1 ... 3 4 5
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/6/22 4:50 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

I agree and I hope things personally get better. It's a hard time to not be mentally perfect. I've been dealing with plenty of my own demons as well and I wish you the best. And thanks for not giving in to the jerk that hit you.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/6/22 5:37 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge's reply to tuna55 :

This forum used to be a tight-knit group of like-minded folks. It's devolved into the 9th grade lunch room, super cliquey and elitist. 
I could explain why I think that is so, but NOPE.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/22 7:49 p.m.

Dude we've all been there.  At one point in my life  i would have plowed anyone who made a wrong move in my path.  Everyone is entitled to their darkness, hope you can work your way toward the light.  

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
4/6/22 7:55 p.m.

I'm glad it worked out in your favor. I'm surprised, but glad. I figured they'd stick with the 50/50. 
I hope the rest of life's stuff gets better too. 

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/7/22 11:07 a.m.

Well this continued to be a nightmare. Im going to document it here for purposes of saving what a mess this was. 

Dropped the car off at the preferred bodyshop on 4/11, and picked up a rental Corolla. With 4.40$ gas, the corolla was welcomed. Wasn't in a huge hurry, but they called me probably 3 weeks in to tell me the bumper was on backorder so it would be mid may. thats fine.

Get a call on 5/2 (monday) letting me know the bumper came in, but it was the wrong bumper. right bumper will be here end of september. Well thats not going to work, so let me know what else you find. 

Call on 5/5 to check (wednesday) still looking for a bumper. 

Call on 5/6 to check (thursday) still cant find a bumper. okay this is getting dumb. youve had 4 days. ebay has bumpers. multiple websites I found have bumpers. they call me back 10 minutes later saying they bought a bumper on ebay. 

5/12 - called to tell me the bumper is here, and will be going to paint. should be done at the end of the week. 

5/18 (wed)- some other excuse I forgot, will be done on friday. 

5/19 (thurs)- car has been painted, should be finished friday. 

5/23  (monday)- we told you it would be ready friday, as in the 27th. 

5/27 (friday) - hasnt actually been painted yet. will be painted on tuesday, ready for pickup wednesday. 

5/31 - painted, will be ready tomorrow. 

6/1 - will be ready tomorrow. 

6/2  (12pm) we cant find the fog light dongle, were looking. might have to order a new one.

at 6/2 on 2pm, I go up there. zero accountability, zero responsibility for getting it fixed. I wanted a final answer of when my car will be ready. "well we cant give you that", even though youve told me 8 times it will be ready. I was pissed, so I asked to see the car and left. went to the back, the bumper was removed from the car. thats all. went back in because holy crap I was pissed. they didnt want to start until they had everything, and since they were missing a fog light pigtail, they couldnt start on it. 

I left, and called the regional manager.  he was super nice, and had them working that night to get it done. the headlight is wrong, the underbody trey is missing, but its back. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/7/22 11:46 a.m.

Wow!  That shop's performance is impressively unimpressive.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/22 11:48 a.m.

Imagine the non "preferred" body shops

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
6/7/22 12:18 p.m.

Unfortunately, your story is not unique.  That is the state of the body shop industry right now.  Repairs that should take a week are taking 2+ months.  That is NOT a dig at shops at all, generally speaking it's not their fault.  There is a huge shortage of parts, especially OEM (new), used and certified aftermarket.  Shops are having to wait weeks to months to get them.  That creates a backlog in the shop, which then snowballs.  Combine that with labor shortages and you've got a clusterberkeley.  

I can't tell you how many non-total loss cars I'm totaling right now because of this.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/22 12:34 p.m.

I just watched the video.   Sorry but I think the Red Mist was pumping strongly in this case.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/7/22 12:35 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Imagine the non "preferred" body shops

They are "preferred" by the insurance company for reasons that are opaque to the customer.

They may or may not be "preferred" by the customer.  There's no reason to suspect they would be.

dps214
dps214 Dork
6/7/22 12:53 p.m.

So, looking back.....was it worth it?

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
6/7/22 1:23 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

I understood this going in, that's why I was patient in the beginning. Wasn't mad when the wrong bumper was ordered. E36 M3 happens, fix it. When they stopped making an effort is where I lost my patience. 

In reply to dps214 :

No. the stress of this experience, definitely not worth it. I'm glad to have my car fixed, but a junkyard trip would have been a hell of alot easier. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/8/22 8:52 p.m.

Next time just tap on the brake.  

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
6/8/22 9:30 p.m.

I have to say that I really respect the OP for coming back here and (presumably) honestly reporting the way things worked out, especially as it wasn't quite the "rolling traffic justice, sticking it to some E36 M3ty merger" outcome that you hoped for. At the end of it all, you got your car back, the bumper looks better, you gained some wisdom and won't have an at fault accident on your record- so there's that. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
6/9/22 8:52 a.m.

Independent of the road incident that started all this, that body shop should be ashamed of themselves. I can understand everything about how the work went, except (if I read it right) outright lying to the customer. Telling him it was painted when it wasn't. That's where I'd be pissed. I had an engine being replaced under warranty. The long block was on intergallactic back-order. Ok, not happy about that, but it's not the dealerships fault. The delay was delayed. They communicated that to me. No worries. It's called upen and honest communication. That smooths over a LOT of issues in a LOT of situations. 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xI4ZttE9ePn5FpunkbL9fMIxgcLLkqt0ftMHAZDrOoMJzEQ8ElOS5EPVII1baNHM