1 2
SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/26/21 8:01 p.m.

I'm trying to locate a family member who we have lost contact with 40 years ago.  The phone numbers and emails I can find easily have been dead ends.  I am willing to pay for a locating service, but there are a lot of scam ones.

Any recommendations?

miatafan
miatafan GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/26/21 8:44 p.m.

I would start with generic Facebook or LinkedIn searches

johndej
johndej Dork
9/26/21 9:01 p.m.

Won't give you contact info but family tree now . Com has been 100% accurate for physical address info dispite being full of pop up misleading adds 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/21 9:02 p.m.

40 years is a long while, sure they are still alive?  

Strangely enough, I had semi-decent luck trying to find heirs for my Dad's first cousin by checking out Ancestry.com and such, then google/facebook searching for those people.  Once I found them on there I sent messages and was able to get some contact info for cousins that people that we didn't know about.  Might be able to find a connection that way.

Send me a PM with the info you have if you want help?

Folgers
Folgers New Reader
9/26/21 9:04 p.m.

People search now.com 

I’ve used it to find friends from the past, and customer phone numbers that were lost. 

The website seems a bit sketchy but has provided results. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/27/21 6:17 a.m.
miatafan said:

I would start with generic Facebook or LinkedIn searches

Did those. 

Found her in both places, but the accounts are not very active, and she never responded. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/27/21 6:18 a.m.
johndej said:

Won't give you contact info but family tree now . Com has been 100% accurate for physical address info dispite being full of pop up misleading adds 

Not sure that will work. She's my step sister, so she's not actually in my family tree. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/27/21 6:21 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yes. She's still alive. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/27/21 11:18 a.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

I think you glossed over johndej's site recommendation due to the name of it. https://www.familytreenow.com/ is a site that claims to be "for genealogical purposes" but really lets you look up addresses, etc for anyone in the world, and it's pretty creepy how accurate their data is. You can probably find her current address using that site.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/27/21 12:18 p.m.
dculberson said:

I think you glossed over johndej's site recommendation due to the name of it. https://www.familytreenow.com/ is a site that claims to be "for genealogical purposes" but really lets you look up addresses, etc for anyone in the world, and it's pretty creepy how accurate their data is. You can probably find her current address using that site.

OMG!!!  This site!  

About 20 years ago I lost touch with a former roommate.  We lived together in the University of Toledo days and a little after.   He has a simple name of Rich Miller.  I have thought that has always made him hard to find.  His history is unique.  Grew up in Maine with divorced father then after high school went to mom near Indianapolis.  From there he went to grad school in Ohio where we lived together.  I knew he had later lived a few years in NC and his job took him to Milwaukee.  That's the last I know.  I figure with this past history he is not afraid to move and could be anywhere.  

Using the site above I searched his name and in the advanced search gave our old shared address.  I'll be damned.  It turns him up.  Shows our former address and gives 3 former addresses in NC as well as former addresses in WI.  The site lists some possible relatives and the second on that list is our 3rd room mate with whom he lived with longer than me.  I am not on the list.  

As if that's not enough, here's the real OMG.  The site says he lives just 14 miles from me.  Should be noted that I now live 60 miles away from where he and I used to live. 

So, I disbelieve this idea that he lives in a small sleepy town just one town south of me.  Therefore, I look up the county auditor's site for that address given and ill be damned...its his name.  Bought the historic home 10-23-2020, just short of one year ago.   

The site give phone numbers and I've called them but none seem legit.  

I think I'm gonna have to take a 14 mile drive.  

Wow, the site served up a few past loves too by only giving their maiden name.  

I searched myself and the returned info is only half correct.  It gives me some potential past address in Missouri (never) and another Ohio town I've never lived in.  Possible relatives are not all true either (but half are.)  I'm now questioning the person 14 miles away?  Could the site just be trying to find someone close to me with same name???  

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/27/21 1:00 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Doing a detailed search on that site sends me "truth finder" dot com.  Is that normal?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/27/21 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, me too. There is a green bar titled: View Full Background Report [Ad]

I think that is an advertisement site to take you to some paid information.  I got my info off just the basic site itself.

Top of page there are three choices   Home   Search   My Tree

It was from the search choice that I could put in an advanced search

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/27/21 1:11 p.m.

I don't think so? I assume there are some links that take you to sponsored sites. I have an adblocker so don't see most of those. The only think I used was the default "search records" box that's top center for me. This one:

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/27/21 1:59 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I didn't gloss it over. Just haven't been able to look at it yet. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
9/27/21 2:21 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I entered info into that page, but the information generated was nothing special and didn't show anything detailed.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/27/21 2:26 p.m.

By "detailed," I mean list of former addresses. It might not be surprising to someone that doesn't move around a lot, but to see addresses from halfway across the country that I barely even remember living at is pretty neat / scary.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
9/27/21 2:28 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Ah... the info I got didn't show any addresses at all. 

Edit: user error.  I see the info now.  A little more info than I knew before, but not much.  Unfortunately, addicts can be hard to track if you don't dig into court records, which I'd suspect I'd have to pay for.  Curious, but not that curious.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/27/21 2:31 p.m.

With the little I know which is just first and last and a town that you formerly lived in for a long time you came up as the first choice it gave me.  I did not realize your middle name is Benson.   It gives address which is a metal between Copper and Silver

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/27/21 2:38 p.m.
dculberson said:

By "detailed," I mean list of former addresses. It might not be surprising to someone that doesn't move around a lot, but to see addresses from halfway across the country that I barely even remember living at is pretty neat / scary.

Dang I looked up some people and it's remarkable.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/21 3:26 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I did too. Crazy.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
9/27/21 9:20 p.m.
dculberson said:

Is there a date limit?  I did a search for me, but it only goes back two addresses prior to my current, but none of the many before when I was a kid.  I did a search for my mother and it goes back to about the same time (and actually includes one total error).

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/27/21 9:47 p.m.

I saw addresses from when I was a kid, under my parent's name mind you - I think most children don't appear in address databases since they don't have money. One address dated back to the 70s/80s. I did see some errors, probably accidental crossovers from other people with similar names.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
9/27/21 10:00 p.m.

Oddly enough it has 0 info on me. Relatives are there, but my name shows nothing. 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/21 6:11 a.m.

I searched myself. Now I know why I constantly get phone calls to sell a Summerville, SC property I've never owned. The file is about 50% wrong. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/28/21 12:19 p.m.

Searched myself. Just so I would know the same stuff about myself that John Welsh does.

Of the 19 addresses listed, every one of them was associated with me. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mlYcAVsetIvw4HNFT9LkfIjiqHUMSLBNDJR2VRE1SS4Gh7gXwiYt19Q1utNEBYJg