1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 9:13 a.m.

Any ideas on how to keep your neighbors cats out of your garage?   Our neighbor does not want to be responsible for their cats, and lets them roam all over the place.   They are good at killing birds, which sucks when they target cardinals and blue jays.

But for some reason, one of them wants to keep coming in our garage when we are not looking.  We find out the next day when we hear meowing.  And it's getting cold here in MI- temps in our garage are well below freezing most of the time.

I don't think we have rodents of any type, as we have lots of bird food in bags out there that isn't being touched.

I really don't have any ideas that can dissuade the cat from coming in, and I really don't want to go out and find a frozen cat carcass.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/12/22 9:15 a.m.

Do they sneak in when you move the car in or out?

Because otherwise you have a bigger problem than cats.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/12/22 9:19 a.m.
alfadriver said:  And it's getting cold here in MI- temps in our garage are well below freezing most of the time.

I really don't have any ideas that can dissuade the cat from coming in, and I really don't want to go out and find a frozen cat carcass.  

If that's your only concern I wouldn't worry. Cats can handle those temps

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork

In reply to Duke :

Somewhat- it came in when I went out to fill bird feeders.   We barely drive these days.

If there was a big enough hole for them to get in with everything close, they can get out.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork

Close the door?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/22 9:20 a.m.

If the cat is trying to get in the garage to keep warm, maybe putting out a cat shelter made from a styrofoam cooler might work.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

For how long?  Other than today, the forecast for the next week has highs in the 20's, so it will be at or below freezing in my garage for a week. 

And I really don't want cats in my garage- they E36 M3 and pee, too.  It's not my only concern, but I really don't want them to die out there.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 9:22 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Close the door?

which is to say, not open it.  That's not really a realistic option.  I'm not changing my behavior for a cat.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 9:24 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

If the cat is trying to get in the garage to keep warm, maybe putting out a cat shelter made from a styrofoam cooler might work.

The cat can just go home right next door.  Like across the driveway and be inside a heated home.  They are not coming in for wamth, or it's pretty dumb.  That, and my garage was really cold yesterday when it came in.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/12/22 9:25 a.m.
alfadriver said:

For how long?  Other than today, the forecast for the next week has highs in the 20's, so it will be at or below freezing in my garage for a week. 

And I really don't want cats in my garage- they E36 M3 and pee, too.  It's not my only concern, but I really don't want them to die out there.

I live in the country where people routinely dump cats. You would be shocked at how frequently this happens. I've seen many a cat - with kittens make it through the winter. I've also had barn cats and never, until recently, provided them with any heat. Our temps should be similar to yours.

Try this:

Get a few mouse traps.

Set them and put them upside down several places in the garage where the cat will see them.

Cover them with a towel or sheet.

The cat will set one of those off, be so afraid it'll fly out of there and never come back.

If it does, it'll probably only ever do it once more

Alternatively, get a dog

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/12/22 9:29 a.m.

You can try stuff like this.

Cats are also not big fans of citrus odor, so maybe get a strong air freshener thing that plugs into a spare outlet.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 9:30 a.m.

Interesting idea- I do have mouse traps.  If I hear it after I try to chase it out again, I'll give that a try.

In terms of the frozen cats- there's no food or water out there, too.  If it finds a liquid, it's likely to kill it between the containers of washer fluid and coolant.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

never seemed to find a cat repellant- thanks!  That will come in handy to try to keep the cats from murdering the birds.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/12/22 9:32 a.m.

Install a dog.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/12/22 9:34 a.m.

Specifically, one of these: 

My brother has two GWPs. They see cats as varmints that must be killed. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/12/22 9:42 a.m.

Perhaps the solution lies in making your neighbor's house more appealing to cats than your garage.  Try surreptitiously releasing a number of mice in their house at every opportunity.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/22 9:47 a.m.

ITT: herding cats smiley

It's probably just curious. I have a similar issue with my neighbours cats, I just watch I don't let one in as I enter, and check for them when exiting if I left the doorway unattended. Do you have a loud air compressor? They don't like the noise mine makes, it's a good way to get them to exit

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 9:48 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Sadly, our homes are so close together that we share varmints.  A ground hog that I know lives in their garage has spent a night or two in our garage.  I trapped one and took it many miles away (across a freeway)  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 9:49 a.m.
Run_Away said:

ITT: herding cats smiley

It's probably just curious. I have a similar issue with my neighbours cats, I just watch I don't let one in as I enter, and check for them when exiting if I left the doorway unattended. Do you have a loud air compressor? They don't like the noise mine makes, it's a good way to get them to exit

I'm sure they don't like my oil less air compressor (I can barely stand it).  But it got in when I was filling bird feeders- which is a little quieter.  

wae
wae PowerDork
1/12/22 10:04 a.m.

We had a cat that was left to roam loose around here a while ago.  I lured it into a rubbermaid container with some ham and dropped it off at the local animal shelter.  Problem solved.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
1/12/22 10:07 a.m.

It came into your garage to ask for a ride to get warmed up at a local vet or shelter. If it's microchipped, let them retrieve it from there.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/12/22 10:10 a.m.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/12/22 10:26 a.m.

In reply to wae & Driven5 :

We've decided that's the next step.  I can reuse my groundhog trap.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/22 10:31 a.m.
Driven5 said:

It came into your garage to ask for a ride to get warmed up at a local vet or shelter. If it's microchipped, let them retrieve it from there.

That's the solution. Depending on how the laws are written there, it's often illegal to allow your pet to roam in that manner. This means that a cat or dog that is doing so can be humanely trapped and turned over to a shelter. 

In my case, there were many dozens of cats in the neighborhood when we moved here about ten years ago. I trapped a few for transport to the county shelter for sterilization and rehoming. That was only a small percentage of the total, but almost all of the rest disappeared. I suspect coyotes.  

Edit: I was able to do so because I had an enclosed section of my property where no one could see or hear the process. Also, when I went to the shelter I identified myself as Mr., not doctor.  

If this results in a war with your neighbor, it's not worth it.

I don't know how effective that spray is, I have no personal experience with it. A motivated cat is pretty difficult to discourage. However there are things I know will work. If it's outdoors, the motion activated water sprinklers will do the trick, and work great. However, that's not at all possible in freezing temperatures. 

for training indoors cats to avoid things like jumping on the counters, there are motion activated compressed air cans (brand name in the photo):

...and plastic mats with imbedded wires (Scatmat),

...which would be my suggestion.

Just don't buy anything other than the trademarked original version of the Scatmat, the copies are unreliable. They come in various shapes and sizes. One or two of the long, narrow ones, depending on the width of the door, would be very effective. 

I'd put it down long enough to establish the deterrent effect, and then put it away and replace it with a piece of plastic carpet runner. The cat won't know the difference, and you won't have to worry about running over it with your car.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
1/12/22 10:49 a.m.

Our cat kept sneaking into the garage from the house whenever we went out, prompting fun cat-and-human games while we tried to cajole and shoo him back inside--usually from the furthest reaches of the Edsel's generous underneath. This went on until I had the bright idea to swing the door to the house wide open and then start up the Shelby. Couple stabs of the gas and Luke went shooting back into the house. Now when he sees the door to the garage open, he heads the other way fast.
I would think a leaf blower and open garage door would also do the trick. No need to blow at the cat--the noise should do it.

Margie

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YrIVvtGMoJ99vnLkw9sbCcT4GaUSNnYEurODnWdOGuNoj8UMP51o1ZhewG82PrPc