1 2
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/4/19 3:53 p.m.

We’re hoping to start building by the end of the year. Met with the guy who I’m 99% sure will be our builder again today. Toured a couple kick-ass spec homes he’s building.

He has a really good reputation for taking a sketch and turning it into a home, but I’d really rather present him with some real numbers on room sizes, and an idea of what it should look like on the outside.

What I really want as far as the floorplan is the house I grew up in. REALLY common design in FL - at least in the 70’s. I’m told it’s called a “split ranch,” but searching that, I can’t find a cookie-cutter plan that looks like this.

Forgive the crude sketch. I was trying to get it done quickly & let the builder get back to work. He said he’s done similar layouts, but pre-iphone & therefore no pics.

Anyway. HELP! I’ll owe you a beer or 12.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/4/19 3:56 p.m.
NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
3/4/19 4:00 p.m.

Some of your features look similar to the home I'm building. Lmk if you have any questions: 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/4/19 4:05 p.m.

Just an FYI for the nomenclature, what I've always heard referred to as a split ranch is also known as a raised ranch or split level. Typically you'll drive into the garage, and walk into the basement. Walk upstairs for the "ranch" portion of the house. Worst design ever IMHO. Hated living in one. 

poopshovel again
3/4/19 4:08 p.m.
mtn said:

Just an FYI for the nomenclature, what I've always heard referred to as a split ranch is also known as a raised ranch or split level. Typically you'll drive into the garage, and walk into the basement. Walk upstairs for the "ranch" portion of the house. Worst design ever IMHO. Hated living in one. 

Lol. Yeah. We currently live in a split-level and it berkeleying sucks. We’re really looking for “split” bedrooms - master on one side, kids’ rooms on the other side of the house. And a BIG ASS berkeleyING BACK PORCH.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/4/19 4:16 p.m.

If I didn't have 9,784 other things to do, I would happily design one for you.  But unfortunately, I do.

poopshovel again
3/4/19 4:36 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

Damn. That looks really cool! But also quite a bit bigger than what we can afford.

Probably should’ve mentioned earlier we’re trying to keep it around 2,000 sq ft. Preferably 1800 ish.

poopshovel again
3/4/19 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I get it. Thanks, man! I was really hoping someone would say “Yeah, duh, that’s a “.....” plan. I built hundreds of them in FL in the late 70’s.”

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
3/4/19 4:45 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to NordicSaab :

Damn. That looks really cool! But also quite a bit bigger than what we can afford.

Probably should’ve mentioned earlier we’re trying to keep it around 2,000 sq ft. Preferably 1800 ish.

Yeah, I hear you. It is just a Ranch style home you are looking for. I live in FL and that plan is a go to. I'll browse a couple of the builders websites in this area and see if there is anything similar. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/4/19 5:32 p.m.

I amThinking A Frame with 1 Maybe2 beds With a Campsite Downstream for Family, For Pat and Myself..

poopshovel again
3/4/19 5:55 p.m.
NordicSaab said:
poopshovel again said:

In reply to NordicSaab :

Yeah, I hear you. It is just a Ranch style home you are looking for. I live in FL and that plan is a go to. I'll browse a couple of the builders websites in this area and see if there is anything similar. 

Thanks man! I grew up in PSL/Ft. Pierce, just down the road from you. Super common layout down there. Up here, not so much. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
3/4/19 6:12 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Holy E36 M3, did you live with my parents? That is their floorplan. And yes they live in FL. I really like that plan since it keeps either kids or guest in their own end of the house.

Pete

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/19 6:14 p.m.

If the builder you are gonna use is good at coming up with plans off sketches i would show him what you got, 1800 sqft, and using the plan as an idea, 30x60 looks like it could work well from those plans. Start using math to figure out the room sizes and that would work.

After you figure out sizes, draw it out on graph paper or measure it out in the real world in your house and see if itll work. To me, the kitchen looks small and id probably just get rid of the wall with the pocket door since its not really doing much but this is obviously not to scale at all.

poopshovel again
3/4/19 6:23 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Copy that. Yeah. Totally not to scale. Hell, it may be worth a trip to my best buddy’s parents’ house with a tape.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
3/4/19 6:47 p.m.

This is the DR Horton Aria, 1674 sq. Ft. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/4/19 6:49 p.m.

You could use Sketchup to get the areas and scale to your liking. Apparently is easy for a novice to use, but I have no experience with it, but its free.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
3/4/19 6:54 p.m.

poopshovel again
3/5/19 3:52 p.m.

My best buddy’s dad broke out a tape for me. I think this is pretty close! Antihero nailed it. Roughly 30 X 60. Needs a bigger garage, obviously, but I think we’re gettin close!!! Didn’t account for fireplace, but I think it’d be cool to have one in the wall shared by the living room/family room.

And ALL THE POCKET DOORS!!!!!!

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/5/19 4:00 p.m.

This is from here.

Done in brick, it's actually a pretty handsome house.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/5/19 5:45 p.m.

Just saw this today on FB.  You can never have enough garage space.

Serious note: berkeley pocket doors, they suck.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
3/6/19 4:44 a.m.

It seems like you might have what you need with those dimensions, but for other reference, "Split bedroom ranch" seems like the search term with the best results.

This one is similar to your plan idea, but no other info...

Related image

The Clay Center II by Wardcraft Homes seems close as well

https://www.modulartoday.com/floorplans/wardcraft/claycenterii-floorplan.jpg

"Plan 3863JA"?

Split Bedroom Ranch is Fully Accessible - 3863JA floor plan - Main Level

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/6/19 7:02 a.m.

Two Car Car?

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/6/19 7:05 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

That kind of reminds me of a house I actually built in 1988.  It was an 1800 sq. ft. house with an attached 4 car garage, 2 x 2, with garage doors on both ends.

ewperry3328
ewperry3328 New Reader
6/29/23 12:25 p.m.

I love these homes. Hopefully will build one someday. https://www.topsiderhomes.com/house-plans-online.php?collection=Piling

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/29/23 12:28 p.m.

You are looking for a split bedroom ranch, not a split level.

Its a ranch house (single story) with bedrooms at both ends. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WDD3uo7G1yLorFna84Uq9dh3TjTvtou2ANW3RFmLiiJaET4GVj6FA3wLvc8NLtO9