1 2 3 4
PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/2/21 8:05 p.m.

I am cautiously optimistic. Interview went pretty well I think. Still not trying to get my hopes up. I'm just happy I got to interview for such a position that is not in my professional  realm. I am currently a Sr. Engineer going into Lead engineer soon. This is for a director position outside of engineering but a lot of my engineering skills can be applied. I was open and honest with them and they know I don't have a ton of managerial experience but do work with people above and below my position and need to guide people to get jobs done. They liked the rest of my skill combinations and I hope liked my personality and enthusiam.

So now it is a wait and see. They said they should know in a couple of weeks. They did ask for references so I provided those. I'll find out if they are called at least.

For now though I am exhausted.  I haven't slept well the last couple of nights thinking about this interview along with current job BS.  Fingers crossed. A lot still needs to go right and even if I get the offer there will need to be some negotiations.  Thanks for asking! I appreciate all of the feedback and comments!  

PMRacing
7/7/21 2:04 p.m.

Wow, 5 months since I last updated, huh?  I was taking a break for a bit because I was getting overwhelmed at work with a new customer and prepping for the tuning trip, PCA responsibilities (I'm chief driving instructor for two events this season), and the job hunt, plus family life with a toddler. The stress was getting to me. I was getting snappy when people asked me questions, I couldn't focus, and was just grouchy all the time. Something had to give and the job hunt was the only thing that could take a break. Things have calmed down a bit.  But bad news struck today.

The interview in my last post went right to the wire. I met with the COO, CEO, then the new CEO after there was a change. The position was for Director of Track Operations at a local garage condo complex with a performance track (you get 1 guess cheeky, I just don't want to mention the name here).  I thought I nailed all the interviews and had good vibe with all of the people I met. I also talked to and know quite a few of their instructor core already.  I already had my "2 weeks notice" speech memorized.  I found out the day before I was leaving for my test trip in April that I did not get the position.

When I was laid off last year and kept on contract, I had told my boss that the only reason I was sticking around was because I was working for him. Not the company.  Well, today we found out he is leaving for one of our customers (across the country). Mostly for personal reasons, and I believe him. He has good faith in my current company and our group will succeed without him. However, this may be the kick in the butt I need to get back on the job hunt seriously again. Work is in a slow period so I can dedicate more time to it.  However, I am in the office a bit more, so I need to find more excuses to work from home. 

Anyway, I'll try and update this again as things progress. I'm going to engage with my coach again, too, to get back on track. Wish me luck!

Best of luck, Phil! Sorry you didn't get the gig at the garage condo. That would have been sweet!

PMRacing
9/23/21 8:43 a.m.

I have an offer! It's decision time.  Currently weighing pros and cons. Pros are winning. Look for an update tomorrow :)

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
9/23/21 9:28 a.m.

This is timely, as I really can't leave my current job soon enough.  Is your old coach a local thing, or a bit wider? Would you be willing to share connections with him? 

PMRacing
9/23/21 9:43 a.m.

In reply to sobe_death :

I haven't met him in person and everything has been done by phone, computer, and email. Email me at philmatherracing at the googles mail and I'll share his info.  We are still in contact and he has been helping me through negotiations. Next steps will be making sure the first 100 days are a success, so I'll be having some more sessions with him in the future. There are some personality/career type tests (not the Meyer/Briggs, but something a little more in depth) that cost a few bucks, but everything has been worth it so far. Read through the whole thread to see what some of the tests were like, and I think overall costs was mentioned as well. The raise I got earlier this year paid for the service 10x alone. It has been worth it.

And if you do shop around for coaches, don't go for the ones that sell you on "pay me X and I'll guarantee you Y" type. A real coach makes you do the work; they just bring what you're capable of out of you and helps you grow where you need now and in the future. That is what my coach as been doing.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/23/21 9:44 a.m.

I'm really interested to hear how it works out.

PMRacing
9/24/21 12:51 p.m.

Not gonna reveal too much yet, but I've accepted!  Major step forward for career even if a bit risky. More next week after I give notice at my current company. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/21 7:29 p.m.

Congrats!!!

StilettoSS
StilettoSS New Reader
9/26/21 2:26 p.m.

Congrats and best of luck to you! :)

I'm very interested in obtaining the services of a career coach. My husband (preach) and I will be moving to Tennessee in about 9 years when he retires, but I will still be working for about another 10 years. I have worked for the same place for the last 16 years and I'm definitely nervous about a change in jobs, but I already know I could be making a lot more money somewhere else and would have more resources to do my job which would probably make me happier and less overworked. I currently work for a non-profit healthcare center, so pay is low and there's never enough money to go around for things we desperately need. I think the move will force my hand to find a new job, and I'd like to get my job searching skills polished.  I'm especially interested in coaching on salary negotiations. In the past I've always seen it as you take what they offer you, but I am starting to realize I have skills worth negotiating for. Thanks for posting this thread! I will be PMing you :)

PMRacing
9/27/21 11:09 a.m.

The deed is done. My coworkers mostly informed as well.  Adrenaline is still flowing. It's never easy, esp. when you do like your colleagues. 

So, I'm going from Sr. Engineer working in damper development to Lead Chassis Dynamics Engineer at a small start-up-ish electric vehicle company. I'll be going from component to full vehicle responsibility. Huge learning curve, huge responsibility changes, but the rewards outweigh the risks.  

One of the best things my coach said to me was sometimes it's more dangerous to stay stagnant in a good position than to move to a new position with potential to be great. 

This has been a stressful, frustrating, tiring, but ultimately satisfying journey and I'm glad you all have followed along. I'll update periodically as this "build thread" is far from over. And hopefully in several months you'll get to sample the fruits of my new endeavor. I'll make sure GRM gets a vehicle to test!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/28/21 9:05 p.m.

Congratulations!

PMRacing
10/7/21 10:20 a.m.

Tomorrow is my last day at my current position. I sent out my thank you and farewell email to the colleagues I have worked most with, and some of the higher ups in my division. 

A couple days after giving notice I had a call with my Sr. Director. He apologized for the situation they put me in last year and understood why I was leaving.  Today I get an email from the VP of our business unit apologizing for the situation and wishing me luck.  I think they know they messed up.  Both said that if the grass isn't greener I can reach out. 

My exit interview is tomorrow. I'll be honest but not going to burn any bridges. They started the ball rolling and the right opportunity presented itself.  Now they will have to deal with the ramifications.

I remember writing earlier in this story about being patient and ready for the right opportunity.  It wasn't easy, but it is now time!

I knew this was the right opportunity as I was getting ready to give my 2 weeks notice. There was very little anxiety and it was more of a relief. I still feel that way. Now, I have a week to unwind and do some fun things and begin the next chapter on 10/18.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/7/21 10:21 a.m.
PMRacing said:

Tomorrow is my last day at my current position. I sent out my thank you and farewell email to the colleagues I have worked most with, and some of the higher ups in my division. 

A couple days after giving notice I had a call with my Sr. Director. He apologized for the situation they put me in last year and understood why I was leaving.  Today I get an email from the VP of our business unit apologizing for the situation and wishing me luck.  I think they know they messed up.  Both said that if the grass isn't greener I can reach out. 

My exit interview is tomorrow. I'll be honest but not going to burn any bridges. They started the ball rolling and the right opportunity presented itself.  Now they will have to deal with the ramifications.

I remember writing earlier in this story about being patient and ready for the right opportunity.  It wasn't easy, but it is now time!

I knew this was the right opportunity as I was getting ready to give my 2 weeks notice. There was very little anxiety and it was more of a relief. I still feel that way. Now, I have a week to unwind and do some fun things and begin the next chapter on 10/18.  

I'm not a career coach, but my strong unsolicited advice for exist interviews is: name, rank, serial number. Don't say anything.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/21 10:56 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

That is 100% for sure. Thanks for the opportunity, I really appreciate what (Insert company name) has done for me. I was glad to be part of the team. Best of luck in the future.

They are very unlikely to make changes based on any issues you bring up in the exit interview, it can only be held against you.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/7/21 10:59 a.m.
New York Nick said:

In reply to tuna55 :

That is 100% for sure. Thanks for the opportunity, I really appreciate what (Insert company name) has done for me. I was glad to be part of the team. Best of luck in the future.

They are very unlikely to make changes based on any issues you bring up in the exit interview, it can only be held against you.

That last sentence is gold. If they wanted your advise, they'd ask now, and it wouldn't be HR doing the asking. It is only for their use against you in the future. It cannot help you in any way.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/21 11:04 a.m.

I Respectfully disagree re. Exit interview. If the company is berkeleying up and making me leave, I tell them exactly that. If my management was a bunch of dick holes, I tell them that too. Maybe it never falls on listening ears, but I do what I can. It's not me, baby, it's you.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/7/21 11:08 a.m.

Depends on the company, I guess, but I used to review exit interview takeaways as part of my job at a bank in Operational Risk Management. One of our key risks was people risk - and one of the indicators was turnover. We started looking at turnover, and it was higher than our peers, so we did take that into account. And I was not HR - we were just telling HR and the higher ups, hey, this is a big risk, and these are what people are saying about it - lets take their advice to mitigate the risk. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/7/21 11:49 a.m.

Yeah. Im of the "don't burn bridges" school buut will tell people exactly why I'm leaving. 

Usually it's a mix, I see a good opportunity at the new company and there is no opportunity here.  Usually it's not a shock to the senior leaders of an org.  

last place I left I said " this job was fun and is no longer fun. "   Two months after I left the hr person conducting the exit interview left   

PMRacing
10/18/21 6:41 a.m.

About to head out for my first day!  Feels like the first day of school again. I guess in many ways it is.  Wish me luck!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

Good Luck!

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/21 2:07 p.m.

Best of luck in the new role, it sounds perfect for you!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/18/21 7:10 p.m.

Congratulations on the new role!!

How about a separate build thread for the new job? It sounds super interesting and it would be fun to follow along that part of the journey too!

PMRacing
10/22/21 12:45 p.m.

One work week in. The best way I can describe this experience right now is I feel a caged bird that has been released. I've been stretching my wings out and adjusting to new my surroundings and looking around.

The biggest thing, though, is I can see the end goal and know what it is. All the stuff in the middle needs to be figured out, but I can see it!  And I get to figure out the middle stuff with respect to my responsibilities! (And there will be a lot of them!). 

​​​​​​So, one week impression...I made the right move at the right time, and the potential is huge. I think this is going to be fun!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/29/21 8:32 p.m.

How was week 2?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yuHRh7eOkI2oMmeLiiXU4I8y4OGu32Qj0VjzoF6F0iM5jQbbchuqBBKdE8hfKoKU