thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/08 9:51 a.m.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,429503,00.html

Go Dad

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/08 10:10 a.m.

Well he obviously didn't intend to kill the guy, which is a plus, not that killing him would have been an unreasonable thing to do...so yeah, Go Dad!

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
10/1/08 10:22 a.m.

Heck yeah man. If I caught some guy breaking into my daughter's room like that my intent and response would be very clear with a similar result!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/1/08 10:58 a.m.

Same here. That sumbitch wouldn't last 2 seconds. I still remember the guy who shot the guy who raped his 12 year old son. It happened in the middle of a busy airport somewhere and I could see myself doing the same thing.

cwh
cwh Dork
10/1/08 11:05 a.m.

Dad is 64, no spring chicken indeed, but he did what any decent dad would do. Personally, I would have preferred to use my Makorov. Intruders life expectancy was zero. Got to make you wonder about how crazy he had to be to try something like this.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/1/08 11:07 a.m.

I would have done the same thing. I don't think what Dad did was unreasonable. In fact, I think the fact that he was not trying to kill the man was quite surprising.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage Reader
10/1/08 12:28 p.m.

I'd have done the same with a thought about it.

sorta like a cat and mouse. the cat does not intend to kill the mouse, it just plays with it till its dead.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
10/1/08 12:53 p.m.

i don't have any kids, i'm not even married and i'm pretty sure i'd have done the same.

the guy is lucky this happened in indiana, if it had been in one of the more liberal states the dad might be going to jail for it.

Carson
Carson Reader
10/1/08 12:58 p.m.

"He was familiar with the home's layout because it belonged to a relative, police said."

What? The sex offender was related to the home owner?

edit: I guess the family could be renting.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/08 12:59 p.m.

"Nobody wins," McNally told The Indianapolis Star. "It's a lose-lose situation for everybody. He has family also."

...I'm not so sure I agree with that statement.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/08 1:40 p.m.
Woody wrote: "Nobody wins," McNally told The Indianapolis Star. "It's a lose-lose situation for everybody. He has family also." ...I'm not so sure I agree with that statement.

Damn right, I definitely don't agree. Breaking into someone's house with a weapon is plenty of justification for deadly force IMO, and that's ignoring the nakedness, maskedness, and regiseredsexoffenderism. He did the guy a favor by putting him in a headlock instead of breaking his neck right away.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
10/1/08 1:48 p.m.
Woody wrote: "Nobody wins," McNally told The Indianapolis Star. "It's a lose-lose situation for everybody. He has family also." ...I'm not so sure I agree with that statement.

I dont either. He did the other family a favor. And if the other family thinks there sex offender relative is better off alive, then the deserve the same fate.

Joey

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/1/08 2:45 p.m.

If it was Louisianna, I would have been disappointed (slightly) by this man's death. A conviction would have left him casterated (either chemically or physically). It's optional (at the judge's discression) on the first offense and mandatory on any further offenses.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
10/1/08 2:59 p.m.

I just hope common sense continues to prevail. Sounds like the police are saying that it doesn't get a whole lot more obvious that this was self defense, and the dad didn't go overboard escalating things.

I just hope the guy who is obviously in the right does not end up having to waste time, money, and emotional energy going to court for anything. Including having family of the dead attacker trying to sue in civil court.

I trust the father would win any case against him. But he shouldn't have to be hassled further.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/1/08 3:08 p.m.
Salanis wrote: I just hope the guy who is obviously in the right does not end up having to waste time, money, and emotional energy going to court for anything. Including having family of the dead attacker trying to sue in civil court. I trust the father would win any case against him. But he shouldn't have to be hassled further.

Indiana's progressive and intelligent "Stand your ground" aka "Castle Doctine" laws provide a measure of immunity from civil lawsuit.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
10/1/08 3:21 p.m.

A friend of mine had someone break in his house. He woke up, called the cops, proceeded to get into a fight with the guy, and ended up stabbing the intruder in the eye. When the cops arrived they told him he should have killed the guy, because he will be pissed when he gets out of jail.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/1/08 3:28 p.m.

i like FL's law... if something similar happend in my house well lets say my 12g is very handy... could be worse for him... my next door neighbor has an awesome collection including full auto toys :) he used to have a target sitting in the window next to the front door with the center shot out...

i have NO sympathy for someone like that... the perv's death would be no accident... thats for sure...

cwh
cwh Dork
10/1/08 6:43 p.m.

The only problem with guns, and a 12guage in particular, is the mess you have to clean up. The dad did it with his bare hands. Props to him. More of a man than I would have been. My choice would have been messy. 64 YO badass. You go, Pops!!

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/1/08 8:15 p.m.

meh... let servpro clean up the nasties... should be covered in the insurance... we had a few bio clean ups like that (kid blew his brains out right after i'd quit)... tivex suites and the whole 9... lots of fun from what they said... think they had 3 or 4 of those kind of jobs within a few months after i'd left...

my biggest concern with the 12g would be my family and the proximity of the shot...

but yes... way to go for protecting your family... i shutter to think of the day when the most we can do is dial 911 and hide...

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/1/08 8:39 p.m.

I can honestly say I wouldn't have done what this guy did....

I'd have shot the ba$tard. Doing it bare handed is the hard way.

I also disagree with the asinine statement that it was a lose-lose situation. Society was the winner here.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/1/08 9:10 p.m.

ehhh

shooting is the easy way out..

real men strangle people.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/1/08 9:27 p.m.

The use of tools is what separates us from lower animals.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/08 9:29 p.m.
donalson wrote: my biggest concern with the 12g would be my family and the proximity of the shot...

I have slugs to keep the damage somewhat contained. Your insurance doesn't always cover the cleanup and it is as bad as you'd imagine. We had a stabbing and between the blood everywhere and my mom and aunt crying it was awful work..

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
10/1/08 10:39 p.m.
billy3esq wrote: The use of tools is what separates us from lower animals.

Then use a lamp cord, don't use one of those point-and-shoots.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/1/08 11:13 p.m.
Wally wrote:
donalson wrote: my biggest concern with the 12g would be my family and the proximity of the shot...
I have slugs to keep the damage somewhat contained. Your insurance doesn't always cover the cleanup and it is as bad as you'd imagine. We had a stabbing and between the blood everywhere and my mom and aunt crying it was awful work..

With slugs I believe the term is "over penetration." Perfectly fine for Wally who isn't allowed to live within 500 yards of another person, but for those without high-powered restraining orders...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JncAkf6jzX2uYZWtNDFqCykWiylELjY4aB9yVoKcZL1X1bpbH4bFEp8sRGcZrKeQ