1 ... 3 4 5
Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/5/11 8:34 a.m.

Get. a. room.

I don't mind having an unusual name---it's pronunciation thing that bugs me. My brother Thor had no such issues, nor will my son Stig.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/11 8:36 a.m.
KATYB wrote: i used to have an asian guy who came into my shop who name was Aym Hung. no im not kidding

I have Harry Teets... Wait that came out wrong.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
5/5/11 8:55 a.m.

I usually have to spell my last name for people - Lay

Restaurant name is Munchhausendorferschmidt - spelled just like it sounds.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
5/5/11 9:11 a.m.

I do not like my first name. It's a real name, apparently of English or Scottish origin, but unusual in the US. Its meaning has something to do with valleys or waterfalls, or some kind of tree. In Australia, it's a girl name.

I've met two people with variation of the same name, but none of us spell it the same way.

PITA getting it across to people. I've never had off-the-shelf stuff with my name on it (You know, pencils, bicycle plates, coffee mugs, etc.). Misspellings are the norm. Confusion with names I have come to loathe are common.

My advice, freely give to expectant parents, is to give the child a normal first name, in a non-diminutive form, and spell it in the most standard way you can find. Indulge your fancy, if you must, in the middle name so your child can hide it with an initial later in life. Whatever you do, avoid androgynous or unique names.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/5/11 9:39 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
KATYB wrote: i used to have an asian guy who came into my shop who name was Aym Hung. no im not kidding
I have Harry Teets... Wait that came out wrong.

first time he said his name to me i was like ummmm excuse me.....he said ti again. and i asked to see his id.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/5/11 1:26 p.m.

I'm a bit more fortunate than some of you all, although everyone seems to replace the "t" in my last name with a "d", including the hobby shop that spelled my name wrong for a good 6 months of frequent special orders before I finally corrected them on it, for all I know my hobbytown card has my name wrong as well. It's Atkins, not Adkins, if it was Adkins I wouldn't be pronouncing it with a sharp "t" sound. And for the love of all that is holy, I am NOT related to the diet guy, stop asking me now or I will go all Cartman on you and integrate you into a meal in some way, shape, or form.

my stepdad, on the other hand... I think he's had to spell his last name out to 85% of the people who he's said his last name to. seriously. Overstreet is not that difficult. Over. Street. How could one get that wrong?

my mom has almost gotten to the point that she will spell her first name for people without being asked to because it gets misspelled so often.

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
5/5/11 1:36 p.m.

The problem with an unusual name is running out of boxes for letters on forms. Thankfully, that has decreased a bit with hyphenated last names. But still.....and I don't even ask if they want it spelled anymore, just do out of habit.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/5/11 1:58 p.m.

I was one a manager at a retail establishment started in California that features a surf/skate vibe. It also references the ocean in its name.

Anyhow, get an application. Last name Gates. First name Hevan Lee (yes, it's spelled as it was on the app) I though it was a joke until I saw her drivers liscense. Not surprisingly, she'd had a child by 17.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo New Reader
5/5/11 2:44 p.m.

My first name is a unisex name in Vietnamese, Thanh. Rhymes with John. Ordering pizza, starbucks, all fun. Todd? Tom? Batman, my name is Batman. Even gets butchered in writing. Than, Tahn, Tanh...

Don't get me started on my last name.

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/5/11 3:14 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I was one a manager at a retail establishment started in California that features a surf/skate vibe. It also references the ocean in its name. Anyhow, get an application. Last name Gates. First name Hevan Lee (yes, it's spelled as it was on the app) I though it was a joke until I saw her drivers liscense. Not surprisingly, she'd had a child by 17.

that is seriously an awesome name.... district manager for papaginos when i was a kid had the name. Jane Cravin-Cox. she married a guy with the last name cox and decided to hyphenate it..... i mean really how could you not notice that..... and she always wondered why we laughed everytime we said her name.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
5/5/11 8:07 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: My restaurant reservations/pizza ordering name is Pete.

I though it was Dorsey

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
5/5/11 8:25 p.m.

I was in the Navy with one guy named Massengill and one named Magitz. Correct spelling on both.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XKQ71CwnBKelPme4VyPccOeUC2aehEqD9SMyQP1Pgts33seOT3j1Z0pTzOuWOdwV