1 2 3 ... 5
PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/7/20 2:31 p.m.

Would you go down the same path? What would you do instead? 

I'm a mechanical engineer in the automotive industry. I think I would have gone to a welding/fabrication trade school instead and have my own business working on racecars. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/7/20 2:35 p.m.

Medicine..  I'd be an ER doc.  Yeah.. I'm crazy.

practically.. I'd be a dermatologist and charge people bank for botox.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
12/7/20 2:35 p.m.

My undergrad was Mechanical Engineering then earned an MBA while working in industry.  I'm an Engineering Manager for a dietary supplement company.  It's a good gig and the company has done well this past year. 

Spent time in automotive and consumer products.  I understand the stress in the automotive industry. 

There are other opportunities out there.  Lots of breweries around here needing engineers.

To answer the question...no changes.  I like what I'm doing!

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
12/7/20 2:36 p.m.

Would've liked to have gone to the Air Force Academy and flown planes, either heavies or an A10.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/7/20 2:37 p.m.
PMRacing said:

I think I would have gone to a welding/fabrication trade school instead and have my own business working on racecars. 

Alot of engineers I speak with have the same desire..  I'm toying with the idea of buying a shop of some sort.  Boomers are retiring fast and selling their businesses..  2% business loans right now.

example https://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-Opportunity/established-precision-machining-business/1792814?d=L21pY2hpZ2FuL21hbnVmYWN0dXJpbmctYnVzaW5lc3Nlcy1mb3Itc2FsZQ==

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/7/20 2:39 p.m.

I'd go back to high school and tell myself to get a tutor in biology. I think I'd like being a pediatrician or neonatologist. And I believe I could do it too, but my HS biology turned me off of anything sciencey. Which is unfortunate, I really understand it pretty well now. I'd also learn a programming language.

If I only go back to college, I would have added a finance major to my Mathematics major and taken an extra year.

But I like my career path so far. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/20 2:39 p.m.

When I was in my 20's I'd have hated my current job, but by the time I was in my 40's I realized I needed a change & can't think of anything that would suit me more than the current gig & still pay me to do it. 

I do wish I'd stayed in school for 1 more year to get my bachelors degree in EET, though I don't think I'd have liked that actual work. Then again, not having another year's worth of student loans was a very good thing too. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/7/20 2:43 p.m.

I would have done my current career sooner, then jumped into something else and still kept the first years out of high school the same.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/7/20 2:49 p.m.

Spent more time in school intentionally on the business side, probably would have dual degreed or 5th year to do MBA at the same time. My skill is translating "nerd" to "dollars" but maybe no matter what that is hard won over a few decades laugh

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/7/20 2:53 p.m.

Mechanical Engineer who has so far worked on mining safety systems, magnets, headphones and LED drivers and fixtures. Just started in the automotive industry so far my only regret is staying a bit too long at my second job. 

If I have learned one thing it is that there is always another job (at least in Engineering) so at worst a job will suck for a bit before something else will come along. 

There are some other things I see and say I wish I had done that and then realize if had I'd have no money (or possibly time) to do the things I love. 

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/7/20 2:55 p.m.

Looking back, it all makes sense. There was pain, but without it you don't grow/learn/improve. I just wish I had taken better care of my back.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/7/20 2:58 p.m.

I'm a software guy, and I think the big decisions I've made along the way have been the right ones.   I'm pretty good at software, I enjoy doing it, and it pays decently so it's hard to think of a different career that would have turned out better.  As for the details (getting a BS in CS, skipping the master's, which employers I chose when) I think that worked out decently well.  I mean, sure, one can always make 20/20 hindsight arguments like I should have tried to go work for Google when they were a 100 person startup, but that's cherry picking exceptional results.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
12/7/20 3:01 p.m.

Finalized my programming skills and started working on flash trading software. I would own an island now and be retired. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/7/20 3:02 p.m.

I might have tried selling books on the new thing known as the internet. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/7/20 3:14 p.m.

I would've gone into medical administration and gone back to law school sooner. 

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/7/20 3:15 p.m.

I am an ME that went into management. I am happy with the choice but I had two major forks in the road that I always wonder about:

Fork 1- start my own business, I was close at one point I was making almost as much money consulting as I was on my 9-5. At the same time I almost bought into a garage and stopped being an ME to be a mechanic. 

Fork 2- After ~10 years of designing machines I was approached about going to the dark side and being a controls engineer. The logic was since I knew the process and I knew what the machines were trying to do I would have a good background to move into controls. That field would probably give me more options than I have now but pay less.

People always want what they don't have. My wife always says you can't have part of someones life, you have to take the whole thing. With that in mind I am very happy with where I am in life at mid-career so maybe I wouldn't change a thing...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/7/20 3:18 p.m.

I'd get a government job and have a gold plated pension, and be retired already.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/7/20 3:22 p.m.
New York Nick said:

Fork 2- After ~10 years of designing machines I was approached about going to the dark side and being a controls engineer. The logic was since I knew the process and I knew what the machines were trying to do I would have a good background to move into controls. That field would probably give me more options than I have now but pay less.

I went the other way about 5 yrs into my career (from controls to process) and I think it was the right move.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/7/20 3:35 p.m.

I kind of got to do that when I went back to work as an industrial mechanic last year. I learned that I LOVED the job, but the guys who are 25 do a lot better than the guys who are 45 phycically and the guys who are 45 are trying to figure a way out so that they don't completely destroy their body. Be careful what you wish for. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/7/20 3:39 p.m.
PMRacing said:

Would you go down the same path? What would you do instead? 

I'm a mechanical engineer in the automotive industry. I think I would have gone to a welding/fabrication trade school instead and have my own business working on racecars. 

My "Career" has been jumping careers. Go figure.

Went to university to become a lawyer and ended up graduating as an electrical engineer even though I had no HS math or science background. Ended up doing seismic work overseas and then opened a brewery until I got bored and went into automated testing and then MEMs based medical devices.

Oddly enough the most important skill that enabled me to do this was reading and writing that I probably already had down by the time I got to HS.

If you want to do welding and fabrication, don't do race cars. Race car people are all T-Rexes with arms that can not reach their wallets. You also have to have thick skin because race car fabrication is as competitive as racing and they all talk E36 M3 about each other.

Build Hot Rods. More variety and it is money people are happy to spend as long as they see results.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/7/20 3:39 p.m.

My biggest career regret was not taking the EIT and PE tests in PA when I could do so based on experience without an engineering degree.  Otherwise, I don't really have any big regrets.  I've been in the right place at the right time and lucked into a few good decisions. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/7/20 3:42 p.m.

I'm not sure.  I am a Mechanical Engineer.  I have enjoyed a lot of the work I have done.  If I restarted, I would probably do one of two things:

1)  Try to head toward design agencies from the start.  I really enjoy the R&D, / rapid development side of engineering.  The monotonous projects that are 95% the same as the last, I do not enjoy.

2)  Maybe head toward computer science or engineering.  I enjoy programming & computers.  I am jealous that these jobs lend themselves better to working remotely, seem to be more common in places I want to live, and these toolsets can be easily leveraged outside of work for side money/starting your own business.  (as opposed to ME where you need expensive software and/or fabrication equipment).

AaronT
AaronT Reader
12/7/20 4:09 p.m.

If I went back in time and did it differently I wouldn't be who I am today, but if I had done things differently I wouldn't have been a 34 year old enrolling in a Calculus course at the beginning of 2020. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/7/20 4:16 p.m.

I would've gotten into commission sales earlier than I did.  I spent 9 years in purchasing as a buyer/agent and I would've started in sales instead.  

Some don't like the commission end of it but I find it motivating and exciting.  I also love Southern California and would've loved to move there to start my career. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/7/20 4:18 p.m.

Either stuck with it and got my BS in MET (Have a BA in Journalism, PR) or Software Engineering. 

Although now in my late-30s I do pretty OK in OK for someone with a PR degree.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6IAYn8Uwc0yM4PswXSQkwzFGOlx6Q1zXL3twSQqJCC08WYrFnS79v4uKTXaEUjkf