vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/15/22 5:33 p.m.

...mountain biking that is.

Finally had a chance to hit the mountain for the first time in three years. Spent two hours riding the lift and running down the trails. Nice, flowy, mildly technical ride. Just perfect for me and my friend with our traditional mountain bikes.

That's looking west to Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks in NY from Bolton Mountain in Vermont.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/22 6:09 p.m.

Ah, I know that sort of scenery.

What are we considering "traditional" mountain bikes now?

7/15/22 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I have a 2000 full suspension Specialized Rockhopper. More suited to traditional trails with up and downhill action. My bike rides on 26 inch tires too. Most are 27.5 or 29 I think. The downhill bikes have a higher stem, front fork has greater travel, and the seat post is generally lower.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/22 9:40 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Ah, I know that sort of scenery.

What are we considering "traditional" mountain bikes now?

I think that's when your bike is mostly made of metals and costs less than your car cheeky

This place is probably the 2nd closest lift-access riding to me, will have to keep it in mind...

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
7/15/22 10:23 p.m.

I'm surprised you weren't changing flats all day. 

I've spent a bit of time on single speeds, rigid bikes, and retro rides - the two  biggest improvements to my riding experience have been tubeless tires and 1x systems. Dropper posts are rad but I can live without them on more XC oriented trails.

tubeless tires though...dreamy

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/22 2:42 a.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I have a 2000 full suspension Specialized Rockhopper. More suited to traditional trails with up and downhill action. My bike rides on 26 inch tires too. Most are 27.5 or 29 I think. The downhill bikes have a higher stem, front fork has greater travel, and the seat post is generally lower.

I think the term you're looking for is "cross country". It's why I spend most of my time on a hardtail with a fairly steep head angle, it's more like a WRC car than a trophy truck. If that's traditional, let's hear it for tradition :)

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
7/16/22 2:12 p.m.

There isnt any downhill mountain biking around me that doesnt involve an overnight stay, so I decided to build my own lift... 

Sort of!!

I installed a 2000 watt mid drive motor on the bottom bracket. The motor drives a 33 tooth front chain ring, with a 11-44tooth rear. There isnt much this can't climb!! 

7/16/22 3:00 p.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

That's impressive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s6KEQkX4gablB6miyQI99VlrzNDPwaYquX0ZTHXX2Etm1liEsXFl1grpjxfwXE92