1 2
yamaha
yamaha Dork
10/12/12 2:51 p.m.

Yes, it is Epic......that is all.

Of those who use it, what are your favorite stations?

Mine is constantly locked on SpinCycle and then when that gets a bit too "ghetto", I end up on chicago's kissFM for some top-40 goodness.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
10/12/12 4:00 p.m.

the local ( streamable ) NPR station (WNCW 88.7)... Sat from 11am to 7pm ... bluegrass ( Sat morning is Jazz) .. Sat night is Blues for 3 hrs

Sun morning from 6 to 10 is bluegrass gospel ... Sun afternoon is Celtic followed by 3 hrs of old-time ... through the week it is an eclectic play list that has everything from reggae to 50's R&R to metal to blues to ... pretty much anything

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
10/12/12 4:13 p.m.

100.3 The Edge out of Little Rock. The weekday morning show is entertaining. Modern rock, with a good mix of alternative & gurnge thrown in from time to time.

• Lee
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/12/12 4:24 p.m.

96.7 Steve FM out of Columbia, SC. Mix of new and old alt/'60's and '70's classic/'80's rock. Then they throw in the occasional disco or pop or whatever just to keep things interesting, for instance I heard a Buddy Holly tune the other day. Beats the hell out of the old formats for sure.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
10/12/12 4:29 p.m.

The problem with I<3radio is that it is just another Clear Channel Communications platform. Since Clear Channel has already imposed such a crushing weight of boring sameness across the airwaves (not to mention such carefully coordinated ad breaks), I really don't see it as an improvement.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
10/12/12 4:33 p.m.

Yeah, pretty hard to find a music radio station that isn't terrible.

I used it to listen to the kings games... but haven't had the need for that lately unfortunately.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/12/12 4:44 p.m.

Meh. I have XMSirius or whatever they call themselves this week, there's lots of different stations and lots of variety but the problem is (at least to me) I have to keep flipping stations for that variety. I used to listen to it exclusively but with the I Heart Radio, if I'm around town I can hear a reasonably decent variety. On the road, nothing beats XMSirius.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
10/12/12 4:49 p.m.
wbjones wrote: the local ( streamable ) NPR station (WNCW 88.7)... Sat from 11am to 7pm ... bluegrass ( Sat morning is Jazz) .. Sat night is Blues for 3 hrs Sun morning from 6 to 10 is bluegrass gospel ... Sun afternoon is Celtic followed by 3 hrs of old-time ... through the week it is an eclectic play list that has everything from reggae to 50's R&R to metal to blues to ... pretty much anything

I had to go hunt for this blues station you speak of, found out the only way to see it from the android app is to play the station on my computer then look under created stations on the app.

I am very happy now, I hardly ever used the app because the interface is clunky and it only lets you skip so many times.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
10/12/12 6:20 p.m.

good for ya ... and my bad for even posting ... I had no idea that I<3radio was a "something" as opposed to his opinion about radio .. .. I am a stupid ...

yamaha
yamaha Dork
10/12/12 6:28 p.m.

I can listen to NPR on the app.......I have Sirius for the vehicles, but listen to iheart radio all day at work....

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/12 7:03 p.m.

Pandora...works for me, unlimited data on the phone says I pump it through the car as well.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
10/12/12 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Spinout007:

I tried pandora, but I couldn't get it to play more than two "acceptable" songs in a row

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/12 8:32 p.m.

Gotta work the playlist. Only thumbs down the songs you don't want to hear, every time you thumbs up a song it throws a few "similar" songs into the rotation. Just don't go crazy and thumbs up a bunch of songs at one time. Do it once and be ready to cancel out a few. If you don't feel like listening to a song at that time, just fast forward it.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/12/12 10:58 p.m.

Clear Channel is evil.

that is all.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
10/13/12 12:51 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Gotta work the playlist. Only thumbs down the songs you don't want to hear, every time you thumbs up a song it throws a few "similar" songs into the rotation. Just don't go crazy and thumbs up a bunch of songs at one time. Do it once and be ready to cancel out a few. If you don't feel like listening to a song at that time, just fast forward it.

Don't worry if you thumbs down a song by accident, you can log in on your PC and edit that list. Thumbs down is the only thing that does anything... if you just let a song play without feedback Pandora assumes you like it.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 HalfDork
10/13/12 6:23 a.m.

107.7 The End out of Seattle.

I can't stand any of the local stations anymore, except the Zone....and...I never remember it's station address, since it has two, one for where I live, and one for in town (Mountain in the way). And even then, The Zone plays a lot of crap I don't like.

Otherwise...There's 2 or 4 top 40 stations, the College station that I never remember, CBC Radio....Some new stations...some Jazz or something somehwere, and 2 or 3 French stations.

Radio here on the Island is crap :/

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/13/12 8:00 a.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: 107.7 The End out of Seattle. I can't stand any of the local stations anymore, except the Zone....and...I never remember it's station address, since it has two, one for where I live, and one for in town (Mountain in the way). And even then, The Zone plays a lot of crap I don't like. Otherwise...There's 2 or 4 top 40 stations, the College station that I never remember, CBC Radio....Some new stations...some Jazz or something somehwere, and 2 or 3 French stations. Radio here on the Island is crap :/

my favorite streamable radio station is rockin 101.7 out of St Cloud, MN- call letters WHMH. they have been around for 30 years and are a truly independent local radio station that plays a combination of classic and modern rock and hard rock with some good dj's that don't talk too much or too little. it's been my favorite radio station for well over 20 years...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
10/13/12 8:19 a.m.

My g/f loves Pandora and it drives me nuts sometimes. It seems like it plays the same damn 30 songs over and over and over... It feels like listening to a top 40 station time warped from 1996.

When I'm out of range of my favorite station, I generally just listen to CD's, although I'll eventually switch to mp3's when I get a head unit that can play them or has an aux input and I can play them off my phone.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
10/13/12 10:00 a.m.

I didn't realize how spoiled we are until I drove across the States.

We get stations from SW Ontario, Toronto, Erie Pa, western NY, and of course CBC. Not a fan of most radio music, but I can almost always find something to listen to.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
10/13/12 2:04 p.m.

98.3 The Whip out of Farmer City, Illinois.

Blues bluegrass rock comedy folk and gospel. On a recent drive to work, I heard Doc Watson, John Prine, The Blues Brothers, Meat Loaf, and Hank Williams all in the same stretch.

Number 2 is 89.1, the NPR station out of Illinois State University. "News blues and all that jazz". They also have an acoustic program and a Beatles program that are pretty decent.

Otherwise, I'll listen to the two country stations here playing the crappy country music.

When I'm in Chicago, I listen to 93.1 WXRT and the incredibly crappy country station almost exclusively on FM, and 720 AM for news/talk/Cubs/Blackhawks, and 780AM for traffic and weather on the 8's.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
10/13/12 6:08 p.m.

I just noticed that spin cycle isn't actually a radio station, pretty sure they're an internet radio station......either way, its still nice to actually hear songs mixed together versus stopping and starting separately ....with 5 minutes of jabbering inbetween

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
10/13/12 6:32 p.m.

I use Tunein Radio on my Android and like it a lot. Tons of good stations. I listen to a lot of Pandora as well. Downloaded I Heart Radio, but never found anything I liked. Pandora and most of the stuff I listen to on Tunein have no commercials.

I listen to Beatles Radio a lot on Tunein.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
10/13/12 7:12 p.m.

XM/Sirius was running a free promotion when I drove my wife's car down to FL, and I have to admit, that the hours went by a little more pleasantly listening to "Classic Vinyl" or whatever station it was. Very nice on a long trip like that which I might take once a year or so. The promo had ended by the time I drove back, so I was forced to wade through a bunch of nasty country and top40 trash. Even so, there's just no way I'd pay for the satellite experience. I'm too cheap.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/13/12 8:05 p.m.

i refuse to use the app because it is clearchannel and they are singlehandedly responsible for ruining radio.

i do like the tunein app on my iphone as i can get stuff from all over the world and take all of my local sports and npr with me.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
10/13/12 8:37 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: XM/Sirius was running a free promotion when I drove my wife's car down to FL, and I have to admit, that the hours went by a little more pleasantly listening to "Classic Vinyl" or whatever station it was.

For road trips, I'm all about the Stuff You Should Know podcast. Get the How Stuff Works app and you can stream it. Made the trip from Denver to Lincoln fly by.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8MMWtuYNNvSbaasCymmDgtpwtbg5nLC01MuDlHR11MhY0eOb985JCUpe6ne1VGNB