1 2
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/12 8:29 a.m.

I think it's funny that if you google Lemons the 24 Hours of Lemons site comes up before actual lemons.

Nice build BTW.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/29/12 8:51 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Yeah, that's on the list. The problem is that it needs to be removable to change the belt and the angles ended up a little funky. I'll probably end up bracing it back to the axle tube with something more substantial.

Maybe weld a flat plate to the axle tube with tapped holes, tie into that as well, and then triangulate / plate the thing so that it's got some bulk in more than one direction.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/29/12 9:25 a.m.

My thought: run a tube under the engine mount to the front of the outer bearing, put a double shear mount on that. Then another double shear mount on top of the axle housing. Weld a tube between the first piece and the axle tube as the bottom of a triangle.

Then make the mount plate for the bearing out of something solid, like 3/8" plate. Now make tubes to run from the front and rear double shear mounts to the mount plate. These would be bolted in. The completed assembly would unbolt easily for replacement of whatever.

From past experience, the engine mounting needs to be made so it can't slide or twist on the plate, otherwise when you get on the gas the engine can move. That's probably as easy as using bolts with a long enough unthreaded shank of the correct diameter to be a snug fit in the mount bosses, then accurately drilling holes in the plate that the bolts are a snug fit in. Then use locknuts and torque the snot out of 'em.

But get the injectors back on the Civic first, dammit.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/12 10:17 a.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Good idea, thanks.

Toyman01
1/29/12 3:52 p.m.

OK, here's the fix for the bearing mount. It's a little more durable than last night.

And video. I have determined that the Comet CV clutches are the coolest things I have seen in a while. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG5tDQvnsyo&feature=plcp&context=C39a6773UDOEgsToPDskKQcZ2Z0fcFlPijFjvWyOWl

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/29/12 4:10 p.m.

Nice. That bearing ain't going anywhere. I look forward to the video of this thing back in the golf cart!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/29/12 4:22 p.m.

Looks like you cleaned out the galvanized fitting bins at Lowe's too. Before you put the kids in that thing you better put a stop under the gas pedal. Unless you want them to take out a neighbor's house, that is.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
1/29/12 4:34 p.m.

Mind the fumes when that zinc burns off the header close the the exhaust port. If it's hot enough to burn off it'll be like breathing the fumes from welding galvanized steel. Not good for you.

BTW - those Comet CVs seem pretty cool. I'll look into those when I build the pit bike of doom.

Toyman01
2/4/12 2:52 p.m.

And another update.

It Lives!!

No video yet, but the axle is back in and it will move under it's own power. The CV clutch works like a charm. Slow speed is perfect from a creep to a 5mph cruise. Top end hasn't been tested. There are some disadvantages to living close to the police department. In the short blast I gave it down the street, it seems to be faster than stock.

I didn't realize how much difference losing 500 pounds of batteries would make. In a hard turn on concrete it will actually spin the inside tire. Surprised me to say the least. Acceleration is as good or better than the electric.

Still a few details to work out. The tank ended up being too high and hitting the seat, so it will have to be relocated with a fuel pump. I ran it today with the tank zip tied to a cross member. The only other real problem is the air filter hitting the frame. Not a big deal, I'll either massage the frame or relocate the air filter. I'd probably prefer a more industrial air filter anyways, otherwise I'll be cleaning it constantly.

I'll try to shoot some video in the next day or so and post it up.

Toyman01
2/4/12 2:58 p.m.

Oh BTW, if you ever decide to cut plastic with a cut off wheel and a grinder, don't forget it's as hot as metal and sticks to the skin. When you peal it off in a hurry because it's burning the crap out of you, there is a good chance all the skin is coming with it.

If it doesn't, the blister is instant and painful.

I strongly recommend wearing gloves when cutting plastic this way.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/4/12 4:04 p.m.

Why don't you and your friends get with me and my friends....

I was hoping it would need a wheelie bar. Maybe we can round up a skinny punk at CMP.

Toyman01
2/4/12 4:27 p.m.

We'll be at CMP flogging the usual crap Civic. Doing the front brakes on it now. Are you coming for the March race?

No wheelie bar needed yet, but there is a good chance that will change. I've still got the 500cc Yamaha collecting dust and am already planning. Think of this as version 1.0 Surplus Center has an axle that looks promising, and it's got reverse.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/4/12 5:49 p.m.

I'm on the fence for CMP. New baby. Lots of work. No one to run the shop. Can't drink because my liver is fux0r3d from the shellfish poisoning. So yeah, I'll probably be there. I think my brother's team is looking for drivers if any of your guys wanna pull double duty. The General will ride again!!!

Toyman01
2/5/12 6:00 p.m.

Now with more video.

Not a lot of room to run it, but you get the idea. My son and grandson were more than willing to take it for a short spin.

Click Me

Sorry for the crappy cell phone video.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/5/12 6:11 p.m.

It runs good but man does it need an alignment. You get rockin' and it gets this high speed wobble, feels like it's toed out a foot or so.

Come on Mike, pack up the kid and go racin'! I might be driving with another team too, I see nothing wrong with driving for 3 teams.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/5/12 6:48 p.m.

Sounds like a plan! Wanna run the shop while I'm gone?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V0QgQC1JMfiifRkzOUMVlNQflv2vLDwLG9jImnGTp8WHFm2ccXg6mgUDrH8mrApZ