preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/22 10:25 a.m.

“This is the day we pay homage to all those who didn’t come home. This is not Veterans Day, it’s not a celebration, it is a day of solemn contemplation over the cost of freedom.” -Tamra Bolton

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/30/22 10:27 a.m.

I have a tradition every Memorial Day. I watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

10 minutes of respect feels like the least I can do.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/30/22 10:28 a.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

“This is the day we pay homage to all those who didn’t come home. This is not Veterans Day, it’s not a celebration, it is a day of solemn contemplation over the cost of freedom.” -Tamra Bolton

Good point--and much more eloquent than mine, so let's make this the first post.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/22 10:52 a.m.

This is a sad day for me.  I have lost friends to war. Every Memorial Day I can not help wondering what if.  What if they came home. What if their demons could have been tamed.  Today is a day to remember them and honor them.  I miss them all so much and yes there is a hint of guilt that I am still here but I also know that all of them would say to me. "Smarten up Smudger".   

preach (dudeist priest)
5/30/22 11:08 a.m.

I went to the Medal of Honor museum in Chattanooga, TN last year. It was quite humbling reading the stories/actions of the people I could see in their pictures. If you ever get a chance to go there please do it. 

I share a name with a MoH recipient:

Daniel Atkins 

preach (dudeist priest)
5/30/22 1:24 p.m.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. The only way they can inherit the freedom we have known is if we fight for it, protect it, defend it, and then hand it to them with the well-thought lessons of how they in their lifetime must do the same. And if you and I don’t do this, then you and I may well spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it once was like in America when men were free."

- Ronald Reagan 1961

'When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free.'

-Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/30/22 1:44 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/30/22 1:56 p.m.

Today I pulled the old  R-90 out for its first scoot, everything went well around the back roads east of Saratoga Lake.  (great roads when teaching a teenager to ride).  Always seem to end up at the National Cemetery, beautiful place!  Sometimes Trish goes there to chat with her father.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/30/22 2:01 p.m.

I'm spending the day outside with my 2 year old son because others sacrificed all so that we could. I quietly thank them.

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/30/22 2:30 p.m.

In memory of my comrades-in-arms:

Capt Brent Morel, USMC

1st Lt Travis L Manion, USMC

GySgt Ryan Jeschke, USMC

SSgt Jason Whitehouse, USMC

SSgt Christopher Zimmerman, USMC

Sgt Jonathan Simpson, USMC

Sgt Nicholas Walsh, USMC

Sgt Jon Balkowitsch, USMC 

Sgt Seth Algrim, USMC 

and the thousands of others not personally known to me who died in the service of their country. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/22 3:29 p.m.

Thank you to all who serve and have served, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/22 4:47 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Thanks for posting these.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/22 6:30 p.m.

For those that we lost.

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies Reader
5/30/22 8:18 p.m.

For me it's in rememberance if my grandpa joe. WWII and Korea.

But it's also thinking of my best friends who served and lost something along the way. 

I hope you understand what I'm saying, sorrly for the typos but man I can hardly see the screen right now

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
5/30/22 10:13 p.m.

Decoration Day. I won't post my comrades, but too many suicides, too many needless deaths, and too many trying for a rescue. These last two years have been so hard because I have infinite time to inventory and remember names and faces and places. Mine all have USCG at the end of their titles but it doesn't matter. Remember, and let's just inch this world a little better and safer so we don't have to cry so much. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
5/31/22 12:12 a.m.

Travis Manion is from the town I grew up in. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
5/31/22 12:31 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

It's a small world. His mother and father were the guests of honor at our Ball that year, a few months after he was killed and shortly after we returned home. His sister is doing an amazing job running the foundation named in his honor, and doing a lot of good for gold-star families.

One of these days, I'll make it to Arlington to visit him... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2zSUqyGQR7b6idSZcyC0YpKY8AmTpeQFRoHe9NAduW9rIiS48dd9HbcrMUOmrkxB