1 2 3
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/5/12 9:30 a.m.

I've only got a two-year sub to GRM (seemed like a good idea at the time) but a 10 year on to CM.

I'm probably going for a 10 year sub at the next renewal as it'll probably work out cheaper than the regular subs with an SCCA discount.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
6/5/12 10:07 a.m.

I 'm not a 10 year, on a year-to-year right now, but I'd consider it. I did think the last couple issues have been the best in a while.

As a side note - how many of you that feel like buying the mag to support the forum would be willing to have a paid-membership forum and no magazine?

No agenda here, I like the mag, but I'm always interested in speculating about how tech is changing media and society.

davidjs
davidjs Reader
6/5/12 10:19 a.m.

I'm also on the two year, as I didn't see the 10 year saving that much if I bought a shirt every two years or so when they wear out.

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
6/5/12 10:23 a.m.

yeah my wife does the 2 years so I get a shirt...

rotard
rotard Dork
6/5/12 10:24 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: I do the two year so I can get a shirt when I renew

I got a shirt with my ten year. The content isn't as interesting to me as it was several years ago, but that could just be because I have a car/motorcycle that helps erode some of the automotive ADD. I purchased the 10 year because I enjoy the community and forum and wanted to help support them.

Since the mag will probably switch to mostly digital/online content before my 10 year subscription expires, hopefully, it will cover that as well.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/5/12 10:55 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: As a side note - how many of you that feel like buying the mag to support the forum would be willing to have a paid-membership forum and no magazine?

I've considered it....depends on the pricing. If the e-version of the magazine was offered with it, that might be very tempting. (especially if the e-version worked better.) I haven't tried cutting and pasting from the e-version, but if I could do that, or print specific pages from it [perhaps these things are already an option] it would work....call me old fashioned, but I like reading the dead-tree version of media, so I'd probably print out something that was worth holding on to.

We could also do like the H.A.M.B. and have auctions or Alliance membership to support the forum financially.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
6/5/12 10:59 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: call me old fashioned, but I like reading the dead-tree version of media, so I'd probably print out something that was worth holding on to.

I'm only 30 and I'm the same way.

If the mag went all online/digital, I doubt I'd renew my sub. I like holding it, the nice printing, color photos...........it would cost a lot to print out at home and then wouldn't have the same feel.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
6/5/12 11:14 a.m.

I would re-up my sub in ten minutes if I could just get PDFs dropped in my inbox eight times a year. The current digital editions aren't doing it for a variety of reasons (have to read them in browser, don't work well with non-standard platforms, can't take them with you when going offline, and the reader is just generally clunky and slow.) Right now I don't subscribe because I just can't have piles of dead tree versions stacking up, and I don't even have a good address to have them sent to.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
6/5/12 11:46 a.m.

I think I have at least a 10 year subscription to both magazines, assuming I come back and visit mom and dad when I'm in college.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
6/5/12 11:48 a.m.

we did a couple years ago... or was it last year? I can't remember. I know the wife asked and I told her "I'm going to get this magazine for many years unless it goes to crap like C&D.... so we might as well sign up for the big one. Is there a 20 year option?"

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/5/12 12:04 p.m.

I have no interest in an online-only magazine version. I don't even read the current online version. Print magazines and online content are two completely different animals. Both have their place, but I would be extremely disappointed if the real paper magazine disappeared.

Not the the staff have mentioned anything about it happening, but you know it's at least been discussed in their 5-year plans.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
6/5/12 12:04 p.m.

I’m a 10-year subscriber. I did so to support the forum, and I buy from advertisers when I am looking to keep my fleet of old junk on the road. I could use more of a “grassroots messing with cars in a cheapskate way” magazine these days. To be honest I’m not that into racing, per se, but working on old junk I do enjoy. At any rate, I knew that when I subscribed- but I like the writing, enjoy the theme in general, and wanted to kick a few bucks towards a company/organization/group doing something that I think is cool.

BARNCA
BARNCA HalfDork
6/5/12 12:20 p.m.

im a ten year subsriber.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
6/5/12 12:23 p.m.

10 year here. Pretty sure it is up in 2015.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
6/5/12 12:57 p.m.

I have a 10 year sub to GRM and I also got a one year sub as door prize at an SCCA banquet. So I'll be getting it for a while.

Conversely, I had a 2 year sub to CM and let it run out because it seemed the sole purpose of that mag was to make me lust after a Triumph TR3 that I'd never be able to maintain (financially or mechanically).

S2
S2 New Reader
6/5/12 1:04 p.m.

10 year subscriber. Signed up at the '06 Rolex and need to get back. One of the few mags I read sequentially, and cover to cover. Well worth the money.

A couple of years ago I realized it shows when your subscription expires on your mailing label with a three digit month and two digit year.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
6/5/12 2:39 p.m.

Original 10 year subscriber. About 7 years ago?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
6/5/12 3:25 p.m.

10 here, about 4 years ago? I always want paper, I do not subscribe to electronic unless it is the only way.

I'd rather a magazine and the forum disappear personally.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/5/12 3:38 p.m.

10 year here, probably 4-5 years ago now. I will always prefer paper.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
6/5/12 4:04 p.m.
Duke wrote: I have no interest in an online-only magazine version. I don't even read the current online version. Print magazines and online content are two completely different animals. Both have their place, but I would be extremely disappointed if the real paper magazine disappeared. Not the the staff have mentioned anything about it happening, but you know it's at least been discussed in their 5-year plans.

Nope...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/5/12 4:39 p.m.
Jay wrote: I would re-up my sub in ten minutes if I could just get PDFs dropped in my inbox eight times a year. The current digital editions aren't doing it for a variety of reasons (have to read them in browser, don't work well with non-standard platforms, can't take them with you when going offline, and the reader is just generally clunky and slow.) Right now I *don't* subscribe because I just *can't* have piles of dead tree versions stacking up, and I don't even have a good address to have them sent to.

I like the PDF idea, that way I could view it on a number of different devices like the kindle. I do like the dead tree version though and I will continue to get it, probably on a two year basis for the shirts. Hell, I would pay to support the forums too, especially if there was a shirt included .

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/5/12 4:48 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: 10 here, about 4 years ago? I always want paper, I do not subscribe to electronic unless it is the only way. I'd rather a magazine and the forum disappear personally.

That's pretty easy to do, just don't visit the forum.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
6/5/12 6:01 p.m.

I think I have 5 years each left on the 10 year program for GRM & CM. Started advertising in both dead tree versions too. So don't forget to read all the ads!

You know you can buy T-shirts without having to subscribe. I usually get a fresh GRM one each year. That becomes the cruise night one, and the others get cataloged for use by the number of embedded grease & oil stains. The black GRM T-shirt is my formal wear.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
6/5/12 6:20 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
HiTempguy wrote: 10 here, about 4 years ago? I always want paper, I do not subscribe to electronic unless it is the only way. I'd rather a magazine and the forum disappear personally.
That's pretty easy to do, just don't visit the forum.

You mistake what I wrote. I like the forum, but if there was a CHOICE between them, magazine everytime. I like the GRM forum for what it is, but as I posted in another thread, with a crackdown on the good stuff (political threads) and people posting really lame yahoo answers threads in the GRM section (grassroots MOTORSPORTS), sometimes it gets a little dull on here.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/5/12 6:46 p.m.

I try to limit my lameo posts to the off topic section.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
35dLWieHAgHJ15Erwt5H5HEPEZ7xphBnkVQc8Yp3nIIqW42lsiIxV9utcWOChOHf