1 2 3 4
ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
12/26/13 12:57 p.m.

Background: I was an Army Combat Engineer Officer, I did about 26 months total in Iraq, all in and around Baghdad. I led a platoon in a handful of firefights during my first tour. I've qualified on: M16, M4, M9 (9mm Beretta handgun), M249 SAW, M240B, M2 .50 Cal, Mk19, M500 (SI shotgun, I think it's a Mossberg?), AT4 (anti-tank rocket, just the training round unfortunately ), I also did some kind of enemy weapons familiarization thing where I got to shoot a few rounds through an AK-47, a bunch of demolitions, etc. I have personally owned a Glock 19 and an old bolt-action .22LR.

I'm curious where you all get information to develop opinions on self-defense. Is there a GRM Board for guns out there somewhere? I ask because some of the things people have said about guns on this board are absolutely dead-on (like I wonder if the poster is in law enforcement, or some sort of security expert), and others are the gun equivalent of recommending a 2003 VW Jetta Turbo as a cheap reliable commuter to someone with no mechanical skills, so clearly there are good and bad sources out there.

I'm not really looking for anything in particular (well, once money is a little less tight I want to get a nice Remington 700, but that's a different thread ), just a place to skim from time to time.

EDIT: I forgot the H&K G36, I qualified on that at a Luftwaffe base. What a great rifle, how could I forget!

DanielCut
DanielCut New Reader
12/26/13 1:00 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix: Check out glocktalk.com Lots of good info on there and not just about glocks.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/26/13 1:03 p.m.

My info comes from "hands on" and a local gun board. I've shot a lot of different stuff, had my hands on hundreds of guns and just prefer something over another due to personal experience. That's why when someone asks what gun to buy, my first (and only) response is "Get your hands on them all, see what fits your personal preference then shoot it to get used to it".

Remember that gun laws not only vary from state to state, but in some cases city/county within the state so it really is a Buyer Beware when it comes to internet information.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
12/26/13 1:11 p.m.

Thanks DanielCut.

In reply to Bobzilla: I hear you, I for one hate the issue M9 Beretta, but love to shoot the Glock, lots of people feel the opposite way. Once you get away from the chintzy low-end stuff I do think it's all about personal preference. But, I don't know much about anything that isn't in the NATO inventory. I'm just looking for general discussion I guess.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/26/13 1:17 p.m.

I say bring it up here. The collective here has a lot of good information. The crap will get called out for what it is.

What do you want to know?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/26/13 1:24 p.m.

I've spent some time browsing the AR15 dot com forum. It generally felt like a good forum.

I got a gift certificate for the new local indoor range for xmas. I'll have to go check it out soon. My dad said they have selection of guns to rent while you're there, too. And a bar to watch the range from above after you've shot.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
12/26/13 1:34 p.m.

You're close enough to Indiana to be on our local boards. Be forewarned though, don't start any OC/CC debates.....and I quit going on them due to the high s/n ratio.

If you ever want to shoot a good Remmy 700 in a man's caliber(30-06), you're always welcome to shoot the one I have. Stipulation is must be inside of Indiana due to Ohio's little known draconian laws that contradict themselves.

I am also envious of you getting to play with the HKg36.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/26/13 2:10 p.m.

From the time that I was 10 years old until I was in my early twenties I read damn near every book in the Flint Public Library's gun section. Elmer Keith, Julian Hatcher, Townsend Whelan and Peter Kokalis are all very informative. My two favorites are Hell, I Was There , authored by Keith and Hatcher's Notebook, authored by Hatcher they are excellent books.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
12/26/13 2:24 p.m.

You need a philosphy of use. Ask yourself how important it is to CC, how sensitive you are to ammo price, whether it will be a plinker or home defense/SHTF, whether you have a stong need for accuracy, etc. The answers will point you in certain directions. After that, look for info on reliability and build quality. As you narrow your choices, try all of them on for fit.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
12/26/13 2:25 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

You're from Flint? What year did you graduate? I went to C-A Schools (Dillon then Randels Elems.) from like '87-'94 or so. I was checking out all the car books at the library at the time. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yamaha: The G36 is one of the finest machines of any kind I've ever used, it's that simple. I never quite looked at my M4 the same after that... I might just take you up on that offer, one of the nice/confusing things about the 700 is that it has been chambered in every caliber known to man. .30-06 seems to be the classic though. I have no idea what the Army version is chambered in, by the time my unit got them I was stuck on staff and didn't get to go qualify on one.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/26/13 2:29 p.m.

Likely .308 (7.62x51).

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
12/26/13 2:29 p.m.

To clarify: I'm not looking for a gun, I'm looking for a general source of gun-related reading. GRM (the board or the magazine) for guns.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/26/13 2:31 p.m.

I read TTAG....used to read it more, but Robert is getting a little more political than I'd like.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/26/13 2:39 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

I am a 1986 graduate of Flint Central High School, most likely I ran with an older crowd than you. I grew up next door to cdowd that frequents this forum. It is a small world. If you are in Flint the beers are on me.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
12/26/13 2:42 p.m.

Any question you want ask has probably already been asked. Rather than limiting yourself to one forum, search the internet for amuch wider variety of responses to your specific inquiries. It's worth taking note of the most common recurring websites from your particular searches, as you'll likely see a trend form there, but don't limit yourself to those either.

The problem is how can you differentiate a "good" source from a "bad" source. There are probably more people for who their 2003 Jetta 1.8T has been nothing but cheap reliable transportation, than there are people who have had nothing but expenses and trouble with theirs, and those people would be legitimately justified in believing so even if it doesn't coincide with your own beliefs.

So if you believe a .45 is the only handgun caliber worthy of use in self-defense, then you'll probably even consider a recommendation for the extra capacity of a 9mm as a "bad" source. But if you believe a .380 is capable enough in it's smaller form factor, then that same 9mm recommendation may easily be a "good" source. It's all going depend on what resonates with your own personal opinions and experiences...Which are also subject to change over time.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
12/26/13 2:44 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

Ha, crazy, unfortunately I am in school in Columbus, I don't get back up to Flint much since we moved to Ohio in the mid-'90's.

JoeyM: Yeah, I'm not interested in the political side of things. I have a moderate viewpoint on the issue that turns out to be popular with exactly no one.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
12/26/13 2:45 p.m.

In reply to ShadowSix:

There's even a 1942 K98 Mauser sitting next to it in the safe......

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/26/13 2:46 p.m.

I consolidated to .45 not because it is the "only caliber worthy of self defense", but more because A.) I'm a 1911 fanboi and 2.) it's easily found locally. Hell, I still haven't found .38spl in stock yet.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/26/13 3:04 p.m.
yamaha wrote: *Stipulation is must be inside of Indiana due to Ohio's little known draconian laws that contradict themselves.

not trying to start anything …. just for my edification … what is there about Ohio laws ?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/26/13 3:21 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
yamaha wrote: *Stipulation is must be inside of Indiana due to Ohio's little known draconian laws that contradict themselves.
not trying to start anything …. just for my edification … what is there about Ohio laws ?

Where do we start? No reciprication with surrounding states for CC. The "Must notify" bullE36 M3 to LEO. That's the first two off the top of my head.

Now, a question for the Hive... Does Sig make a double stack .45 Fullsize? I like Sigs. I like .45. I want both but all I can find are 8-rd single stack Sigs. If I'm going to be limited to 8-rds, I'll stick with the 1911.

Will
Will Dork
12/26/13 3:37 p.m.

I've not seen a double-stack Sig .45, but Glock, HK, Para, Springfield Armory, and more make them. I love my HK USP .45.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/26/13 3:47 p.m.

The HK feels weird to me. It's almost like a cross between a Sig and a Glock in the feel for me. I will say the FNP feels good though. HAve yet to shoot one.

I may just pony up the cash and buy some Chip McCormick 10rd Power+ Mags.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
12/26/13 3:51 p.m.

Well, it depends. If drugs are big in your area, go for a higher caliber gun, it's gonna' take a few 9mm rounds stop someone hopped up on meth if you miss a vital organ. If I lived in say, Detroit, MI, I wouldn't consider anything less than a .45 for self-defense. Even if you don't live in an area that isn't big on drugs, drug addicts are the kind of people who break into houses and may come out of the woodwork, alcohol can also effect this to a lesser extent. On the other hand, the rounds are more expensive for target practice and all things being equal, you are going to get more kickback. If they're legal, you should consider keeping it loaded with mushrooming rounds.

Incidentally, I based this off various accounts from combat in the middle east. Apparently, they had to fire 3 or 4 rounds to stop someone hopped up on Heroin.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/26/13 3:59 p.m.

Personally, I'm only interested in military firearms. My interest lies more with rifles and whatnot, from early times to present. I have trouble thinking of a dozen pistols I'd want, and most of those would be from the 1800's...

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
12/26/13 4:29 p.m.

FAL FTW.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NyKeYWlDXI9HqQKxRWNMWh4515CM6J8AkdVS7gQFQzX4wNI4u8NLBIody9dBQINb