1 2 3 4
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/2/21 3:57 p.m.

this looks like the ticket. To the weeds? Too the ER? I'm not sure, but sure looks like a ticket.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
8/2/21 5:16 p.m.

I hated two stroke trimmers because every one I've ever had turned into a problem in short order. They were always cheapies too. Three or four years ago Mrs. P bought me a  Husqvarna trimmer, and not a cheap one, and I love it. Starts every time, idles perfectly, and rips through everything. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/3/21 5:41 p.m.

I have a Stihl myself.  The string does tangle on occasion, but not very often.  Works when I need it to.

That chain saw chain adaptor above is scary.  Interesting how the big A advertises Your Medication Delivered in the same ad.   

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/4/21 7:10 a.m.
noddaz said:

I have a Stihl myself.  The string does tangle on occasion, but not very often.  Works when I need it to.

That chain saw chain adaptor above is scary.  Interesting how the big A advertises Your Medication Delivered in the same ad.   

I have a Stihl that uses a somewhat conventional string head - but it's set up so you can feed the string in from the outside, with the head fully assembled. It's a lot easier to deal with.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/21 12:43 p.m.

My Kobalt multi-tool battery powered motor seems to have died. It still lights up but won't run the edger or string trimmer attachment. I hate to switch to another ecosystem, given that I have two 80v Kobalt batteries. Lowes tells me they have discontinued Kobalt though. Anyone got any good ideas on what to do?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/21 12:44 p.m.

Looks like this

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/21 3:07 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Check eBay? Bad news about them canceling the brand. I'm very happy with my trimmer, probably the same one as yours.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/8/21 8:02 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

Check FB marketplace. There are always lots of battery tools for sale in my area.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/8/21 9:23 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

And I almost bought one this summer. Glad I went 2 stroke instead. 

But I was wondering if they made battery power heads that would use trimmerplus attachments. I'm glad to see at least some brand did. Hopefully others will.

8/8/21 9:31 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I'm pretty sure that there are other battery powered brands that have capability to use the ryobi style attachments. 

68TR250
68TR250 HalfDork
8/8/21 11:02 a.m.

I have an Echo that fires every time on 1 or 2 pulls.  I've had it since 94 and it just does not spik a beat.   I use nothing but Tru-fuel  - pre mixed fuel in it.   I also have a Ryobi.  I used to mix my own and even with using non ethanol the Ryobi would need a rebuilt carb every 4-5 years.  The Echo spins at 10,000 RPM!  Yeah baby - more power.  I used to sell them when I worked at the big box store in the 90's.

8/8/21 11:44 a.m.
dyintorace said:

My Kobalt multi-tool battery powered motor seems to have died. It still lights up but won't run the edger or string trimmer attachment. I hate to switch to another ecosystem, given that I have two 80v Kobalt batteries. Lowes tells me they have discontinued Kobalt though. Anyone got any good ideas on what to do?

I have the same one. If you decide to change to another set, I'd like to buy your charger and batteries. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/8/21 11:50 a.m.

I had a Ryobi 2 stroke trimmer that I hated.  Was super hard to start, idled like crap and it weighed a ton.  I replaced it with a Black n Decker cordless 16 years ago.  The B&D batteries don't hold much of a charge anymore, I need a fresh one each time I edge the yard but it's still working fine all these years later...

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/8/21 1:59 p.m.

I've had a black and Decker corded one for years.

It's not supposed to be heavy duty but that hasn't stopped me from sending it on unending suicide runs into the underbrush here which is basically ferns, small trees and sticks. It's still working but I think it hates me

Cchambers13
Cchambers13 New Reader
8/9/21 5:42 a.m.

I'll 2nd the Husqvarna high end trimmer side. Used to be the $0 hand me down Stihl trimmer guy but got a farm so splurged for a $300+ straight shaft Husky... its amazing, run .105" line and it lasts forever, starts easy, runs amazing and can run the blade-o-death for thick stuff.

The big line doesn't love the super thin soft grass but running thinner line works fine.

Also love the Husqvarna "professional" level chainsaws. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
8/9/21 6:38 a.m.

In reply to Cchambers13 :

Yup. Same setup here. I was also in need of a quality chainsaw, waited for a sale, keeping my eyes on the pro series Husky's, and bought one. It's even better than I expected.

Whether it's Stihl, Husky, or Echo, I don't think you can go wrong

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/12/21 8:35 a.m.

Well, my old Black and Decker bit the dust, unfortunately with help from the guys building my shed.  They must've knocked it over, or dropped something heavy on it and the plastic on it is all broken up.

I have mostly Ryobi battery stuff, there are two cordless Ryobi's a 10" one and a 13" one.  Reading the reviews people hate the auto feed for the string spool, apparently you use up a ton of string.  Anybody using it here that can comment? 

If I don't get a Ryobi, what should I get?  My yard is small, I prefer to not buy a 2 stroke gas trimmer, they're hard to start, hard to get to run right off choke, heavy, etc, etc...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/12/21 11:38 a.m.

For edging, I'm still rocking one of these--quiet and always starts.

8/12/21 12:44 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Thanks, David. I didn't know about these. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/21 2:16 p.m.

Just going to leave this here.

No photo description available.

Probibly not the best on grass

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/12/21 6:01 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

I have heard that there are businesses online that can rebuild battery packs.  NMNA

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/12/21 7:21 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Well it depends on your usage. We have a 20v B&D that was fairly priced on sale with a spare battery at <$100 but it's regularly more. Its right-sized for very light work around half an acre of house and yard play equipment and is very light  

The more I write the more I think you could do better, but FWIW this one doesn't suck. 
B&D trimmer

Reminder to David, you wanna couch Amazon links with an affiliate link or something? Make a few?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/12/21 9:01 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Thanks, David. I didn't know about these. 

My dad had one while we were growing up, and I bought one when we moved into this house. All these years later, it's still working. Yes, it involves some effort, but it's also quiet and fairly foolproof. (I used it this past weekend, in fact.)

Plus, I figure if/when the zombies attack, could make a good melee weapon. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/21 7:40 a.m.

My toro gas powered string trimmer won't run again. Probably needs another carb put on it. The are $12 on eBay. I like this one much more than the others because it has electric start. There is a small hand held electric motor you plug in to it and it will crank it over. Works kind of like how you start an Indy car. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/13/21 8:00 p.m.

Dad converted his gas string trimmer to the Craftsman Hassle Free system. Works good for general trimming use. Grass, weeds, edging.

I added a TrimmerPlus stalk/ head with a Razor Hybrid saw blade. Zips through 1/4 to 1" brush stalks. I've cut  over 2" brush stalks so far, it'll probably do thicker. Three years of use and only a few chips to teeth, so don't hit rocks.

Razor blade doesn't like grass and lighter material. Keep the 32 cc engine on the revs/ momentum for thicker material over 1.5", 50 cc engine be moar better. 

The trimmer and blade heads swap out in an easy minute. Some compromise, but good for what I been whackin'. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4RWA6hSpOinxO8KikUuI5A6gxFAMQSpfxOeSjpnAyutlojWpD0mFbf5HBEjnzZ92