1 ... 374 375 376 377 378 ... 405
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/6/23 4:24 p.m.

I am not sure if this is a custom design (?).  (insert "that's not a rifle, THIS is a rifle" joke)

The sniper who eliminated a Russian from a distance of 3800 meters and broke a world record has been revealed as 58 year old Vyacheslav Kovalsky.  Viacheslav used to be a buisnessman and was a sports shooter.  Today he serves in the SBU's counterintelligence unit. In the photo he is pictured with his "Lord of the Horizon" rifle.

 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/6/23 4:24 p.m.
aircooled said:

This goal seems HIGHLY unlikely at this point.  The Russians have been making very slow progress towards encirclement, at very high costs, but another week?  Very, very unlikely.  Will Ukraine hold in the long run?  Hard to say, but it also seems unlikely Russia will be able to push at their current rate.

The Russian military was ordered to take Avdiivka before Putin’s press conference, which will take place on December 14, — Russian media

Relatives of mobilized soldiers complain that they are being thrown into "meat assaults"

I guess this explains why the casualty count jumped up significantly in the last day, back to the crazy 1000+ numbers.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
12/6/23 4:49 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Define "unlikely." Unlikely as in they won't pull it off, or unlikely as in Putin won't claim success?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/23 6:33 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

From this article it looks like it's a production rifle rather than a one-off:

https://www.forces.net/technology/weapons-and-kit/horizons-lord-secret-behind-longest-claimed-sniper-shot-history

(Is it odd that I find that kind of disappointing? cheeky )

Opti
Opti UltraDork
12/6/23 9:24 p.m.
aircooled said:

I am not sure if this is a custom design (?).  (insert "that's not a rifle, THIS is a rifle" joke)

The sniper who eliminated a Russian from a distance of 3800 meters and broke a world record has been revealed as 58 year old Vyacheslav Kovalsky.  Viacheslav used to be a buisnessman and was a sports shooter.  Today he serves in the SBU's counterintelligence unit. In the photo he is pictured with his "Lord of the Horizon" rifle.

 

If that's what I think it is it's a pretty cool round. They take a 14.5x114 and neck it down to take a .50 caliber bullet. Essentially a fast .50 that stays supersonic to like mid 3000 yards, or farther.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/6/23 10:23 p.m.

That's crazy to me that you could hit someone with that at almost 2.5 miles away.

FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
12/7/23 12:57 a.m.
aircooled said:

The Russian military was ordered to take Avdiivka before Putin’s press conference, which will take place on December 14, — Russian media

Relatives of mobilized soldiers complain that they are being thrown into "meat assaults"

If all it takes is a dictatorial decree, shouldn't Putler just order them to take Kyiv and end this thing?

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
12/7/23 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

4 ounces of steel core jacked bullet moving that fast is just crazy.  

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
12/7/23 9:11 a.m.

certainly helps that drop issue a bit.  One of the long shots in Afghanistan, the shooter reported that he had windage and elevation maxed out and still had to wait to fire until he could just see the target enter a certain position in his scope.  

Opti
Opti UltraDork
12/7/23 9:43 a.m.
84FSP said:

In reply to Opti :

4 ounces of steel core jacked bullet moving that fast is just crazy.  

Im not sure what hes holding in that picture for comparison, but heres a .338 lapua that Chris Kyle used on his long shot versus a .50 BMG

Then here is a .50BMG next to the 14.5 cartridge that the 12.7 is based on.

I think the 14.5 started as an anti tank round. "lets keep that cartridge and stick a "small" bullet in" is wild.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/11/23 2:37 p.m.

On the western front, Poland, Slovakia, and now Hungary are involved in a trucker strike that has the major crossings for those countries blocked.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungarian-truckers-protest-ukraine-border-crossing-monday-2023-12-10/

 

Reports on what's being allowed through by the striking truckers seems to vary by country.  Hungary appears to be a total blockade, Slovakia claims to be allowing food, live animals, humanitarian aid, and military through, but I can't get a bead on Poland.  Reason is, I heard there was a deal that was struck, but then I guess it wasn't?  Hard to get a visual on that one.

But in typical Ukrainian pluck:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-use-trains-move-blocked-lorries-across-polish-border-2023-12-07/

 

Train go "CHOO CHOO!" laugh

 

 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/23 2:44 p.m.

I'm surprised to see the world record sniper's face.  seems like they'd want to remain in the shadows, lest they, you know, die of unnatural causes.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
12/11/23 3:18 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm surprised to see the world record sniper's face.  seems like they'd want to remain in the shadows, lest they, you know, die of unnatural causes.

I think I'd consider war an unnatural cause of death.  With that said, you think the Russians are going to dare get that close to that guy?  He can hit them from 2 miles away!  

stroker
stroker PowerDork
12/11/23 3:19 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm surprised to see the world record sniper's face.  seems like they'd want to remain in the shadows, lest they, you know, die of unnatural causes.

I doubt he expects to survive the war.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/11/23 5:42 p.m.

There is a growing shortage of gunpowder in the world

Really?  I think that is being made up.  Could not happen.  (sarcasm)

Just because two countries (Whoops, now three countries and a group) are shooting at each other faster than it can be made.  Why would there be a shortage?  Why didn't anyone know this was going to happen?  (more sarcasm)

*sigh*

And in other news:

The Russians complain about the quality of artillery shells from the DPRK  (North Korea)

Why am I not surprised?

 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/11/23 6:07 p.m.
Noddaz said:

There is a growing shortage of gunpowder in the world

Really?  I think that is being made up.  Could not happen.  (sarcasm)

Just because two countries (Whoops, now three countries and a group) are shooting at each other faster than it can be made.  Why would there be a shortage?  Why didn't anyone know this was going to happen?  (more sarcasm)

*sigh*

And in other news:

The Russians complain about the quality of artillery shells from the DPRK  (North Korea)

Why am I not surprised?

 

Meanwhile the Chinese are quietly stockpiling Ammo for when the idiots shoot all of theirs.     

I wonder if anyone but them really understands Sun Tzu.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/12/23 1:08 p.m.

The Russian appear to be stepping up their attacks on infrastructure in their attempts to freeze out the Ukrainians again.  Ukrainian air defenses are of course far more robust now.  The Russians are likely to focus more on drone attacks.

No real change at Avdiivka.  They have two more days to capture it...

The Russians attempted to counter attack the Ukrainian bridge head across the Dnipro from Kherson.  The results were rather devastating for the Russians.  Again... march down a road in a column, get spotted by drones, get obliterated by drones and artillery.  I guess eventually, they might have success with that?  Not likely, but they keep trying.  Some results:

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/23 1:12 p.m.

Do the Ukrainians have any steel mills still running?  It seems there is lots of scrap to haul if you can get to it without being killed.

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
12/12/23 9:20 p.m.

I am curious if this conflict will inform watching militaries on the value of drones. I am not for or against, just curious if, for instance if there is conflict between any groups with effective aircraft defense systems will it just be a drone fest? Will taking land only occur based on capacity to move the air defense and drone coverage over infantry? Or will anti drone coverage become the next mass deployed technology?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/23 11:09 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Falconry is the answer for the slow moving ones. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/23 11:27 p.m.
Advan046 said:

I am curious if this conflict will inform watching militaries on the value of drones. I am not for or against, just curious if, for instance if there is conflict between any groups with effective aircraft defense systems will it just be a drone fest? Will taking land only occur based on capacity to move the air defense and drone coverage over infantry? Or will anti drone coverage become the next mass deployed technology?

There seems to be a lot of interest in laser-based anti-drone weapons.

https://www.laserfocusworld.com/lasers-sources/article/14296218/on-the-go-high-energy-laser-weapon-system-counters-drone-threats

Raytheon seems to be a bit confused though -- "technicals" are supposed to built on Toyota pickups, not Chevies!

 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
12/13/23 7:19 a.m.
Advan046 said:

I am curious if this conflict will inform watching militaries on the value of drones. I am not for or against, just curious if, for instance if there is conflict between any groups with effective aircraft defense systems will it just be a drone fest? Will taking land only occur based on capacity to move the air defense and drone coverage over infantry? Or will anti drone coverage become the next mass deployed technology?

BIL is in the 82nd.  Drones are a big talking point right now as they are reviewing the conflicts in Ukraine and Gaza.  

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/23 2:26 p.m.
FJ40Jim
FJ40Jim Reader
12/13/23 2:31 p.m.

At the risk of overstating the obvious, the Russians deserve to be liquidated in the greatest numbers possible.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/13/23 2:46 p.m.

US assessment of Russian looses.  Obviously, Russia rapidly replaces these looses with conscripts and volunteers.  This though, does represent a huge blow to their experienced troops (e.g. the airborn, VDV).  For the concepts, this is pretty inconsequential, since they get a new batch every 6 months anyway.

 

Russia has lost 87% of troops it had prior to start of Ukraine war, according to US intelligence assessment

Russia has lost a staggering 87 percent of the total number of active-duty ground troops it had prior to launching its invasion of Ukraine and two-thirds of its pre-invasion tanks, a source familiar with a declassified US intelligence assessment provided to Congress told CNN.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-has-lost-87-of-troops-it-had-prior-to-start-of-ukraine-war-according-to-us-intelligence-assessment/ar-AA1loMln

1 ... 374 375 376 377 378 ... 405

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w3ucrJC9Zw7D5d5114pvd5h2BuerInsnaD1H7QucGRu0ySM0BXiLIkFjf6V98fFn