AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 4:40 p.m.

Electric radiator cooling fans are designed to move a ton of air through a smallish opening, which is exactly what I want for the gable vent in my garage. I scored a decent fan at JY today, so now I need a way to power it. Recommendations for a 110VAC to 12VDC power supply that can reliably push 30A ie 360W without getting hot? Is this something a laptop power supply can handle? Do I need an electronics bench test grade power supply? Help a brother understand. Product recommendations with experience appreciated.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 5:03 p.m.

30a 12v damn man.  Constant on or a duty cycle?

Stampie
8/20/22 5:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 5:17 p.m.

Car battery hooked up to a charger :) I'm assuming we're not looking at 100% duty cycle.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/20/22 5:20 p.m.
Stampie
8/20/22 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I'm proud of you.  I was thinking that but said naw that's too redneck for AC.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/20/22 6:38 p.m.

Man, I miss Radio Shack.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/20/22 6:40 p.m.

For solar, I can see some benefits. For cheap, a 120VAC fan is prolly the easy button. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/22 8:07 p.m.

An auto fan moves WAY, WAY MORE AIR than 99% of 120v fans.  On the flip side, they are not really long lived compared to something meant to be used in a house.  (I had house fans on full time for years without shutting off, an auto fan would probably die in six months)

My mind goes to something like a Craigslisted UPS with bad batteries.  You can buy a new UPS for less than the replacement batteries cost, and they are generally just 12v batteries inside with a charger and inverter built in.  I have bolstered UPSs by paralleling a couple Group 94 batteries in them....

8/20/22 10:09 p.m.

Stampie questioned the redness of my neck. To that I say:

Car battery and charger FTW. As installed:

30A inline fuse on positive, switch on negative. That's OK for 12VDC, isn't it?

also, when your claw hammer is atop your step ladder, and you lift your step ladder above head height, that hammer has a pretty good chance of finding your melon:

I combined swear words in new and exciting ways. Somehow I didn't bleed.

8/20/22 10:20 p.m.

The air exits through fixed louvers that are pretty steeply angled. And there are several gaps for air to recirc into the attic space instead of exiting through the louvers.

Still, the volume and speed of air exiting is pretty impressive, significantly more so than the generic household box fan I used to have up there. I spent way too much time on it, but I like the result so far.

it is loud. I probably won't try to listen to music when the fan is running.

Gzwg
Gzwg New Reader
8/21/22 4:34 a.m.

An old PowerSupply from a Server is the cheap Option for 12V with lots of Amps (40-80 is no Problem depending on the PS). 
They usually need a small external  cable to connect selected Pins for them to power up, but some have to be opened, and that can be dangerous. 
Stacking them to get to 24V is where it gets scary and dangerous.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/21/22 7:16 a.m.

Ive been wanting to do something like this. The car fan idea got me ready to tackle this, then figured hey lets just see what amazon has. Pretty cheap setups. 12" fan setup, no shenanigans, for 69$ not including discounts. 

VENTISOL 12 Inch Shutter Exhaust Fan

https://a.co/d/ePOY09N

i have a digital thermometer sensor in the attic at about 5' up, we have a steep roof so the attic is tall, but i still see temps over 130 degrees pretty regularly. Its a newer roof, ridge vents, soffit vents.  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/21/22 9:33 a.m.

I've had one of those $60 120v fans in my garage wall for a few years and it's awesome. I doubt you'll find a big enough 12v power supply for less money. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/21/22 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I think im gonna grab one. I'll be able to tell pretty quick if its worth a damn as ive been watching the temps in the attic. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/21/22 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

If you already have the fan, there are 40A power supplies for less than $40.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EbKMaXDVa1Gej8MZbalWDpCRu1AJXm49y3tXfG2utWHSQRrWFQuIY8WghPcG29Sj