1 2
Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
5/17/22 8:29 p.m.

The dealership that I bought my car from has been calling me constantly to sell them my Stinger back. I paid $43k for it in 2020. Just rolled 12k in miles last weekend. They are offering $47k but.....offer is only good if I buy a new car from them. Uhhh, hell no. The new cars are all selling for MSRP plus a higher market price adjustment. They are still trying to sweeten the pot. Today it was a $10 Target gift card just for coming in to talk to them. LOL, my time is worth much more than a $10 Target gift card. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/17/22 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

I seem to remember that you were looking a new car in 2020 & I suggested you consider a stinger. I hope you're enjoying it.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
5/19/22 8:31 p.m.
M2Pilot said:

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non :

I seem to remember that you were looking a new car in 2020 & I suggested you consider a stinger. I hope you're enjoying it.

I am however the way gas prices are headed right now it will be staying home for awhile. It is a thirsty premium only gas car. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/19/22 8:47 p.m.

I feel like the used market is a little strange right now with gas prices too. Seems like people are hitting the brakes on poor mileage vehicles. I put my suburban up for sale a couple weeks ago and there has not been a lot of interest. I'm asking too much (and willing to drop it) but I think people are looking at a used truck that will get 15mpg and saying nope. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/22 10:26 a.m.

One of the guys at my office traded in a 2018 Tacoma on a 22 Silverado.  He bought the Taco new for 30K, it had something like 30K miles on it and the Chevy dealer gave him 31K for it towards the new truck.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/20/22 10:46 a.m.

I can't watch Scotty's videos. he's full of it, and full of himself. I am curious enough to know what he had to say, just not curious enough to listen to him yell at me in his whisky-and-marlboro-red's voice. 
What did Scotty Toyota have to say?

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
5/20/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Don't buy now, eventually the economy will crash and cars will become cheap. He says it in all his videos now.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/20/22 11:37 a.m.

I'm keeping an eye out for "toy" cars and SUVs right now, hoping that gas prices cause them to get cheaper.  4Runners seem to be immune from any of these effects so far, even if they are only a little more fuel efficient than GMT800 SUVs.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/22 11:54 a.m.

Because of a divorce I had to sell my broken MazdaSpeed Miata at a loss.   I have been longingly looking at used Miata ads and the prices are shocking.  $8000 for a 1991 is one I saw recently.   I am waiting for the prices to go back into the $4000 range.  Which may never happen.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
5/20/22 4:20 p.m.

It really is nuts out there.  I'm glad I got my 2022 Civic Si about 4 weeks ago (4½ month wait).  There are used 2022 base models Civics going for more than what I paid for the Si.  The 37+ mpg is nice too!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/22 7:57 p.m.

Update: There's been a "market correction:"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/07/cars/carvana-stock-drop/index.html

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/22 8:51 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Update: There's been a "market correction:"

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/07/cars/carvana-stock-drop/index.html

Some of that is the used car market dropping, but more of it is Carvana's poor management.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/7/22 8:57 p.m.

Carvana's prices have dropped like a rock in the past few weeks. The GTI I ordered from them was actually cheaper than any dealer I found within a few hundred miles. Not by much, but a lot has changed from the days when Carvana wanted $2000 over market for the privilege of buying from them.

Hopefully they'll deliver it before they go bankrupt.... 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/7/22 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

They still feel higher than Carmax to me.

is the mileage really a $2000 cost?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/7/22 10:19 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to Tom Suddard :

They still feel higher than Carmax to me.

this is my sense of late, as well

it might be car-dependent, though

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
11/7/22 10:53 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

The miles could be a big part of it as it's 150% more miles when you look at it. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/8/22 8:11 a.m.

Wholesale auction prices have declined for a few consecutive months now.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg941-zVsAIftfb?format=jpg&name=900x900

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
11/8/22 8:23 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

So, I did some reading on what the Mannheim Used Vehicle Value Index is, and it gave me a bunch about how it is calculated(categories, averaging based on mileage, eliminating outliers, etc.), except for one thing.  What does the y-axis mean?  Does 200 mean prices are twice as high as they were at 100, or does it scale different?  Is 100 a baseline (it seems to be, based on values in 1995), and is that baseline adjusted for inflation (I'd assume it has to be, based on the graph, but maybe not).  Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a link with more info about that?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sqKvMRjFlgfG1jYon1JzDwu6CwkWoAn1NNpSEcB3iasp5us7fBhHUrKJT3OwJWah