1 2
ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/4/22 6:05 p.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

In Holland some public restrooms use blue lights so junkies can't find their veins.

Canada too. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/22 8:41 p.m.

They seem to be concentrated around certain intersections around here. I suppose that's because the lights were all replaced at the same time. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/5/22 8:05 p.m.

My camera REALLY hates the blue light

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/22 8:07 p.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not surprised.  Probably something specific with the camera sensor.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/5/22 8:08 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

These were not even the super blue ones. They were probably halfway there. Its like old grand turismo on PS2. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/5/22 8:51 p.m.

I did not look at the link, but blue lights make it impossible for the junkies to find a vein to shoot up, just sayin'

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/5/22 9:08 p.m.

You guys were not serious about this stuff right?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/22 9:37 p.m.
Toebra said:

I did not look at the link, but blue lights make it impossible for the junkies to find a vein to shoot up, just sayin'

Maybe you should read the link, then?

Also, careful with the word "impossible"

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/6/22 8:11 a.m.

So just after 8am and I learned something.  Saw my first purple streetlights last night.  Kinda cool and weird.  Manufacturing defect makes it so much less interesting.  I was assuming we were addressing light pollution or saving the spotted Amazon Cuckoo.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/6/22 9:46 a.m.

They make me feel like I'm in a Kavinsky video.

Note this one is slowed down.. couldn't find the right one.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 12:02 p.m.

It would suit me to turn them all off. I had to have the power company put a shield on the streetlight in my front yard to keep it from shining in my house.

Unfortunately, the advent of the LED has made lighting so cheap they put more up as fast as they can and light pollution is worse than ever. 

When I was growing up, the Milky Way was visible to the eye if you were laying in a field at the farm my dad grew up on. It was amazing. Not anymore though. The lights from the City of Charleston have washed that all away. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
12/6/22 12:15 p.m.
Toyman! said:

Unfortunately, the advent of the LED has made lighting so cheap they put more up as fast as they can and light pollution is worse than ever.

Also the power savings is negated when too much additional lighting is installed.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/6/22 12:18 p.m.

The City of Columbus has a stated goal of putting street lights on every street. What are we, 5 and afraid of the dark? Let it get dark, enjoy it. I'd rather they took out street lights.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/6/22 12:26 p.m.

I can't believe we got to two pages before invoking the ghost of Prince:

All shall worship the Purple One.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
12/6/22 1:39 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I had to have the power company put a shield on the streetlight in my front yard to keep it from shining in my house.

Can you please elaborate on what that process looks like?  My house has way too many street lights.  I would love to knock out a few of them and the .22 with the suppressor is not the politically correct way to do it.   

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/22 10:04 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

My wife called and complained about the amount of light shining in the windows. The power company installed an aluminum shield that blocks the light from the house. IIRC it took several calls.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/22 12:08 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

People here just assumed it was for The Ravens

I definitely did

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/22 4:23 p.m.

Coming home from work today I saw a minivan with purple fog lights. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/22 6:54 p.m.

I wonder if these things wave an impact on the cameras in cars. Especially those that are for self driving or driver assist. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jGfmOHKqoCs86OD0Rxco12J6qqt8HLaSbJD8s73vCd0tR8s98o6EBrFwwnrBoEjE