1 2
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/22 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I'll have to admit after several mentions of LL Bean, I had to google that E36 M3 lol. 

Britt Bits does sound interesting though! 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/22 11:21 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
preach (dudeist priest) said:
11GTCS said:

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

We’re hoping to meet up for a beer at some point.

We shall and anyone else posting in this thread.

I'm in, if it's an open invite!  I can even speak the lingo, I'm a multiaxis guy who is currently a contract programmer for CNCs :) 

We should plan a Kanc (Kangamangus Highway) run sometime and have lunch at Woodstock Brewery.

Especially if it is when Yupididit is up here. As an aside I will be down in DC for my grandmother's 90th 5-7 August.

preach (dudeist priest)
7/13/22 11:22 a.m.
golfduke said:
11GTCS said:

Thread Jack!  688i in the background.  (Real LA boats had fair water planes not bow planes BTW. laugh)  

For those not in on the inside joke a much younger version of 11GTCS used to work frequently with the outside machinists at Electric Boat in Groton CT.  Preach is a supervisor for the outside machinists at PSNY in Kittery Maine.  We’re hoping to meet up for a beer at some point.

Former programmer who used to do contract work for PSNY here, I'm in! 

See above!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/22 11:30 a.m.

Normally, I would love to hang out with GRM folks, but I would have to pass on this opportunity. The is just a little bae-cation for the wife and I. Also, car things interest her 0 lol. We'll be there 11-15 Aug. 

Now, if yall have any cool car events etc going on during the weekends I'd consider a solo trip at another time. I would say holler at me if any of you visit DC but I am usually not free except for Sundays lol. Holler anyway. 

preach (dudeist priest)
7/13/22 1:14 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Look up the Kanc. It follows the Swift river then the pass then follows the Merrimac and is a beautiful drive. 

More a scenic drive with a great meal.

Kanc

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/13/22 1:51 p.m.

+1 for the Kanc drive and Woodstock Brewery.  I did the former a couple of times with the MINI groups. Been to the latter a couple of times on the way back to Portsmouth from mtn biking at Kingdom Trails.  The food there is generally pretty good for bar-fare. Pig's Ear is a good brown ale.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/13/22 10:32 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:
11GTCS said:

We’re hoping to meet up for a beer at some point.

We shall and anyone else posting in this thread.

I'm in, if it's an open invite!  I can even speak the lingo, I'm a multiaxis guy who is currently a contract programmer for CNCs :) 

We should plan a Kanc (Kangamangus Highway) run sometime and have lunch at Woodstock Brewery.

Especially if it is when Yupididit is up here. As an aside I will be down in DC for my grandmother's 90th 5-7 August.

I'm in!

I'll also be up at Club on August 13th with Masstuning Trackfest.  If you're up for it, stop by and at least go for a ride on the track if you haven't been.  It's awesome!

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
7/14/22 1:47 a.m.

Do the Kanc and all the falls from east to west, up river, try for a weekday.  The Weirs (Weirs Beach) was fun for my wife and I a popular attraction with boat tours and a train that goes around the lake

Go to York Cliffs in Maine and do the Scenic walk over the crashing waves with things like lighthouses, and old forts on the coast that still have a few cannon.  Acadia Natl Park is the biz too.

Lobster rolls are MUCH better to us hot with butter, which we were told is "ConnecticutStyle", not the cold mayo thing.

Drive a comfortable car that's easy to park

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
7/14/22 9:08 a.m.

Ahh, the Kancamagus Highway, AKA the Kanc. Last time I was up that way was with a New England Motorsport Forum meet, which was disastrous. That was over a decade ago, but imagine about 200 modded cars going wild on that road. Also, some guy on a sport bike (not part of the group) ran out of talent in the breakdown lane and slammed into a brand new GTI that was pulled over waiting for a friend. It was a mess. I did another meet/cruise with a Mazda club (mostly rotary and Mazdaspeed stuff) that was much better and well behaved. 

The road itself is fantastic to drive, and there's all sorts of scenic places to stop for a moment and take in the views. 

And someone mentioned Weirs Beach? One of my favorite places on the planet is right there: Funspot. They house the American Classic Arcade Museum, which has hundreds of classic arcade and pinball machines, and I try to make it up there when I can. 

preach (dudeist priest)
7/14/22 12:07 p.m.

NE Motorsports run. I try to run with them 2x a year for their Make-A-Wish effort. I have seen people pulled over and fined for 130mph. Idiots.

The Kanc is really not a great driving road. It has it's fun points but there are so many better roads I'd like to drive for the technical part of it. I wish the state would close 1A down for closed course high speed runs oncce a year.

Funspot. You can only set an arcade record there. I am still saving quarters to go there one day. I will straight berkeley up 1941.

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/14/22 4:47 p.m.

We've got a cottage in York, ME, so I'm partial to the southern Maine coast. York has multiple options at the beach for hotels. The newly renovated York Beach Surf Club, or Stone's Throw would be my recommendations. There's also the ViewPoint Hotel if you're more into "bold ocean views" rather than staying at the beach - it's right next to the Nubble lighthouse.

If you and your wife like beer, there are lots of good options for locally-made beer in the area as well (along with one distillery).

Outside of York, we've been spending more time in Portland rather than Portsmouth recently. Portland has a great food scene (as others have mentioned), cool islands in Casco Bay to explore and good Minor League baseball (go Sea Dogs!). We rented an Air B&B house in one of the neighborhoods last year which served as a great home base.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
7/14/22 5:59 p.m.

Sooo Tim and I just spent 4 days and nights on the historic schooner J&E Riggin. Nearly 100-year-old ship that sails out of Rockland, ME. Like camping at sea--bring your sleeping bag because those bunks are damp, and baby wipes/dry shampoo because sailors rarely shower, ar. But the scenery, the ship under sail, the meals off that 1920 wood stove, and the lamplit deck at night when we were at anchor.... and that lobstah bake on the deserted beach... oh, yeah. 

Margie

preach (dudeist priest)
7/14/22 6:30 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Sooo Tim and I just spent 4 days and nights on the historic schooner J&E Riggin. Nearly 100-year-old ship that sails out of Rockland, ME. Like camping at sea--bring your sleeping bag because those bunks are damp, and baby wipes/dry shampoo because sailors rarely shower, ar. But the scenery, the ship under sail, the meals off that 1920 wood stove, and the lamplit deck at night when we were at anchor.... and that lobstah bake on the deserted beach... oh, yeah. 

Margie

I sailed from MA to Nova Scotia in a 137' schooner Te Vega as we followed a whale pod. I went to sleep almost every night to whale song. Spent 5 weeks on it. I was heading into 8th grade so however old that is.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MnNKuCuGUMhteZI496otNxL479i6LMohbEbObvH1151ODzmwnai0IEmCO9YmQiXG