1 2
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/16/12 8:08 p.m.

I just bought a Fannie Mae foreclosure house which was built in 1979. It has some oh so cool 1970's era light fixtures which are in good shape, except one. I need a glass globe like this one:

Sure, I could replace it with something different but I'd have to replace 2 and I really like the things (please hold coments about my taste, or more accurately lack thereof! ). I spent ~2 hours Googling to no avail. Surely someone out there has an idea. Another light fixture, just to give you an idea of the house. These are in good shape:

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/16/12 8:14 p.m.

holy crap, I had those exact same fixtures at my last house. :) If I still lived there I'd send you all of them so I had an excuse to get new ones.

The big box stores usually have a section of globes to dig through, that would be the first shot.

Never had to replace mine so I dont have any specific resources.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/12 9:18 p.m.

I apologize for providing this random link in lieu of any useful information. But I can't hear anything that brings to mind the phrase "light globes" without thinking of this animation.

From Homestar Runner, Strongbad Email: Long Pants

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/16/12 9:38 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: The big box stores usually have a section of globes to dig through, that would be the first shot.

This. Slowes used to have a pretty good selection of globes. You're in luck, that 1970s-80s stuff is getting popular again.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
2/16/12 9:47 p.m.

The GRM answer is to learn how to blow glass, right?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/17/12 7:17 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote: The GRM answer is to learn how to blow glass, right?

I find that to be the best answer here.

If I were blowing glass again on a regular basis, AND you lived anywhere near here, I would try to make some for you.

At least for the one outside- you could do some really cool colors and a nice shape that would go right into that fixture. Inside- still can make it quite nice.

While it will cost a lot more than the stuff you might find in stores, a glass blower will be able to make something that's a whole lot more interesting. I've got two of my pieces as part of lights in my house. Very cool.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
2/17/12 7:41 a.m.

Needs mor disco ball.

Hey, if you're going retro, go all the way!

Is there a lighting store locally that's been around forever? They might have old stock tucked away somewhere.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 7:45 a.m.

Any similar HUD foreclosures in the neighborhood? Those things usually dont even require a screwdriver to remove.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
2/17/12 8:05 a.m.

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity's ReStore near by? They have used building supplies.

http://www.habitat.org/restores/

S2
S2 New Reader
2/17/12 9:37 a.m.

Ex J-man- The best hope of finding an exact match is at one of the local CAE lighting stores. 2nd best option is to take your globe so you know the size with you to Slowes or sim and buy two new ones that match and toss your old one. Lights vary so much that it is hard to find non-generic parts even if you know the manufacturer.

Congrats on the new digs! :)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 10:23 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote: The GRM answer is to learn how to blow glass, right?

Hi MG Bryan, my name is "Glass."

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 10:33 a.m.

Congrats on the new crib!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
2/17/12 10:41 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Any similar HUD foreclosures in the neighborhood? Those things usually dont even require a screwdriver to remove.

This, but perhaps wiht less black-hat intention. Maybe.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/17/12 9:10 p.m.

Couple pics of the newsed crib. Straight out of the '70's, I have always liked the 'contemporary' style. That's vinyl siding, hooray for no painting!

This is the room that's getting ceramic tile (subject of another thread).

It's 3br/2bath, ~1800 sq ft, eat in kitchen, 24x24 garage with another BR upstairs and a full bath downstairs. So it's actually a 4br/3ba. There's a screened breezeway between the house and the garage, it works out to probably 600 square feet of screened porch.

The 'hood is REAL nice; this was the ONLY foreclosure and it's in the #1 school district in this state. I sort of fell into it and I am glad I did. Killer deal, too. My real estate agent says in today's market it should go for ~$140k and I paid WAY WAY less than that.

It needs some lovin', for instance I had to fix the roof over the master bath today, one vent was leaking and I had to cut out/replace a 4x3 piece of sheathing (fun fun), I have to replace the HVAC and there is wood damage under the master bath, needs paint etc. But my older brother is a contractor and I have been known to pick up a hammer/saw/paintbrush etc myself.

I was out at the house yesterday and 3 people stopped by, asking when I plan to sell it. Dayumn. I had to sign an affidavit saying I would live there for at least 2 years so I can't 'flip' it unless I cough up a WAD at closing, that won't happen, I plan to live there at least until the Curmudgeonling graduates high school. It's nice to know there is interest already.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/17/12 9:25 p.m.

If it was built in the '70s there's a good chance they are Progress fixtures, who are still around. Try emailing them a picture.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/17/12 9:27 p.m.

Sweet. I especially like the building out back!

EastCoastMojo
2/17/12 10:11 p.m.

That garage looks like a nice size. Great score

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/18/12 7:03 a.m.
S2 wrote: Ex J-man- The best hope of finding an exact match is at one of the local CAE lighting stores. 2nd best option is to take your globe so you know the size with you to Slowes or sim and buy two new ones that match and toss your old one. Lights vary so much that it is hard to find non-generic parts even if you know the manufacturer. Congrats on the new digs! :)

Dude, where ya been? Been a while. I'll catch up with you soon.

S2
S2 New Reader
2/18/12 9:24 a.m.

I love it! That is a cool place and it sounds like a great layout. 8) I'm up in CAE every month for a weekend. I'll drop you a line and we can catch up.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
2/18/12 9:32 a.m.

Is everyone on GRM getting new-to-them houses or is it just my imagination?

Jay
Jay SuperDork
2/18/12 10:24 a.m.

WHUT. You got that for less than $140 k? How big is the lot?

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
2/18/12 10:35 a.m.

There are some stores that specialize in lighting fixtures. There is one locally.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/18/12 7:24 p.m.

Lot is 17,500 sq ft. which is not overly big, that's why the garage is sorta 'behind' the house. And I paid a WHOLE LOT less than $140k. Let's just say my equity situation will be excellent, even with the repairs needed.

There's a few local lighting stores, I'm going to hit them when I get a few minutes. I can easily go with round glass globes but dammit I like those sorta cylindrical ones. Makes me think of The Mod Squad'.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
2/18/12 8:33 p.m.

Seriously? I live in the wrong part of the world. My skinny little victorian, no property, no garage cost way more than that. Great place, congrats, love the style, deeply envious of the garage.

EastCoastMojo
2/18/12 8:56 p.m.

Move on down here Lesley

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0AfReGX4sJw4lyz06pNvkMp9TEoq1YwGoxsRH11OqiBZmT726c0Rye7C4MNTRJMt