1 2 3 4 5
btrostelsc
btrostelsc New Reader
5/4/11 11:34 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: Trah-stell?

That's what I get most often, and what I've started answering to. It's more like Tro-sul. Long "o", silent "t", emphasis on the first syllable.

It's a German name, I have no clue when or how the t became silent.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/4/11 11:42 a.m.

My name is spelt 'Luxury Yacht' but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/11 11:43 a.m.
Lesley wrote: Trade ya! You wouldn't believe some of the derivatives I've experienced...

You tell em Leyland

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/4/11 11:56 a.m.

My last name

Cash

Live in Tennessee, I will let everyone else fill in the blanks

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/4/11 12:00 p.m.

I bet you get Kay-shh a lot.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
5/4/11 12:34 p.m.

My name's simple enough. Adrian, the problem is I had no idea until I move here that it's more commonly a woman's name in America. I've had people tell me on the phone that they can't give me such and such a detail as they need to speak to my wife, not me. No I explain, I am Adrian.

My wife was glad to get married as she was tired of spelling Tourtellotte ten times a day though!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
5/4/11 12:50 p.m.

I have never been fond of my name. One syllable with sharp consonants on both ends means that I get pretty much any shout confused for someone calling out for me.

I developed a new dislike for it while in South Carolina two months ago. Somehow down there folks manage to pronounce it with 3 syllables. The exchange would go something like this.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Trent"

"Trey-ann-Tuh?"

"Nope, Just Trent actually"

"Nice to meet you Trey-Ann-Tuh, Where ya from"

"Eugene, Oregon"

Then I would have to feign interest while they told me how great my college hand egg team has done that season.

I work with a girl from El Salvador who pronounces it "Tron" I am OK with that one.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
5/4/11 2:38 p.m.

My last name is unusual unless you're in parts of PA or OH. Eleven letters; only three vowels; no W, C, or Z combinations but it has four syllables. Remove the vowels and anyone with a brain has an 80% chance of pronouncing it correctly. Include the first vowel and you're guaranteed success - if you will use your noggin.

People reading it have a hard time with pronunciation. When giving my name to someone, I don't even bother with stating it first; I spell it for them to reduce the chances of another screw-up and it saves time. Those with foreign accents get a pass (from me) because they're doing a better job with my language than I can with theirs. Others, not so much.........

I'm not changing it to make it easy for all the maroons out there.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
5/4/11 2:49 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Actually

"You any kin to Johnny?"

and "Cash? You spare some?" (as they hold out their hand.)

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/4/11 3:02 p.m.

ok interesting pronounciation at doctors... KAY-EEEET-ahhhh LYN

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/4/11 3:31 p.m.

My restaurant reservations/pizza ordering name is Pete.

Scott
Scott Dork
5/4/11 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Per Schroeder:

Might you tell us why, per chance?

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
5/4/11 6:57 p.m.
KATYB wrote: i have people tell me my name is wierdly spelt and also ask how to pronounce it... really is Kaitlyn that wierd and hard?

Not weirdly spelled, just that there are so many variations of Kaitlyn that everybody assumes the last version they've seen/heard is the right one. I think I've seen them all but tomorrow will probably throw me a new one.

The most recent variation is Kaelin which is one letter different from a type of clay.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/4/11 7:10 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: I work with a girl from El Salvador who pronounces it "Tron" I am OK with that one.

I went to school with a Swedish girl who called me "Colada." I didn't catch on until she sent me email. Even for a straight girl, a stunning blonde swedish woman can call me a frosty alcoholic beverage, and that's okay. ;)

My friends want to shorten "Carlota" so badly. I tell them, "If you are a gorgeous British man named Moxy, you can call me Lottie. Since you are not, you will call me Carlota." They've all taken to just calling me "Doll" in real life, too.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
5/4/11 7:16 p.m.

You're lucky, Doll. Stunning Swedish women usually call the police on me.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
5/4/11 7:23 p.m.
Lesley wrote: Is that true?

You could find out.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
5/4/11 7:31 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
You could find out.

IT'S A TRAP!

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
5/4/11 8:23 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: My restaurant reservations/pizza ordering name is Pete.

For reservations, if you are out with a fun group, use the name "Wild" That way, across the speaker can come, "Wild Party of 6" at which point you all shout.

If you need a reservation for 13 people place the reservation as "Jesus, party of 13."

mtn
mtn SuperDork
5/4/11 8:29 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: My name's simple enough. Adrian, the problem is I had no idea until I move here that it's more commonly a woman's name in America. I've had people tell me on the phone that they can't give me such and such a detail as they need to speak to my wife, not me. No I explain, I am Adrian. My wife was glad to get married as she was tired of spelling Tourtellotte ten times a day though!

Really? I know 5 Adrian's, 3 of them well. All of them are guys. The only female Adrian I know isn't even Adrian, its Adriana.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
5/4/11 10:34 p.m.

Ha glad I am not alone here.

Granted another reason I have always disliked my name is I was named after a friend of my dads who was the first person he was ever arrested with when he was a kid.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/4/11 10:58 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
For reservations, if you are out with a fun group, use the name "Wild" That way, across the speaker can come, "Wild Party of 6" at which point you all shout. If you need a reservation for 13 people place the reservation as "Jesus, party of 13."

i decided i am using the wild one friday night.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
5/4/11 11:04 p.m.

This seems like an opportune time to ask. I always read "pair" now, although I started out with "purr", which seemed wrong to me. I suppose "pier" is a possibility, too. Please forgive my midwestern Anglo Saxon roots- in my defense, I do pretty well with eastern European- lots of Ukranians around home.

Grizz
Grizz New Reader
5/4/11 11:04 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: I have never been fond of my name. One syllable with sharp consonants on both ends means that I get pretty much any shout confused for someone calling out for me. I developed a new dislike for it while in South Carolina two months ago. Somehow down there folks manage to pronounce it with 3 syllables. The exchange would go something like this. "Nice to meet you. I'm Trent" "Trey-ann-Tuh?" "Nope, Just Trent actually" "Nice to meet you Trey-Ann-Tuh, Where ya from" "Eugene, Oregon" Then I would have to feign interest while they told me how great my college hand egg team has done that season. I work with a girl from El Salvador who pronounces it "Tron" I am OK with that one.

Could be worse, I worked with an asian guy a few years back, he would have pronounced it "Tent"

I could never figure out if he had a speech impediment or was just being a dick, because it had nothing to do with his accent.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/4/11 11:10 p.m.

i used to have an asian guy who came into my shop who name was Aym Hung. no im not kidding

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
5/4/11 11:25 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
You could find out.

I could? I could!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BdZIYdEgvKj17IiUuBhFKhl63GEcAJ0TRsI0bi7SVAWWiM50T8jYUPtefG1omdWk