barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
4/27/22 12:02 p.m.

I tried searching and couldn't find a thread, so here we go

Like every kid I ever met, I grew up shooting makeshift bows and arrows. Stuff made from sticks and yarn, coat hangers, whatever. Graduated to suction cup arrows at some point and even spent some time behind real bows when I got older. Now I just bought my 5yo a little plastic jobber with suction cups and it got me thinking. I think I'd like to get into archery for reals. So I borrowed my brothers 50lb recurve and a couple arrows and imma see if it's as fun as I remember. 

Im going to assume that we have a resident expert or two, but any knowledge is more than I currently have. Are there any good free resources for basics like form and techniques? Any pointers for beginners? If it can hold my interest for more than 12 minutes I'd like to get a nice compound, but I'm happy to test the waters for just the cost of a few arrows and a string or two. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/27/22 12:11 p.m.
TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 New Reader
4/27/22 12:12 p.m.

Grassroots Bowyersports is my only contribution

barefootcyborg5000
4/27/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I saw that, but without reading the whole thing I seemed to me more like how to DIY a bow, and I'm more after how to drive one. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/27/22 1:28 p.m.

Nothing to help but my high school had Archery/Golf for the upperclassman gym class choices in the fall.  Six weeks or archery and 3 weeks of golf.   

It required you not to change in to gym attire or shower - wear your "street clothes" (we still say that?) so all the burnouts and geeks took the class and we had interesting stories with people shooting the arrows across the street.   

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/27/22 1:37 p.m.

Have you Googled your latest fetish?    I bow hunted when young, bow fished with my Dad at age 10 or 12, never did really get back into it (regretfully).  Somehow I think compound bows are bringing a gun to a knife fight, way better for food harvesting though!   You could also look at your local Rod & Gun Club.  Some clubs around here have indoor competition, uphill, downhill; challenging as hell.

As I throttle back a bit from flying I consider those options more and more.  Will be following this for results and information.  

Good Luck, Barefoot.

barefootcyborg5000
4/27/22 2:07 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Oh Google has me pegged already. I have two tabs open on the work machine and I've been reaching out to the local folks I know for about two weeks now. 
As far as hunting, I think when I do get into that I'll stick to bullets. This is more for me to hone a skill/hobby that won't wear on my body or ears or wallet* as much as my other hobbies. 

*I know it's not exactly cheap, but aside from a few arrows and spare strings it's pretty much a one time expense. Initial looking has compound bows anywhere from $300-$1000 on Sportsman's Warehouse, and the dude I talked to yesterday said for everything I'd need including arrows and case I'd probably be $1500 all in for a reasonable setup. 

barefootcyborg5000
4/27/22 2:22 p.m.

So, before I buy any gear, I think I'll see about getting a couple lessons at the local shop using the bow I borrowed and go from there. I'll get some pictures up and post what I learn too. Hopefully in the next couple weeks. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
4/27/22 2:42 p.m.

Two of our kids did archery in HS so we have a pair of Genesis bows.

A few years back I ordered a pair of boat seats for my dad and they also sent him a Bear compound hunting bow.  His shoulder was getting bad at that point so he gave it to me (yay, free stuff).  I learned early on (showing it to a friend) to never dry fire a bow.

Archery purists insist on using arrow releases but I seem to do as well with a three finger pull.  And holding it feel more natural that way.

Before spending much money I'd look for used stuff that someone has gotten bored with and sells for 1/2 or less on marketplace.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
4/27/22 5:45 p.m.

Been ages since I did anything for the sport. I only shot targets for fun and did a couple of leagues. I always used a compound and shot with fingers. Everyone in the family was shot with a trigger. Never could get the hang of it with that for some reason. I saw on YouTube there was a video for making a cheap compound bow out of PVC that looked very cool and easy to do.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/22 6:47 p.m.

My wife and I both shoot. We both started with compounds but recently I had a recurve made for my wife. I think I like shooting that better than the compound and may switch. Both of my kids have been shooting with 4H and at home. 

Lobsterpennies
Lobsterpennies Reader
4/27/22 10:08 p.m.

I would stick with the recurve and see if it really interests you. Set up a backyard target if you can and just have fun learning the basics and then spend the money 

When I was a kid archery was actually part of the p.e. program, and I found I was l good at it, been a long while, need to go back and read the thread mtn posted, always wanted a long bow...

barefootcyborg5000
4/27/22 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Lobsterpennies :

That's the plan. I think I'm going to keep my spending to about half a dozen decent arrows and a lesson or two. If it sticks then I'll buy myself a bow. 

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/27/22 10:49 p.m.

I have a couple of compound bows and a target that I need to get set back up now that winter is over. My Mrs is downright deadly from inside 100 yards with a bow. She is more of a hunter than I am, but I definitely love to get out and fling sticks at 300 fps. 

My primary rig is a Hoyt, it's been good to me thus far. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GipUsk9uOETdJNwezPuZ1dhUkunfBZcLpJc01GXmD5qUME9aOAFOrLBIx1eq6zAi