1 2 3
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/10/17 8:24 p.m.

I am 54 and dream about meeting up with this girl I liked in high school. What if she has the same dream about me?

The other night I dreamed I was asking her mom about her. What if we both dream about meeting somewhere current and we both head to that spot now?

Once a decade the dream gets steamy and I'm bothered for a day thinking about her. These dreams never get mentioned to the wife.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/10/17 8:39 p.m.

I have tons of very vivid dreams. Many reoccurring ones. I've wrote about several of them here but I doubt I could find those threads again.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/17 8:54 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: I'm about halfway into writing my next novel (this is my fifth! maybe more on that later). It's a modern-day sci-fi thriller about some people who become aware that they've been sharing dreams with each other for as long as they can remember. They start to meet in real life and figure out what's happening to them and why.

That sounds similar to an idea I was working with in the 1995-1996 timeframe, where people were sharing dreams and, since dreams are the way the brain sorts/organizes information, the dreams were laying bare some hidden conspiracies in the world around them.

Then a little movie by some unknowns called "The Matrix" came out a little while later, and I just sort of gave up on it... No point, really

Daeldalus
Daeldalus New Reader
8/10/17 8:55 p.m.

Here's a quick one. When I was a kid I once dreamed I was being chased by velociraptors and as I ran I found a cave in a hillside. Well I knew in the dream they would trap me in the cave so I climbed to the top of the cave mouth. I had outsmarted them! Nope. They were now behind me somehow. My uncle then shows up in his 89 s10 and tells me to jump into the bed because it was filled with pillows. So I jump. The pillows I then realized were actually bags of cement. I hit them. I woke up.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
8/10/17 11:15 p.m.

I had a dream the I was playing trumpet quite well in Jazz quintet. I have never played or attempted to play a trumpet or cornet. I have never played the style of music we were performing which was very much in the vein of "Miles Ahead".

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
8/10/17 11:17 p.m.
einy wrote: Who is this Amy that receives side mentions now and again ?

Repeating the tale of Amy risks becoming an addition to Margie's patio; a fate no sane person would risk.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/11/17 12:00 a.m.

I once had a dream where I was walking around a house trying to figure out what the loud repetitive noise was...(yes it was the alarm clock, yes I was late that morning).

Also, I remember, not long after I got my first job at Walmart, I had a dream where 2 sort of dark orbs collided on Earth and stopped time. If I remember right the rest of that dream was literally sitting in the dimly lit living room contemplating my new existence that was only going to be what was going in that room at that moment.

Those are the only ones I feel okay about posting here. The rest of the ones I'm thinking of are the ones where I woke up thinking "What? Why her?"

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/11/17 7:51 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: There's this thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/i-had-a-really-strange-dream-last-night/130260/page1/

And I still haven't been back to Burger King since.

I have crazy dreams ALL THE TIME. I have actually wanted to write a book about them myself. Latest one was part of a recurring series about me going hunting for retro video games. I found a game console that doesn't exist!!!

I found myself out with the wife at a dusty old thrift store we found while driving around. As I'm looking around, I see something very strange over by the CRT TV's. It was about the size of a 20" TV, with woodgrain and black plastic and silver accents throughout, but had what appeared to be a Vectrex monitor on one side of the case and a speaker and knobs on the other. On the bottom of it was a CED player. It was called the RCA Vectrex Color. It was apparently a combo unit that played Vectrex carts and special color games that used the CED format as game media. I'm not sure if that is even possible in the real world, but this was a dream after all. I bought that and a horde of Sega Master System games for something like $26. Then, I woke up sad that it didn't exist.

For reference, the black box that looks like a weird TV on the right in this pic is a Vectrex:

The Vectrex is awesome, and was the Rolls Royce of game consoles back in 1982. It had a real vector monitor and had arcade quality games that looked nearly identical to the arcade counterparts that used vector graphics. It's a rare console. Somehow, I found mine in the back of a 1966 Rambler at a junkyard, and got it for free. It's displayed prominently in my game collection.

CED's were a proprietary video playback format similar to vinyl records that were brought to market in the late 70's by RCA. They housed the disc in a plastic case, and the player was designed to open the case and accept the disc. Here's a CED in its case I have hanging on my wall:

Here's what they look like inside:

And here's a CED player:

Funny thing: I had no idea about this until I posted about my dream on a gaming forum, but other game companies like Coleco were dabbling with the CED technology for game storage, and they DID make a prototype color Vectrex at one point, so maybe I visited an alternate dimension in my sleep?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
8/11/17 7:54 a.m.

Another good one: I had a dream once where I was trying out for a Def Leppard tribute band as the drummer. They had me play some early stuff, and were impressed that I nailed the songs. Then, they said they were looking for an "authentic experience" and made me tuck my left arm into my shirt and tie it behind my back and rolled out an electronic kit. I had to play with one arm for all the post-Pyromania stuff.

Yes, I got the gig.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/11/17 9:01 a.m.
Robbie wrote:
Pete Gossett wrote: In reply to failboat: I have similar dreams about cars I've previously owned. It always takes a long time after I wake up to figure out I no longer own them.
I've had dreams that I owned a car and forgot about it, only to 'remember' it during the dream and be SUPER excited. Keep in mind these are cars I have never owned, and they are mostly the same crap I want to build anyway. Like an old Jeep Cherokee, or a clapped out civic or something. Edit- just like failboat, it seems.

Hehehe same here. Can't remember what most of them were...last one was a Yamaha R6 in the shed.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/11/17 10:12 a.m.

Another loopy dream I might as well add: I once dreamed I was riding a bobsled through an office building, sometimes down stairwells and sometimes through sections of the office with people jumping out of the way. Then my high school football coach caught me when the sled got stuck on a landing in a stairwell and was not amused.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/11/17 10:20 a.m.
tomtomgt356 wrote: That night I had a dream that I was a speedster who carried a bow and arrow and I was fighting off these giant flying diapers that were shooting poo at everyone.

I've been having that same dream every night, for a while now...Only it's not a dream.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/11/17 11:16 a.m.

Hormone replacement for the tumor plus my preponderance for nightmares means that sleep is not something I enjoy when I get into cycles.

If you are writing a book I would look into linear dreams. I have the most violent viking / WWI era dreams that you could ever imagine. Up to 5 or 6 days can happen when I am basically stuck at sea or raiding with it continuing the next day when I fall asleep right where it left off. Like I am relieving some terrible past life that I have no control over. Every night it just keeps continuing. Meletonin for some reason will knock me out of the cycle.

This sticks with me for a few days and rattles me pretty good. Has not happened for years now.

GameboyRMH
8/11/17 11:31 a.m.
Type Q wrote:
einy wrote: Who is this Amy that receives side mentions now and again ?
Repeating the tale of Amy risks becoming an addition to Margie's patio; a fate no sane person would risk.

Here's a hint:

Doubleoh9
Doubleoh9 New Reader
8/11/17 8:06 p.m.

I have this recurring one where I'm a late 70's street racer (or at least what a somewhat edjucated on the subject 22 year old imagines it was like) with a nasty Dodge Dart (jacked up really high in the back in a scungy green with American racing mags up front and 4 hole steelies with a fat tire in the back) It's basically like a tv show that's different every time but the same basic scenario. Sometimes I win sometimes I lose, but it's pretty fun every time.

I don't know if my want for that exact Dart has been fueling the dreams or the reverse but it's awesome!

Knurled
8/12/17 9:35 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Hormone replacement for the tumor plus my preponderance for nightmares means that sleep is not something I enjoy when I get into cycles. If you are writing a book I would look into linear dreams. I have the most violent viking / WWI era dreams that you could ever imagine. Up to 5 or 6 days can happen when I am basically stuck at sea or raiding with it continuing the next day when I fall asleep right where it left off. Like I am relieving some terrible past life that I have no control over. Every night it just keeps continuing. Meletonin for some reason will knock me out of the cycle. This sticks with me for a few days and rattles me pretty good. Has not happened for years now.

Weird. I used to get dreams like that all the time as an adolescent up into my mid twenties, where they were serially linked and it was some strange alternate universe. They gradually tapered off. I remember there being an awesome house with a labyrthine basement with all sorts of awesome things like movie theaters and stuff.

I wonder if hormones DOES have something to do with it?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/12/17 10:57 a.m.

I don't seem to dream much as an adult but when I was a kid I had two regularly recurring and disturbing dreams. in one I was standing near a burning airplane and a man extended his arm and shot me in the chest with a handgun and killed me. I would wake up when I felt the impact of the bullet. The other dream involved redcoated soldiers storming a barn I was hiding in and torching it. There would be bullets flying and the soldiers would get closer and closer.. ...and then the barn was on fire and I would wake up crying. I still remember my heart pounding in my chest when I woke up. Had those dreams many times. It has been probably 40 years now but I remember them vividly.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus New Reader
8/12/17 11:07 a.m.

I get linked dreams from time to time, but they are never close to one another time wise. i think the closest together they have been is about a month.

the series i remember the best is this.

the first dream is the haziest because I had no real indication that it would be connected to any other dream so i didn't think to try to write it down or remember it.

a guy was showing me red sphere, but it wasn't actually there. it was like he had an illusion(or maybe hologram) of it above his palm. I don't remember the words that either of us said but i remember the impression of what was talked about. He was saying that I had been chosen to find this sphere except not that one exactly because they knew where it was already and had others going to get it. they were extremely important and powerful. other people were going to be after them too and would kill to obtain them. there was more to the dream but it is too fuzzy.

I will write out the second one once i get some more time.

GameboyRMH
8/12/17 11:08 a.m.

Had a couple of weird dreams last night.

In the first one, I had the idea that my dad was giving me a lift to work, even though we were in his Discovery that he hasn't had for over a decade, and the place we were driving through looked more like a drought-stricken rural England. There were fields on both sides of the road and forests in the distance.

Someone was hooning a Supermarine Spitfire over the field to the left, but doing really dangerous and stupid moves, like flying knife-edge near stall speed. There was another WW2ish fighter plane flying in the same area but not doing anything really stupid. I said "This guy's gonna crash. Let's watch this guy crash his plane." So my dad pulled over and I climbed onto the side of the Discovery, got my cell phone out, and started recording. After a few more stupid moves, he started descending inverted and went behind a barn in the distance, and I heard the crash and saw smoke. So I stopped the recording and started walking toward the crash site. I reached the barn and hidden off the road to the right was a cottage where some people were sitting around a bonfire in the front yard, roasting marshmallows like nothing happened. There were small bits of flaming debris in the street, more in the field to the left and in the distance, a big fire over what must have been the main crash site. The second plane was still flying around.

In the second and weirder dream I was watching a futbol game, observing from on the field like a ghost, and the referee was giving players penalties, in a very official manner, for doing things not even slightly related to the game off the side of the playing field...one guy got a penalty for putting on a silly hat, and another guy got one for pleasuring a horse...

Knurled
8/12/17 11:18 a.m.

... Wait, you can get a penalty for that?

Oh well. Worth it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/12/17 11:28 a.m.

Timely thread. Just last night I dreamed I was a muffler. I woke up exhausted!

Daeldalus
Daeldalus New Reader
8/12/17 12:46 p.m.

on to the second dream in the series. this one i didn't know was connected to the first until near the end.

I was running for my life. jumping over logs, off of small cliffs, and rushing through underbrush. I had gained enough space on the person chasing me that I could no longer see them or hear their pursuit. there was someone with me as i was running best i could describe them would be a spirit. invisible to all but me. she was keeping me up to date on the chaser. she informed me that he was a knight(yes like full plate armor kind of knight) of a certain evil lord. he had far more power than me and would kill me within seconds in a confrontation.

suddenly she said that he had stopped chasing me and she went to investigate. she was back instantly to tell me that he had tripped and fell off of a high cliff that we had climbed down a while back while we were trying to escape and that he and his servant had died in the fall. we back tracked to there and i found that he was close to my size, so i took off his armor and wore it for myself. getting the same idea, the spirit with me possessed the body of his servant. we decided to sneak into the castle of the evil lord to see if we could find out why they were after us and maybe sabotage their plans. we both recognized that the plan would likely get me killed.

next thing i know we are walking up to the gate of the castle. I try not to talk and look very pissed off at every question someone asks of me. apparently this is exactly the attitude that the knight usually takes to everyone and makes for good cover. the plan was for me to go hide and gather info from servants. on the way past the main dining hall the lord sees me and invites me to join a meeting of the other knights under his banner.

I walk in and he is already sitting casually on a large chair, almost a throne. there are 4 other knights. three male knight that I didn't get a lot of detail in dream about, though I seem to remember that one was much older than the other two. the 4th knight was a 20 something female with a sharp eye. she was wary of me from the first she saw me. I had spot open for me and my servant. I was the only one with a servant in the meeting. they went on for a while about finding the 'stones' and the lord about his master a bit. throughout the meeting the lord became really suspisicous of me and took the suggestion of the female knight to test me. he did something with his hands and asked me what i saw. I saw nothing. my spirit friend saw it though. she spoke directly into my thoughts and told me to look just over the lord's left shoulder and said that a black door had appeared 5 feet off the ground there. I told him that i saw the black door as always. as i said that another white door appeared over to the right about 50 feet or so. I looked at it and everything else slowed and went 'gray'. like all i could focus on was the white door. then the voice of the man from the first dream spoke to me. he said i had done a good job. i had found one of the spheres. it was in the castle hidden somewhere. then he put a image of it in my head. it was the same as the red one except it was bright blue and glowing. he called it Aquarius. told me that once i found it to come back here and the door would open for me and take me back to him. then the door vanished.

I realized that was standing in the middle of the room and all the knights were asking me why I had walked towards that wall. I said I had taken a fall and wasn't feeling right and left to me chambers. my servant led me there using the memories of the servant before they died. the female knight followed me because of her suspicions of me. my spirit friend felt her following us and told me. on a whim i grabbed the spirit friend and kissed her and threw her on the bed. well this must have been what the female knight expected of me because she stopped being suspicious of me. i then woke up

third one will come after i get some more time.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
8/13/17 7:04 p.m.

The two most memorable I've had:

The first was recurring, especially in my 20's. I still occasionally have it when I'm stressed. I'm standing in the middle of a clearing in the jungle. There are about 5 or 6 paths coming from the sides of the clearing and meeting in the middle, sort of like the spokes on a wagon wheel. All at once, different animals, all dangerous (gorilla, elephant, tiger, etc) come bursting out of the jungle, one per path, coming directly at me at full speed. I'm trying to decide which path to take, knowing I'll have to fight my way past whichever animal is on that path. I stand in the middle pivoting back and forth, frozen by my inability to choose. Eventually, just as they are about to converge on me, I wake up, usually in a cold sweat. I've actually had the dream often enough that the last time it started I remember thinking, in the dream, "not this again" . . .

The other involved someone stealing my sister's car. My dad and I tracked the perp to a parking garage where I cornered him, then shot him twice in the head. At that point, I turned to my dad and said "You hungry? Let's go get something to eat." The callousness, even in a dream, was extremely disturbing to me.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
8/13/17 9:46 p.m.

Last night I dreamed of eating marshmallows. When I woke up my pillow was gone.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/17 5:35 a.m.

Well I just woke up from a weird one...

I was standing in a small arena-type building, watching what I'd best describe as the finale to a Pitch Perfect type show. I immediately notice that it seems odd the entire floor is covered in commercial carpet tiles.

The two "stars" come out on rollerskates, which again seems odd given the carpeted floor, and I quickly realize their lack of skating knowledge ability is overshadowed by their, and everyone else's it would seem, lack of musical abaility.

There are two guys in the audience near me standing at microphones "singing", while the "stars" are making a pitiful attempt at leading the crowd around the arena floor in a conga line, while still on rollerskates. I briefly consider commenting that they should consider finding actual musicians for something like this, but realize quickly how futile it would be.

About then the show ends. I realize that two vehicles had joined in the conga line - a newer Challenger and K-car limo, both murdered out. They drive them to the edge of the arena to park, and the Challenger driver does a 1/2 donut to park...which again leaves me pondering the carpeted floor. As the crowd dispersed, the two "singers" now start whooping and hollering about how "they", meaning the event organizers I presume, spent a bunch of money fixing up the two cars, like it's some kind of high-budget production.

I leave, now with SWMBO, who is driving a large 1960's commercial truck of some sorts(sadly I never knew whether it was a COE or even the brand). This was very odd since she refuses to drive a manual.

At one point we swerve around a road-closed barricade, at full-speed(probably 55-60mph), because our destination is a short distance beyond it. I'm completely terrified at this point, and she makes a comment about how badly it handles, but I just quietly nod my head in agreement.

We arrive, at what I guess is the site of an estate sale of some sorts, except they've bulldozed all the structures/trees/overgrowth from the property. There are two cars off to the side, somehow I know these are barn-finds and for sale...except they're not. One is an RX8, and the other was something uninteresting. And that's when I woke up...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ixkHTLoyBbtX9g2Cz17v76RiysEeU6pBo38meJrKdRcTTRPLi9tU4OVfZNFbT7kJ