best looking car in Gulf livery:

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
6/3/10 12:03 p.m.

the CRX is too japanese for it. The Miata at least has some european cue.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer HalfDork
6/3/10 12:04 p.m.

When I get another FIAT I want to do an AlItallia livery.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
6/3/10 12:07 p.m.

Gulf Oil?

oldtin
oldtin Reader
6/3/10 12:07 p.m.

Some teams have copyrighted their color schemes/looks. While I'm sure there are plenty of gulf painted cars around, the right way is to have permission - that should also get you the exact color combo/paint formula.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/10 12:09 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: This Gulf oil livery? Too soon?

somehow I was just waiting for this

Carson
Carson Dork
6/3/10 12:16 p.m.

Personally, I like the big arrow.

I do like the BP liveries, especially the BP Ford Abu Dhabi WRC ones even though BP isn't very popular right now.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/10 12:19 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: I've been thinking of the Martini livery on my CRX but it seems so so wrong.
Why's that? I don't really know the history of the Martini Livery, other than Keith using it on the Targa Miata.

I've actually got a book on the history of Martini racing - that basic livery (white with the stripes) has been in use since the mid 70's. It's most well known on Lancias and Porsches, but it's also been used on Fords, Alfas and powerboats (to name a couple). It's always adapted to the body shape, there's no "official" design. For the CRX, I'd be looking at how it was done on some of the late Lancia rally cars, as they were similarly angular.

The main reason you don't see Martini livery often is that it's actually a real pain to do well, wheras the Gulf colors are super-easy. It's also trademarked. I've never approached Martini for permission or sponsorship, it's something I'm on the fence about. The worst-case scenario concerns me. I guess it depends on if Martini Racing is run by lawyers or by enthusiasts.

http://www.martiniracing.com

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/3/10 12:25 p.m.

Gulf colors and Mini-lite wheels win infinity.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/3/10 12:35 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Gulf colors and Mini-lite wheels win infinity.

Yeah, I'm probably not finding minilites for 5-lug Mustang. But I do have BBS RXs on there that need some cleanup, so I could totally get those powdercoated orange, hahaha.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
6/3/10 12:40 p.m.

How about John Player, Marlboro, or Castrol?

I flip-flop back and forth between doing the fully rally Castrol Vinyl set on my car. It would look awesome, but i'd feel a bit like a poseur since my car is wrong wheel drive and not awesome wheel drive.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
6/3/10 12:49 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Gulf Oil?

Legos FTW!

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/3/10 1:51 p.m.

RossD, close but not quite

jrg77
jrg77 New Reader
6/3/10 6:09 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

Would be more appropriate in Marlboro livery I think.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
6/3/10 6:11 p.m.

Good call lol

Too bad my Xbox RROD'd or I could try some different things out and decide.

I'd been going through the Italians before it died.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
6/3/10 6:25 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Some teams have copyrighted their color schemes/looks. While I'm sure there are plenty of gulf painted cars around, the right way is to have permission - that should also get you the exact color combo/paint formula.

See there is this thing called parody, you are allowed to mock copyrighted things with this parody law. Even so, it'd be really hard for a race team, or not that smart of a race team to go after and individual for copying their "scheme" this would be a sure fire way to lose fans, sales, etc. I would almost do it just to see if they would come after me lol

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
6/3/10 6:31 p.m.

Copyright law requires the accuser to prove they lost revenue due to the infringement. I doubt we'll be doing anything but advancing their cause.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
6/3/10 6:44 p.m.
RossD wrote: The best looking car in Gulf livery:

wat

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9fX96tVwUIrVXKdPkgcUZZ97RkZPE54svmve0hTekIHxqelmalG0NsANJ8F9JAHH