1 2
WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
2/24/16 1:07 p.m.
petegossett wrote: In reply to ultraclyde: Well, I suppose if you need to get a truckload of strippers somewhere...or maybe just 1 or 2 *really* large ones???

I could move an entire crew of midget strippers in my Fiat, could you imagine how many of them would fit inside a 24' box truck with an over cab extension?

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat Reader
2/24/16 2:15 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: Uhaul corporate refused to help telling me it was an independently owned franchise. Local DA wouldn't help because it "wasn't big enough a fraud". I came close to burning that place to the ground.
This is a key point with the orange truck people. The corporate owned stores are hit or miss, but NEVER go to an independent. Srsly, there's a "gift shop" (video gambling) locally that's right next to a strip joint that rents UHaul trucks. Who in their right mind...?

Yeah, that just screams "sex-trafficing"

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/24/16 2:52 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul?:Yes it is, have rented 4 times from them now.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/16 2:56 p.m.

maybe it is my uhaul.. but their pickups and vans are generally in very good shape. It is the boxtrucks that always seem to be beaten up and on their last legs

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/24/16 3:12 p.m.

U Haul story, booked a trailer, describe the car I am towing FB RX7 with no engine, and what it was with Dodge 1500 shortbed, describe the hitch rating and all is good.

So I drive 4 hours to collect the car, go to the U Haul when I get there and they refuse to rent the trailer because the hitch, truck, towed vehicle combination is outside their guidelines. I explained this was prearranged and they had all this information prior, they still refused and said "too bad"

I will never again use any U Haul service, I would rather push it by hand.

mad_machine
2/24/16 3:15 p.m.

some of the uhaul requirements for towing are hysterical. Looking at their website, I can rent the biggest box they have for towing behind my disco.. but the little aero box made for small cars.. comes up as "not recommended"

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/21 3:35 a.m.

Canoe

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/23/21 5:53 a.m.

I know this is a necro-thread but when I went to grab the X1/9 they wouldnt rent me a trailer because it wasn't on any of their lists. I showed them pics and weights but no dice. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/22 8:12 a.m.
chandler said:

I know this is a necro-thread but when I went to grab the X1/9 they wouldnt rent me a trailer because it wasn't on any of their lists. I showed them pics and weights but no dice. 

Same thing with the Morris Minor, I told them it was the size of a Miata and that was satisfactory. 

mad_machine
8/1/22 8:11 p.m.
mtn said:

Have you guys really had that much issue with Uhual? I've found them to be pretty good vehicles when I use them. Maybe that is reflective of the places that I've been renting them from rather than Uhaul on the whole.

In any case, they're the only ones I know that rent trailers, which are usually $20 or $30 a day with no mileage restraints.

last time I rented from uhaul, none of the half dozen places in the area actually had a trailer I could rent.  They had them on the website,  but all were gone, had never come back, or they never had them in the first place.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/1/22 8:28 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
chandler said:

Same thing with the Morris Minor, I told them it was the size of a Miata and that was satisfactory. 

I have this weird mental condition where whenever I'm in a Uhaul office, I think I'm about to pick up a 1999 Honda Civic coupe. That never seems to be a problem. Then, almost like magic, I remember what car I'm actually picking up once the trailer is hitched up and I'm on the road. I should probably get that looked at, but it's not an entirely unhelpful condition. laugh

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/2/22 9:33 a.m.

Be careful with Enterprise truck rentals.  Make sure you take a good set of pictures of it right when you pick it up.  When my cayenne went into the body shop for 4 months to get hail damage repaired I got a Dodge 2500 as a rental as I needed to tow my race car/trailer that summer.  Even though my policy had unlimited mileage on it, enterprise would call me weekly to find out how many miles I was putting on the truck.

Then when I dropped it off they claimed it had gotten hail damaged while I had it and tried to get my insurance to pay for it.  They refused to let me see the truck, claiming it was already at their body shop.  They lied saying they'd called me to tell me about the damage.  Their calls stopped when I called their corporate office and blasted them, telling them I'd happily show them my cell phone records proving they never called me, along with weather reports showing no hail events in my area while I had their truck....

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/2/22 9:45 a.m.
docwyte said:

Be careful with Enterprise truck rentals.  Make sure you take a good set of pictures of it right when you pick it up.  When my cayenne went into the body shop for 4 months to get hail damage repaired I got a Dodge 2500 as a rental as I needed to tow my race car/trailer that summer.  Even though my policy had unlimited mileage on it, enterprise would call me weekly to find out how many miles I was putting on the truck.

Then when I dropped it off they claimed it had gotten hail damaged while I had it and tried to get my insurance to pay for it.  They refused to let me see the truck, claiming it was already at their body shop.  They lied saying they'd called me to tell me about the damage.  Their calls stopped when I called their corporate office and blasted them, telling them I'd happily show them my cell phone records proving they never called me, along with weather reports showing no hail events in my area while I had their truck....

I just went through this as well; the thing was a 2021 and had 46k on it. Luckily I had taken some pictures of something else in the driveway and it featured in the background. Was able to show that I did not inflict the damage.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
8/2/22 9:45 a.m.

I live two blocks from a U-haul rental lot. Last summer I needed two tons of gravel. It only cost me $60 to rent a GMC pickup and make two runs to the bulk landscape place. Truck was rated at 2k in the bed, so that's what I put in it. Brought it back cleaner than I got it.

I absolutely video'd the condition of the truck before and after the rental. The attendant thought I was nuts, but stuff like Docwyte mentioned happens all the time.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/2/22 9:57 a.m.

Years later, knock on wood, I've still never had an issue with any Uhaul equipment. I've had an issue with one of their local operators- and we've had an issue with him before, in his other business operated out of the same location - but the equipment has all been good. Also had one time where we were called before pickup, because the vehicle hadn't been returned, but they just upgraded us from a van to a box truck. 

I do always take copious amounts of pictures though. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/2/22 11:59 a.m.

When I went to pick up the free Spitfire years ago with a Uhaul trailer, it wouldn't accept a Spitfire as the towed car.  It would accept Midget.  So Midget it was.  

When I moved out of Alabama in 1985, it was before they had upgraded their equipment. The trucks were ancient Ford F-700s with manual transmissions.  Ours blew the engine 2 hours from our destination.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w497Ujywar8VQTh4DtEWCIZRVWDKDFjKJXJIA47giGphh23N6Jbbv0Azo9C9twXK