1 2
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/6/22 5:01 p.m.

Mrs. Snowdoggie took me to Tiffany and Co. in Northpark Mall here in Dallas last weekend.

Ask me about sticker shock. And no, I didn't buy anything.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/22 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

One of my Axioms "gambling, jewelry, & charity are the three cases where if you spent a responsible amount of money, you didn't do it right."

As a result, I keep a safe distance from gambling & jewelry.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/6/22 5:23 p.m.

Wife unit used to work in a jewelry store. Some tips the owner gave me:

Look for estate jewelry. Prices are good, stones are generally better quality and the settings can be too.

No "Lab grown" "engineered" etc diamonds.

No "color corrected" "Clarity enhanced" etc diamonds. They've drilled out the imperfections in poor quality stones and filled them with resin.

"Solid Gold" stampings in the USA are permitted on gold plated jewelry because it's technically solid gold plating. We don't have a silly rule like that in Canada so if it's sold as "solid gold" here, it's the real deal.

No watches that use batteries.

Katie Wilson
Katie Wilson Advertising Coordinator
12/7/22 3:24 p.m.

My husband has bought me several very nice pieces off of Etsy, there are lots of smaller jewelers with stores on there. You can usually get more unique pieces than the standard prong-set birthstone necklace with a diamond chip in the bail. 

Take a look, and make sure to read reviews. 

Links to some shops I like: 

Adita Gold

Ferko's

IKE

Envero Jewelry

And I don't have anything from these guys, but I do follow these cool vintage shops. 

Kensington Antiques

Vintage Prairie Gems

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/15/22 3:27 p.m.

Find yourself a nice pawn shop

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rzUmo0eRs78ALLNTSg6rDOk7UhxPFUHeA2whDhljtWiWZHxEcUekfnZS6ScwkFtG