1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
1/21/23 8:34 p.m.

I'm looking very closely at one of these- I know it's not mechanical, but it's the perfect blend of functional design for all the time I spend in the hills.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/23 3:10 p.m.

UPDATE: This has been claimed. 

A few pages back there was some discussion about Martini RSR straps from Blipshift.

They were no longer listed on the Blipshift sight, so I contacted them. They got back to me and said they were strong sellers at first, but then demand had dropped off.

However, they also told me that they had sourced them from Campionato.com and suggested that I contact them. So I did, and I ordered two of them, one in 20mm and the other in 22mm.

After wearing the 22mm strap for only one day, I decided that it just wasn't a great match for the only 22mm (lug width) watch that I own. In fact, I'm actually going to list that watch on Chrono24 soon anyway.

So...

If anyone here would like a Martini RSR NATO strap in 22mm, drop me a note and you can have it for the bargain price of $Free, and I'll mail it off to you.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/18/23 9:52 p.m.

So, I found this at a local flea market and took a chance on it, based on everything I know.

Got it home, opened it up and checked the numbers.

It's a 1960 Omega Seamaster 14390 with a cal 285 movement.

And it runs well.

Best $200 I've spent in a long time.

Now to find a nice band.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
2/18/23 10:49 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

A few pages back there was some discussion about Martini RSR straps from Blipshift.

They were no longer listed on the Blipshift sight, so I contacted them. They got back to me and said they were strong sellers at first, but then demand had dropped off.

However, they also told me that they had sourced them from Campionato.com and suggested that I contact them. So I did, and I ordered two of them, one in 20mm and the other in 22mm.

After wearing the 22mm strap for only one day, I decided that it just wasn't a great match for the only 22mm (lug width) watch that I own. In fact, I'm actually going to list that watch on Chrono24 soon anyway.

So...

If anyone here would like a Martini RSR NATO strap in 22mm, drop me a note and you can have it for the bargain price of $Free, and I'll mail it off to you.

PM sent Woody.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
2/18/23 10:56 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Received. It's all yours if you can use it. Just pm me with your address and I'll drop it in the mail. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/23 11:51 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Dang that's a good deal!!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/23/23 12:40 p.m.

Put a band on it today. 

I'm pretty happy with it and I love the patina.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
2/23/23 2:03 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I can't believe that you found an Omega Seamaster at a flea market!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/23/23 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I can't either.

The guy had several watches that I liked, I was looking at a Bulova Accutron when I saw this one sitting in a corner.

There are lots of different Seamasters and this is a pretty basic one but I'm still very chuffed about it. I didn't have an Omega in my collection. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
2/24/23 4:26 p.m.

Package received today!   Thanks Woody!  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
2/25/23 6:12 p.m.

Installed today on my titanium Hamilton Khaki Frogman for the Motorsports focused weekend.  Today was Detroit Ducati Owners Club meeting at Roush Museum and tomorrow is Detroit Autorama. 

Thanks again Woody!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/25/23 7:46 p.m.

Looks great!

Gary
Gary UberDork
2/25/23 7:47 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Yes indeed, looks great!

Gary
Gary UberDork
2/25/23 7:51 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Put a band on it today. 

I'm pretty happy with it and I love the patina.

I feel the same. Old cars and old watches look great with a bit of patina. That vintage Seamaster looks terrific with the new band. Congrats!

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/23 9:07 p.m.

I always wanted a scuba diving watch for the last 50 years. Never got it and usually buy Timex $5.00 digital watches I cut the wrist bands off of... Until my family made me take a hand me down flip phone and now this god awful dumb smart phone. 

I once received a Harley Davidson pocket watch from my then employer and Harley dealership owner as a Christmas bonus but my son, the watch fetish guy asked me if he could have it. A few years later, he asked me if he could gift it to his new Father in Law.

I did once win a one in 500 chance North Dakota Centennial belt buckle while picking up beer at a local little town bar late at night 50 years ago. I bought the last lottery that they where desperate to sell off in order to finish the raffle and amazingly won. Immediately after winning, some local drunk offered me 5 times its value. I turned him down not wanting to upset the Karma. I gave it to my other son, long after he was born who has a belt buckle fetish. smiley

Woody (Forum Supportum)
2/27/23 5:43 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

That works well against the silver face!

I had tried it with my blue faced Hamilton Kakai Navy Scuba, and it was just too much blue. 

I'm glad you like it. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/23 9:05 a.m.

I'm really tough on watches for some reason. Probably because I forget to take off the expensive ones when I am hammering something for one of my vehicles. 

So I decided that a $30 Timex was the way to go.   I don't care if it breaks but it seems like they don't break.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
3/28/23 11:44 p.m.

The late British comedian Sean Lock had a bit where he said children are stupid because if you put a cartoon character on a bag of gravel they'll want it. Apparently, that's me with Ultraman junk because I just got the Ultraseven 55th Anniversary Seiko. Other than the caseback and the strap it has no real design cues from the series. I am really digging the silver dial though, feels very late 60s/early 70s.

They did wear Omega Speedmasters in the show but that's way out of my bracket.

Tangentially, I got to reading about fake Moonswatches and they may be better than the real thing. Some have a glass crystal, metal case, and tick at 1/5th a second whereas an actual Moonswatch has an acrylic crystal, bio-ceramic (plastic) case, and tick once every second. I don't support bootleggers but that's pretty funny.

Javelin
4/10/23 10:55 p.m.

I got a G-Shock:

It's a GAB 2100-1A, the "Casioak". I like the digital + analog and went for the solar power because I thought it was a neat feature. It's easily the most "boring" watch I own, but it fills a much needed hole for a tough everyday watch. 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/11/23 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

What's the Bluetooth for? Does it have health tracking functions?

spandak
spandak Dork
4/13/23 12:32 a.m.

Been wearing this for 5ish years. I made it through the original battery which seemed like an accomplishment. Lightweight, keeps great time... I can't find a reason to replace it. 

I did try with a Pepsi Seiko. Dropped it and TLDR its like 10 minutes fast a day. Yikes. If anyone can direct me to a thread about watch maintenance (maybe setting time the trial and error way) I'm interested. I can't find a local shop that knows how to make it run right. 

Javelin
4/13/23 1:35 a.m.

In reply to j_tso :

I thought it was going to, but it doesn't. It uses the Casio app instead of the G-Shock app. You use the Bluetooth to check the battery level, set the time and world time zones, and do some personalization like how long the light stays illuminated.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/23 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I think it's the time setting that's the primary justification for the BT. If you're a world traveler, you turn your phone on after landing and magically your watch is set to the correct time.

I'd love to get a Moonswatch to go with my Speedmaster (hey, it's depreciation-proof!) but annoyingly I don't live within 500 miles of one of the stores that sells them and I refuse to pay an eBay scalper a premium.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/23 12:42 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

I always wanted a scuba diving watch for the last 50 years. Never got it and usually buy Timex $5.00 digital watches I cut the wrist bands off of... 

I've got a couple of "diver" watches, but when I'm actually diving I wear a 35 year old Timex Ironman on a velcro band. I think I got the watch in the 80s, the band was a birthday present in the 90s :) It's been around the block, but it just plain works. That's some real patina!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/13/23 2:10 p.m.

Some more that belonged to my grandfather

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vdFql2qKy17ppZXeMrC4jo648YiGVUSk4ij0uaqP5zGFQEF33KVPA1RFoF7mLh6T