1 2 3
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
10/14/21 12:54 p.m.

Very sad I only saw one "can't outrun the fork" comment.

I get it, we all like new shiny stuff and new hobbies, otherwise we wouldnt be here.

I biked (slowly) 800-1000 miles a year, weightlifting at gym'd 3-4 times a week - 2 full years -  and was still a tank ass 300lber just like you.

Diet and cardio and I was able to go from 320 to 260 in 4 months, and 320 to 240 in 8 months.  Been riding that 240 ever since, but I got a goal for a big bike race in March and its a lot easier to carry 220 lbs up a hill than 240 lbs.  

Best workout accessory you can get to help you meet your goals is a food scale and smaller plates.  Eat whatever you want, just less of it.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/29/22 9:19 p.m.
Vapewell said:

If you are such a big food lover, all you have to do at the end of the day is burn more calories than you eat

Hmm yeah canoeing burns a reasonable amount of calories

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/23 3:01 p.m.

Since this has come back up, I bought one of these. It's a Major Lutie SM07 with a nice weight bench and 230# of plates. So far I love everything about it. The cable system is buttery smooth. I have also ordered a free bar to go with it. 

20230212_165327.jpg

It's getting used by me and my sons 3-4 days a week and my wife 2-3 days a week. It beats going to a gym by a long shot. 

And as stated above, you can't outrun a fork. I've cut my calorie intake by 1000+ per day and am down 13 pounds over the last couple of months. 

Toyman!
1/16/24 10:28 a.m.

Since this was paddled back to the top, I'll update it. 

While this hasn't turned into a close rack yet, it's not getting the amount of use it should. 

It's a pretty good machine and it still does the job well. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/24 3:13 p.m.

It beats going to a gym by a long shot. 

Feel like I'm missing something-is the gym too far away, or?

Toyman!
1/16/24 3:18 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Nope. I just don't like them. Or people. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/17/24 7:51 a.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

If you like to work out, having a home gym is awesome. I can do a short-but-sweet workout in the time it would otherwise take me to drive to and from a gym. I get to pick the music and don't worry about sharing any equipment.

I can workout while doing waiting intensive chores like laundry or cooking.

When motivation or energy level is low, I can still get out to the garage and do *something*.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
1/17/24 8:30 a.m.

I have preferred a home gym for decades.  Just easier and there is space in the house.  Plus my outside exercise is solo stuff so I am just used to it.  Got a stationary bike, small weight set and a nordic track ski machine for under 100 bucks.  An old laptop and TV round out the space.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/24 9:09 a.m.
Toyman01 + Sized and said:

In reply to mfennell :

My current afternoon routine is I come home from work and sit on my back porch with a cigar and a book for a couple of hours, then dinner and talking to the family. That routine will change to come home, change and exercise for an hour or so. Then a smaller dinner and hanging out with the family or out to the shop. 

Even without the addition of exercise, there could be some benefit to having dinner before, rather than after, sitting down with a book for a couple hours.

EDIT:  yes i realize i'm quoting something you posted in October of 2021.

Toyman!
1/17/24 9:27 a.m.

This is a discussion my wife and I have on a regular basis. I would prefer to eat dinner at around 5:00-5:30. She prefers 7:30-8:00. Since she is stay-at-home and cooks 95% of the time we compromise and eat at 7:00-7:30. On occasion I can get her to eat a 6:00 for a few days, but it never lasts. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/17/24 10:55 a.m.
Toyman! said:

This is a discussion my wife and I have on a regular basis. I would prefer to eat dinner at around 5:00-5:30. She prefers 7:30-8:00. Since she is stay-at-home and cooks 95% of the time we compromise and eat at 7:00-7:30. On occasion I can get her to eat a 6:00 for a few days, but it never lasts. 

We both WFH, but the fiance also prefers a late dinner whereas I prefer an earlier dinner. Her ADHD meds mean she usually doesn't even have breakfast or lunch, and only eats with me about 50% of the time still vs reheating it later. 

If I go to bed too soon after eating, I end up with wicked heartburn about 1am.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LTdPChQwVlivhlovd7NUikBv4l6ldB5UO6OLYVL6CzuvzbXkYvHqhc7Pl8URjbem