rjracin240
rjracin240 New Reader
8/13/12 11:30 a.m.

So heres the deal, getting ready for an event in October, bought a new set of rims now gotta get some tires. What R-Compound/street radials are out there in a 225/50or45-15 size are there that somebody can tell me about. I am about ready to shoot some web designers, cause all I am finding are some absolutley worthless sites@ Goodyear, Maxxis, Hankook, Kumho, etc!

Thanks ahead of time for the help

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
8/13/12 11:37 a.m.

Just go to the tire rack's website and search. That covers most R-compounds anyway.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/12 11:42 a.m.

Forget the tire manufacturer's sites, just look up your size on Discount Tire Direct & Tire Rack. Between the two of them they cover all the major tire brands.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/12 11:46 a.m.

DTD does not bother to list sizes that they don't have in stock. Website Fail.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
8/13/12 11:46 a.m.

Tire rack, that is all.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/12 11:49 a.m.

Tire Rack isn't all, as it won't tell you about the 225/45-15 Nitto NT-01. We have a tendency to run that tire at FM, although I think you can find every one of the below tires at FM.

In the 225/45-15 size, you have:
- Toyo RA1
- Toyo R888
- Toyo R1R
- Nitto NT-01
- Hankook RS3

That's pretty much it. There might be a Hoosier or some other pure competition tire, but that's what you can run on the street. Don't know the 225/50 options.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/12 12:12 p.m.

Tire Rack has a few glaring holes in their product line (Falken, Nitto, etc) so that's where DTD comes in. I also check Vulcan Tire (GRM advertiser) and Summit Racing (BFG, Hoosier, M/T, etc).

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
8/13/12 1:39 p.m.

Goodyear has a 225/45 15. Fast, but shortlived. I like them.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
8/13/12 2:24 p.m.

Since I've never been on the websites of the tire companies listed in OP's statement, I can only conclude that these companies, like others for many other consumer goods, HAVE websites so that they can appear WITH IT. BUT, since they don't sell to John Doe and Bob Smith, their websites aren't geared to the individual.

I think you could fill a book with all the worthless websites that are out there.

Keith
8/13/12 2:48 p.m.

Personally, I've always found very good technical information on tire manufacturer websites. Rolling diameters, tread width, carcass width, suggested wheel sizes, weight - it's all there.

Streetwiseguy, a Goodyear what? A streetable DOT R-comp?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
8/13/12 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Keith:

Goodyear Eagle RS. Streetable, well, sure. They hold air... 2 grooves, 5/32nds depth, 40 treadwear... I didn't read the OP as wanting a streetable R, just an R. If he wants streetable, I'd go with Nitto or Toyo too. How about Yokohama A048? 225/50 is out there, and in my limited experience with them I was happy.

Keith
8/13/12 5:42 p.m.

I was interested for my own purposes. I want more streetable R-comp options

Although "R-Compound/street radials" would imply something that can actually be driven on the street, unlike Hoosiers or other DOT-legal R comps that are slicks with a small groove.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2BIAIze0anImIygdMz2vPb3H3r7qDr3pcXjNngCPP0ZJ0SUVzKuTfLjLqIvf4Psy