1 2
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/7/20 8:37 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Wow. Very nicely done; if you haven't already, look up CPR survival rates and then pat yourself on the back again. That's awesome!!

I just did. surprise

To be honest, I'm glad this is knowledge we didn't have at the time.  Or at least if anyone did they were smart enough not to say anything.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/8/20 5:38 a.m.

Awesome, just awesome. 

There really isn't anything to say to properly communicate that you and your friends helped save someones life. That's just amazing!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/9/20 8:54 a.m.

Minor update - the 5 cracked ribs has been increased to 10.  More tests pending, but he seems to be getting better.

(Jesse) Ransom
(Jesse) Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/20 12:14 p.m.

Wow, just saw this. So glad you guys were on the ball and that things are turning out so well. Well done!

I definitely need to re-up my CPR training and get the first aid training I never had.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/20 1:52 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
Tom Suddard said:

Wow. Very nicely done; if you haven't already, look up CPR survival rates and then pat yourself on the back again. That's awesome!!

I just did. surprise

To be honest, I'm glad this is knowledge we didn't have at the time.  Or at least if anyone did they were smart enough not to say anything.

joshsauberman
joshsauberman New Reader
1/25/23 12:28 a.m.

Hi, I'm Josh Sauberman, and I run CPR and first aid coaching in the Bay Area of San Francisco. I appreciate the opportunity to chat about my favorite topic – safety training, particularly CPR – with motorsport fans. Saving a life has to be the most fantastic thing you can do for someone, and being reminded of the appropriate response to a life-threatening situation every now and again is incredibly important.

The motorsport industry has a long-standing dedication to safety, and it's important that everyone involved in the sport knows how to perform CPR and basic first aid. The Motorsport Emergency Response & Care team ensures that everyone is familiar with best practices for reacting to a trackside incident and that all involved are able to work together to deliver a swift, well-executed, and safe response.

This article can serve as a reminder of the training you already have, and if you feel like you need a refresher, you're welcome to download the infographics, share them with colleagues, and put them on the wall or online. Keeping these life-saving skills at the forefront of your mind is a great way to help keep the sport safe for everyone.

CPR is an essential skill for any motorsport enthusiast! It's a lifesaving technique used to restore blood circulation and breathing in a person whose heart has stopped beating or is no longer breathing. To give someone the best chance of survival, follow these fundamentals of CPR: compressions, rescue breaths, and AED. Knowing how to perform CPR can help save a life, so make sure you're prepared!

1. Determine if the person is unresponsive: Shake the person’s shoulders and ask loudly, “Are you okay?” If there is no response, call emergency medical services (911 in the United States and 999 in the UK).

2. Check for breathing: Look for the rise and fall of the person’s chest, listen for breathing, and feel for breath on your cheek. If the person isn’t breathing, immediately begin CPR.

3.Begin CPR: If you are trained in CPR, begin chest compressions by putting the heel of one hand on the center of the person’s chest, with the other hand on top. Keep your arms straight and compress the chest about 2 inches (5 cm) with each compression. 

4.Perform compressions at a rate of at least 100 per minute. (To the beat of “staying alive” by the BeeGees!)

5. Open the airway: Tilt the person’s head back slightly and lift the chin with your fingers to open the airway.

6.Give rescue breaths: Pinch the person’s nose shut and give two breaths into the person’s mouth.

Continue CPR: Alternate 30 compressions with two breaths until emergency medical services arrive or the person shows signs of life.

It is important to note that trained individuals only should perform CPR. Calling for emergency medical services and providing hands-only CPR, which consists only of chest compressions, can be just as effective as CPR with rescue breaths in many cases. If you're not trained in CPR, hands-only CPR can still be your lifesaver.

The infographic here is free to download, share and print. If you decide to republish it online, please attribute it with a link back to the source: https://cpredu.com/knowledge-base/free-downloadable-cab-cpr-and-resuscitation-chart-poster-sign/

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
1/25/23 6:55 a.m.

Well... update some 2.5 years later.

Friend is still doing well.  I saw him about a year or so while helping one of our friends clean up from a flood.  He's on a pacemaker, but is otherwise back to relative normal. Unfortunately, not riding as much anymore. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/23 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

That's great to learn that your friend is doing well. I have luckily never had to attempt to perform CPR and back when I learned it, you where supposed to pound the person on their chest 4 times first with the side of your fist before you started compressions. I better enroll my wife and I in a refresher course.

The teacher also told us how to perform an emergency tracheotomy by finding the voice box or larynx and then feeling down 3 ribs of the trachea and make a cut with anything sharp enough to puncher it, even a key. Than stick anything you can find to open up the hole, a plastic pen housing, or even your finger. He said they will probably get pneumonia, but they won't be dead. I was also told that being an unprofessional citizen, you couldn't be sued for trying and failing.

68TR250
68TR250 HalfDork
1/25/23 6:35 p.m.

Contact your local fire department.  We ( volunteer fire department) have an instructor who offers it every year since some of us  are up for re-cert on even years and some are on odd years. They may open it up to non department members.  I am in the middle of my cert.  Due to re-cert next December.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/23 9:21 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

I learned how to do a tracheotomy from MASH as a kid, and am surprised how many of my friends learned the same way.  Thankfully I've never needed to.  

VolvoHeretic
1/25/23 11:11 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Really? I don't remember that episode.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
1/26/23 11:15 a.m.

I do.  Radar & Father Mulcahy had to do it to an injured soldier via radio instructions from Hawkeye.  The clip is on YouTube.

VolvoHeretic
1/26/23 12:38 p.m.

For years, I've always wondered that if I ever came across someone on the road who need to be defibrillated, could I just unplug a spark plug wire and hook it up to my battery jumper cables, start the car, and hold the cables across their chest? You know, to jump start their heart? I think that my Mallory coil puts out 40,000 volts.smiley

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/26/23 1:05 p.m.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/23 5:31 p.m.

So, here's a fun thing that you may not know about...

Intraosseous Infusion

Under most circumstances (except for a few special situations like electrocution and drowning), CPR won't actually bring someone back... it just keeps them alive long enough to initiate Advanced Cardiac Life Support measures (ACLS), which then begin to reverse the medical causes of the cardiac arrest.

After we begin CPR, the next two goals are typically early defibrillation (if indicated) and the establishment of an IV to administer drugs.

It's often difficult and time consuming to get a good IV started, due to problematic veins, obesity and a variety of other reasons.

Over the past few years, we've started using Intraosseus Infusion to establish a (nearly) foolproof IV.

When attempts to start a traditional line in the back of the hand fail, the paramedic uses a small, cordless drill to bore a hole directly into the bone marrow, usually in the upper shin. You don't even need to stop CPR while it's happening.

We turn the patient's pants into shorts, find a few landmarks on the bone, wipe the area with some alcohol and drill a hole. The drill has a tiny fixture on it that prevents you from going too deep, and then most of it stays in place to secure the line.

There's surprisingly little blood. It also sounds exactly like the DeWalt cordless drill in my garage.

It's fast and effective... but it will freak you right the Berk out the first time you see it being done. 

Quick training video, using a mannequin

Slight longer video, NOT a mannequin!

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/23 7:52 p.m.

The drills are so fancy...

Many moons ago when I was a PALS instructor we would use the manual version (basically like a very sharp T handle allen wrench) and have chicken bones for simulation.  Had to keep reminding people not to hold the bone in their hand.

Funny IO story, several years ago my son and I were watching a series about USAF pararescue.  On one episode they showed putting an IO in.  A week or so later my son lands in the ED with what turned out to be osteomyelitis (infection in the bone, in his case most likely a result of being stupid in mud).

After they give us the news, he casually asks the nurse and ortho resident 'am I going to need an IO?'  

Complete silence and WTF looks at each other...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
1/27/23 6:54 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Ooof...  just the description makes me queasy...  although oddly enough, while videos and talking about traumatic injuries bothers me, when I'm actually dealing with them I'm fine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gq7Xv8NDvg2jND1sry8UsgUebQ8RKxhjJyvDTnHzuZ5uRzjaDsIB7seDHPVm5yLJ