1 2 3 4
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 7:28 p.m.

So I've noticed a thing for a while, like last few years while.  Sometimes on my second drink I all of a sudden have a major snot attack.  Like all of a sudden I'm sneezing up a storm and have to run to blow my nose.  Really massive amounts of snot that takes several blows to get rid of.  Ok so now that you have that visual let's figure out why.

I think it's tied to more rye in my whiskey.  I don't recall it happening when I drink vodka.  Most bourbons also but whiskeys that contain more rye it happens more.  Is this possible?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/28/22 7:28 p.m.

Like hayfever? Maybe?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/28/22 7:33 p.m.

Possible, but sure would suck.  

Stampie
1/28/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It's weird because after that initial attack it's fine.  If I have 3 drinks it doesn't come back.  If I have 1 then it never happens.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
1/28/22 7:37 p.m.

possible, can you be more specific? 

American or Canadian Rye? 

Just learning distilling (actually just got a Rye mash in the ferment today), 

Mash bills vary , I'd be  interested what Rye you've been drinking

Stampie
1/28/22 7:44 p.m.

In reply to warpedredneck :

I think either.  To be honest I just keyed on the Rye tie in lately.  I decided to test with some Seagrams VO.  I pretty sure it's a Rye blended whiskey.  It's also not great but I'm drinking whiskey and coke so nbd.  Yep second drink the snot hits me.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 8:31 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Possible, but sure would suck.  

Yep, all the good vodkas are rye based.

It's supposed to be a neutral spirit, but theory and practice aren't always the same...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/22 11:23 p.m.

I think we need to run a more thorough allergy test. 

For science.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
1/29/22 7:00 a.m.

Rye whiskey is practically a dust bin for blended whiskey. I don't think there are any hard fast rules about what else is in there with the rye or even how much rye is needed to be classified that way. 

It might be the rye you're sensitive to, but it might be the antifreeze, cough syrup or cereal milk that's also in the blend.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 7:05 a.m.

In reply to akamcfly :

Good point.  Either way, an experimental purchase of Sobieski is in order.  It is a rye vodka.  There are other rye but that one seems to be the "purest".  It's also easy to find and fairly inexpensive.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/22 7:15 a.m.

Makes me wonder if it's related to barrel aging vs. the grain bill. As an anecdote, I'm celiac (gluten allergy), but am fine with pretty much whatever liquor because the distilling process removes any gluten. *shrugs*

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
1/29/22 7:51 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It's weird because after that initial attack it's fine.  If I have 3 drinks it doesn't come back.  If I have 1 then it never happens.

What about the 4th drink? Are you allergic to an even number of drinks? 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 7:59 a.m.

You need to get up to Baltimore. I can give you a tasting over several ryes that utilize a total of 8 different mash bills to help measure the response to see which ingredient maybe causing the histamine response. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
1/29/22 8:18 a.m.

I think we all need to participate, because a larger sample section will provide more reliable results. 

Anything for science.

Stampie
1/29/22 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I wonder if the distilling process for vodka would remove more of the "rye" response vs a whiskey.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 8:38 a.m.
Stampie said:

I wonder if the distilling process for vodka would remove more of the "rye" response vs a whiskey.

Have you considered not drinking?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/29/22 8:43 a.m.
akamcfly said:

Rye whiskey is practically a dust bin for blended whiskey. I don't think there are any hard fast rules about what else is in there with the rye or even how much rye is needed to be classified that way. 

It might be the rye you're sensitive to, but it might be the antifreeze, cough syrup or cereal milk that's also in the blend.

There are specific rules in the U.S. It must be at least 51% rye. It must be distilled to no more than 160 proof, and aged in new charred oak barrels.

In the mash, you will usually also get a bit of malt to provide enzymes for degrading starches. The remainder will then be corn and/or wheat - most likely corn, because it's cheaper. These will be all the same grains you see in a bourbon that uses rye, just in different proportions.

Distilling removes a lot of components, but concentrates others. Rye has some distinctive aromatic compounds. It's entirely possible you have an allergy to one or more of these. Quick google search reveals that a decent number of people report allergies specifically to rye whiskey. It would be to some sort of oil or alcohol, not to a protein or protein complex like gluten.

It's probably not something in the wood, because the same sort of barrels will be used to age bourbon as well.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/29/22 8:47 a.m.
Stampie said:

Depends on the country of origin. In the U.S., almost certainly, because it has to be distilled above 190 proof before being proofed down for bottling. Other countries may not have as high of requirements.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/29/22 8:47 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

Have you considered not drinking?

That would take all the fun out of drinking then...

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/29/22 8:58 a.m.

I will try a bourbon and then a rye, and report back.   FOR SCIENCE!!!  Currently I'm breathing free for the first time in weeks.

My wife has the gluten intolerance, so no more beer for her, has not had a problem with any other alcoholic beverages.  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/29/22 9:00 a.m.

Bottoms up the 2nd really fast, and get to that 3rd as quick as possible!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/29/22 9:36 a.m.

I'm allergic to corn.  Corn liquor doesn't bother me but Corn syrup berkeleys me up.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/22 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I'm betting that the body response is higher in malt bills that feature a higher level of corn. I have a rye 3 ryes that have no corn in the malt bill, one that is 18% sorghum and 62% rye, it's spicy, yet smooth. It really has quite the paradox of feelings when sipping it, It is spicy on the tongue, yeah almost soothing on the throat and stomach while still providing a warming effect from within. 

One of the strange and interesting aspects regarding the heavy use of corn due to cost, is the reason why corn is cheaper to distill with. It's largely magnified by the fact that corn is less susceptible to mold and spoilage while in storage when compared to other grains. We try to stay away from corn as much as possible due to the mindset of what it does to the digestive tracts of cattle. Grain that isn't as course can be more temperamental to store for longer periods of time, but generally makes for a better, smoother end product even though you're milling it all down to nearly a powder prior to distilling. 

Stampie
1/29/22 9:50 a.m.
akylekoz said:

I will try a bourbon and then a rye, and report back.   FOR SCIENCE!!!  Currently I'm breathing free for the first time in weeks.

My wife has the gluten intolerance, so no more beer for her, has not had a problem with any other alcoholic beverages.  

Part of the problem with that is a bourbon while at least 51% corn can be up to 49% rye.  I like rye so I tend to gravitate to whiskeys that have it in it. 

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
1/29/22 10:14 a.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I'm allergic to corn.  Corn liquor doesn't bother me but Corn syrup berkeleys me up.

Wow good luck avoiding corn syrup.  And good for you, that E36 M3 is not good for you.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KkjFEruyb5HJ3w75FyUlALtykeQALX6bN4cQ1RzGNC0FhmXpkdUqMuHXjxDTbPvf