1 ... 5 6 7
03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
4/30/21 11:08 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Just me being dense. I developed a totally different slang than most on here, growing up a bit different than most. 
Prolly wouldn't have ever moved past muscle cars and hot rods back in the very early 80's, except worked partnered me up with a certified Alfa nut that had done some SCCA racing through the years. We are still friends, and scary to realize we have been swapping stories for 40 years now!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
5/6/21 1:10 a.m.

Finally got my 45' truck box home today.
No wheels under it so a real adventure to move.
Once I've completed a ramp it will be temporary enclosed vehicle storage until both tents are finished. 

The next bit of joy will be getting it properly situated in the morning.

Dirt for the second storage tent finally got spread too, so now I may bring home the MGB's and Sprites I bought a while back.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/6/21 1:27 a.m.

Good to here progress.

"how do ya eat an elephant?"

"one bite at a time!"

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/21 2:56 p.m.

Okay, I'll bite. I want to hear how to move a 45' box truck with no wheels.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
5/7/21 6:23 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Okay, I'll bite. I want to hear how to move a 45' box truck with no wheels.

First trick is to only move it a couple of miles down a rural road, at dusk, in a high wind.

Using an antique Clark 6K forklift get one end into the air and set it on two empty fifty-five gallon barrels. Back a goose-neck trailer as far under as it will go, or less than 50%. Use the antique Clark to lift the other end, chain the mast to the box so that it will not slip off the forks. Be certain to do all of this in the loosest sandy soil possible.

Then hook a 4x4 Ford PU to the front of the derelict diesel flat-bed that is pulling the trailer, push with the old Clark. Once you finally get free of the sand-trap and out on to the road move the 4x4 out of the way. Let the nearly dead diesel pull the box and Clark down the road.

Once home unloading is pretty simple, lower the forklift end to the ground, hook up a 1977 Land-Rover 101 Forward control as an anchor point and pull the trailer out. If it were no more than twenty times more difficult than this sounds it would have been done in a couple of hours instead of two days. Need to add, be sure do this in conjunction with a couple of hammer mechanics who will not take suggestions to ensure maximum effort and greatest risk!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
5/7/21 6:39 p.m.

Two steps forward and a step back?

Traded my very old Clark 6K lift truck and a '91 Buick Century non-runner I despised for a much newer but still thirty year old Caterpillar RC60 diesel powered unit. The Cat runs but does not currently move, needs new tire$, lights, features the usual lack of care lavished on heavy equipment by "Special" people.

Already ordered two tires for the steering end, and the missing key for the steer/tow function switch. Hopefully it will all be here and installed by next weekend. I may have to tow it home. Anxious to get it home before the guy I traded with destroys the Clark and tries to renege on the deal. No way I want that Buick back!

Have to figure out the issues ASAP as I am now without a working forklift to complete the buildings. In theory it's all electrics.

Why trade running for not? The Clark was worth about $4k tops, the Cat will be worth around $12K - $14K once I sort it out. The Cat should also work much better on my too soft soil. Value is pretty irrelevant since it will be years before I will be "Done" with using it.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/7/21 9:06 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Remember, pictures, or it didn't happen! Nice score on that Cat. You'll be happy when ya ger it sorted.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
5/7/21 9:16 p.m.

Pics woulds be self incriminating! Almost felt like a dumb-**** teenager with this stunt.

Way too old and experienced for this, have the scars.

Pics once I get some more actual progress. At the moment the challenge is getting the Cat to move under it's own power.  No luck locating any manuals to identify the mystery three wire plug dangling near the diff.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/7/21 11:10 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

Pics woulds be self incriminating! Almost felt like a dumb-**** teenager with this stunt.

Way too old and experienced for this, have the scars.

Pics once I get some more actual progress. At the moment the challenge is getting the Cat to move under it's own power.  No luck locating any manuals to identify the mystery three wire plug dangling near the diff.

yes Been there!

Actually, I was just referring to the Cat! But after I saw what I wrote, I knew I'd love pictures of the move, as well. But I agree - we'll protect the innocent, and the not so innocent as well!

On the plug, call Dave at 17 Machine in Hayes in VA. If its a model he is familiar with, and I imagine it is, he can tell ya an alful lot about it sight unseen. Hes a whizz! Opinionated as all get out, but he's usually right, so its worth it!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
5/16/21 9:15 p.m.

Okay, back in the game. Building builds got interrupted when I took a gamble and traded away my running forklift for a newer and bigger "Ran when parked" CAT RC60.

Actually the same lift capacity but diesel with much fatter tires so more capable on the sand/clay we have here, also lifts higher. Took several days to figure out why it would run but not drive. Spent a couple hours pressure washing away thirty years of old grease and dirt.

It's too heavy to drive on my new concrete but will be about ideal for assembling the second building. smiley

I've bought the 2"x6" pressure treated base-boards and assembled the hoops. So in a couple of days the real assembly may begin.

Once that is done I think I will sell this bigger than I need forklift and get another small one. The profit should get me back on track to complete a car build. Building cars was the point of putting up the buildings!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/31/21 7:34 a.m.

What's new with this shop build?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/21 8:02 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

You sure that forklift is too heavy?

I'm working on a project right now. It has a 4" thick 3000lb slab. (That's a typical residential spec, although this is a 37,000 SF commercial building).  After 5 days we did compression samples on 6 different samples- they all tested higher than 80%. 

We've been driving extended reach all terrain forklifts on it ever since that weigh 27,000 lbs. No issues. 

(27,000 / 4 wheels= 6750 lbs per wheel. But each  wheel has a footprint covering nearly 10 SF, so it's only about 675 lbs per SF)

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
5/31/21 12:11 p.m.

Finally have one end wall framed and hope to get the other done today. Do an inspection for sharp spots and loose cables, then I should finally be ready for fabric to go on.

Sold the big forklift and am getting the smaller one back again.

With funds in hand I will be renting a trailer mounted post-hole digger to put in the anchors for the second building. Second gets serious in two weeks, I booked time with some competent help.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/31/21 1:43 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said: 

(27,000 / 4 wheels= 6750 lbs per wheel. But each  wheel has a footprint covering nearly 10 SF, so it's only about 675 lbs per SF)

I didn't get enough sleep today, so my mind is still foggy, but I can't get it wrapped around  the 10 sf footprint...

Despite that, I know the slab would have supported his big fork lift no problem. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/31/21 4:52 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Big tires:

I may be exaggerating a little, but those tires are nearly 18" across and have about 30" planted on the ground at any one time. 

All-terrain. It's different on a hard tire. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/31/21 4:55 p.m.

I did do the math wrong. It's more like 4 SF. 

That's 1687 lbs per SF. Still way under the floor's capacity.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
5/31/21 5:15 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to RichardSIA :

Oh, and I have arthritis in my neck and shoulders too. 

A decent SDS hammer drill cuts it like butter. I don't lean on my drill AT ALL. The weight of the drill is sufficient to drill the hole. 

I'm not the expert you are- but you have to let the bit "move" in and out of the hole longitudinally. I was the "push as hard as you can" guy until I relaxed a little and just let the thing do it's thing. I set it to about half of its longitudinal travel and it just flat works. I was using the harbor freight SDS drill too - I imagine that a branded tool with a decent bit would make that work just painless. 

so- to be clear- this is to say that SVRex is totally correct in my limited experience. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/31/21 7:44 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Oh, yea. Very familiar with the equipment, and was agreeing that its not too much for the slab. I def. was not diqsgreeing. The 10 sf seemed off, was all. Honestly, 4 would have seemed high off the top of my head, but the math works! I'd believe ya, if you said 10 was right, but just didn't seem right. No worries. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/21 6:15 a.m.

How are the buildings coming along?

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
6/26/21 9:07 a.m.

Frustrating! The structure for the first is complete so only need to put the cover on then the roll-up door.

But cannot find any help to do that and the wind seems to never let up. Had a set date to get it done but the guy "Threw out" his hip so no climbing ladders.

Been trying to get a price on having the second assembled but cannot get an actual answer. Now past the solstice so days begin to get shorter again. Also now the hottest time of year, over 100 most of next week.

Weather is not too bad if I could just out of the direct sun and wind. Very tired of having to hide from the heat as that does not let me accomplish much of anything.

Too many $$$$ spent to still be working outside, I don't know what happened to the American work ethic but it seems to have gone away. 

The notion of having to bring in a crew from another state is just ridiculous.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/1/21 9:21 p.m.

The fun went out of this build when it began being endlessly delayed.
Not at all happy to see so much of my equipment sitting exposed to the weather.
Today one end wall was finally assembled.
The rest is supposed to be completed tomorrow.
Not sure that will include the 12'x12' roll-up.

Would probably have gotten more done if the crew has arrived on time, 5:00 AM.
They got here at 7:15.
By 1:00 it was "Too hot" to continue working.

Rest of this should go faster since they now have some practice.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/2/21 4:27 p.m.

Thar she blows! It's the White Whale!
Nearly complete at last.
Still need to finish up the doors, trimming some corner fabric, and determining how I want to handle the lower edge of the main fabric.
Thinking I may attach it to some PVC and roll it up for ventilation in summer.
Pics tomorrow, right now I need to get the new tires mounted on my Morris Minor before the world shuts down for the weekend.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
7/19/21 9:07 p.m.

Pics at last.
Still a lot of organizing and clean up to do.
For my climate the small swamp cooler is a necessity.
Roll-up door is supposed to go on tomorrow.
Once the door is on I should not need to weigh down the side skirt.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/21 5:23 p.m.

That looks terrific. Walls are upright enough to not lose much space against them.. and daylight illumination. Can you get a sunburn inside?

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
7/20/21 5:32 p.m.

No sunburn possible, but until I get the door on so that the swamp cooler becomes effective I might be able to bake a cake.

Unless the wind comes from the South, then I have to struggle to keep the skirts down.
Door was supposed to happen today but did not.
Starting a new job in the morning so have to hope the door gets installed on Saturday.

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nBJxNcvNDPlPEF46jJ0jLLSsZdTFDEMxuVwXJBEywRWYEzHBuaY5FR5gGNUMdzCT