Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/21 12:58 a.m.

On the most recent outboard restoration I'm doing, I have some small lettering.  Stock it was just painted body color, but I think it would make a nice detail to have it highlighted.  Any good how-tos?

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
5/11/21 6:17 a.m.

For someone not used to doing this kind of work, I'd recommend a paint pen. You should be able to find an assortment of colors at your local craft or hobby store. 

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/21 9:06 a.m.

At a recent show I commented on some very well done raised lettering.  The builder told me his process which surprised me.

He paints the whole panel the color he wants the finished raised letters. Then he painted the whole panel the finished panel color.  Then with fine sandpaper he sands off the panel color from the letters.  Follows with clearcoat.

YMMV

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/21 9:11 a.m.

Another option may be to use a blotter pad type of system. Get a ball of rags backed with something like a piece of rubber, soak the paint onto the ags of the blotter, and roll the blotter across the lettering to transfer it to the top edges you want highlighted.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/11/21 11:30 a.m.

I believe traditionally, things like license plates, are done with a roller over the raised letters.  This would need to be a very small roller of course!

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/21 12:41 p.m.

I dunno. I've only ever done tires and I used a paint pen. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SrVDkNxJK8NhzmBUDL03TnocMwJIZ91Deu9bsZuGGJS7syEXL9MqPyoBlLw0qFEQ