dxman92
dxman92 Dork
5/15/21 3:26 p.m.

Our front porch needs a new coat of paint. It was done a few years ago and is starting to look worn. It is red cedar. Looking to keep it red or go with a grey. Looking for a deck paint that isn't crazy expensive and will dry in reasonable amount of time. Any recommendations?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/15/21 3:40 p.m.

I've used Cabot for a couple of decades with good results. It always seems to do well in tests on Consumer Reports and others.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
5/15/21 9:27 p.m.

I used Deckover (sp) a couple times with mixed results.

First time wasn't even on a deck.  I had bought it for a small deck, had it on hand, and used it for a concrete pad that a fireplace  sat on... worked OK.

Second time was the same can for it's intended use, a small covered porch.  Held up there as well with no special prep.

Third and fourth time.  It was applied to a good size uncovered deck that was pressure washed and allowed to dry.  Looked terrible so after a few months went to put on a second coat.  Hit it with the pressure washer to clean it and 90% peeled off!  Again allowed the surface to dry several days and applied it again.  Looked like crap and was peeling in months.  Replaced deck with composite.

Really would not recommend.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/21 10:33 p.m.

Funny you mention Deckover, my wife picked up a brochure for it at HD and said it got great reviews. I went on an independent site (not HomeDepot.com), and the reviews were awful.

https://www.deckstainhelp.com/behr-deckover-review-updated/

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
5/15/21 10:42 p.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

The big surprise was how it performed after the initial success.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
5/15/21 11:32 p.m.

I did 289 feet of fencing and deck with Olympic Elite 

very happy with result 

Curtis suggested it. He knows his stuff 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/pressure-washer-deckbrickfence-paint/162919/page2/

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
5/16/21 8:05 a.m.
triumph7 said:

... Really would not recommend.

I agree, I never had good luck with deck paint. Nowadays I leave it alone, and when I plan on replacing the boards in the future I might consider composite. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/16/21 8:08 a.m.

How about barn paint?

Cheap, red, holds up for years in the sun.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W6ApFG93gAE34iFFPmdpX56ClxNBpq54kgBP9l6WeGXVlzNENZ882oFtIrqINXCE